violent videogames and movies cause increased violence in people

Discussion in 'The Alley' started by Superman70, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Superman70

Superman70 edited

test
  2. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

Do you have any supporting evidence or am I going to have to stab you?
    test
  3. Superman70

Superman70 edited

I have no links of evidence. it just makes sense.

Witnessing repeated violence leads to desensitization. People who are desensitized to violence will be less likely to suppress their violent urges and more likely to be violent.

Kind of like how children who grow up around abuse and violence are more likely to be violent ("Children who experience child abuse & neglect are 59% more likely to be arrested as a juvenile, 28% more likely to be arrested as an adult, and 30% more likely to commit violent crime.").

It's a gradual change.

Videogames and movies can be influential. So can books and music. If art/media can inspire a person to take action, doesn't it make sense that some of those actions will be violent ones?

I think people ignore the obvious truth because they enjoy the games and/or hate censorship. But liking something shouldn't blind you to the truth.

I enjoy games too, but I don't think that they should be targeted just because there's a link to violence. That's just how it is.

Just own up to it and say yes, if you let your 6 year old play grand theft auto and watch a serbian film, there's a chance it will fuck him up eventually. and that's why you shouldn't let him do those things.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

my kids wont be allowed to play mario cuz i dont want them tryin to go down sewer pipes and eating mushrooms
    • +Rep +Rep x 3
    test
  5. Superman70

Superman70 edited

Of course videogames could also be lessening violence overall. People who might otherwise end up committing violent acts might find find these games calming/cathartic/whatever. People who might otherwise be enemies may become friends partly through having videogames in common. I dont think a reliable study could be done on this, because it's not something you can measure.

My point is that people can be influenced to violence by these things, and there's no reason to act like it's impossible just because "it's just a fantasy and has no connection to real life whatsoever"

How influential have fictional books been?
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    test
  6. Superman70

Superman70 edited

Better safe than sorry I always say
    test
  7. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

i agree.

but does this mean those playing FIFA are more prone to go out on the field and kick the ball around?

:numaan:
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  8. AliceHouse

I would be more wary of those who accept a false premise as an obvious truth.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  9. Joro DiGiorno

Joro DiGiorno Active Member

Video games don't kill people. People kill people.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  10. Thomas Huxley

Thomas Huxley Well-Known Member

Disagree and the the desensitised arguement is retarded.
    test
  11. billy nomates.

billy nomates. rain cancels play.

you've gone from people who play violent computer games are more likely to become violent to children shouldn't be playing or watching things clearly marketed and aimed at adults.
    test
  12. AliceHouse

There was a cracked article where the writer let his kid play Grand Theft Auto. You know what happened? The kid spent a half hour pretending to be a bus driver and taking people on his route, and then being an ambulance driver and rescuing people.
    test
  13. Superman70

Superman70 edited

yeah, both of those. I'm mostly talking about young people and kids.

btw i'm not saying people who play violent games are more likely to be violent than someone that doesn't play them (title should probably be reworded). People who don't play games could be just as violent. I'm just saying that it's possible and likely that at least SOME people will be influenced to do bad things. I'm not saying someone with good sense will play COD and then pick up a gun and go on a rampage a week later.

Cool story but that kid is an exception, and also I'm not saying that anywhere remotely close to 100% of kids will be affected negatively. I think that art/media can influence people to do both good AND bad.

We already know that certain people are more susceptible to impersonate things that they see on TV and to let it affect their judgment. Like the backyard wrestling thing for example. Like Jackass for example. Some people look at posts on the internet about how to scam people out of money, and they end up trying those things. Commercials influence people to buy stupid things all the time.

So why are video games an exception?
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    test
  14. billy nomates.

billy nomates. rain cancels play.

i think it's because the reaction tends to be GAMES MADE THEM DO THIS. rather than 'oh, they may have been unbalanced to start with and this art just tipped them over the edge'. so then the reaction is to push back and go fuck off, be an adult it doesn't matter. just media reactions like marilyn manson making kids shoot up schools etc etc. if you're predisposed to being a dickhead, then whatever might be the tipping point. a bird shitting in your soup might be the tipping point. ban birds. i also think that there is undue criticism placed on games by people who will happily let their 5 year old play a violent computer game on the basis that it's a game and then wonder where they're getting adult ideas from. this is why i don't write long posts, i can't hold a coherent though.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  15. Geedorah

Geedorah King

Everyone who drank water have died.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  16. Thomas Huxley

Thomas Huxley Well-Known Member

I got edited out.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  17. Pyronoa Zoro

Pyronoa Zoro Demon Cutter

Agreed.
    test
  18. AliceHouse

I would argue the people who imitate wrestling and Jackass are the exceptions, not the other way around.
    test
  19. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

this is the longest nom post i've ever seen.

in the history books.

:numaan:
    test
  20. Superman70

Superman70 edited

I agree with this, it's why I say people who don't play games can be just as violent, and games shouldn't have to change or be banned because of this. There's always something that could 'set someone off,' it's just part of life. Games are one of those things.

I think if you argue that games can't have an influence on a person's thoughts or behaviors and that they're just empty entertainment that has no impact, you're actually not giving them the credit they deserve.

you didnt give me anything to respond to

When did I argue that it was the other way around? Again, I'm not saying this is a common thing. But you dont think most kids would use their GTA time to save lives and run bus routes, do you?
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    test