vegan/vegetarian bodybuilding

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by identity-X, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

can it be done?

This guy is vegetarian...
    [​IMG]

This guy is vegan...
    [​IMG]

There's a total of about 5 vegetarians on this entire site, and none probably work out that hard, but I want to see what everyone thinks. I could be about the size of that dude if I could focus on training for a year or so.

thoughts?
    test
  2. PopLocLou

PopLocLou I Found it on Forums

I'm sure it could be done, but is harder or better? Not sure.

Humans are omnivores. When it comes to muscle and fitness, vegetarianism is more of a political thing than a health thing.
    test
  3. identity-X

probably harder...

there are far fewer plant sources that have a complete set of all essential amino acids like meat products do. MOst are missing one here in there, so you have to go out of your way to make sure you're getting protein from different sources...leafy greens, legumes, peanuts ,etc. Soy is one of the exeptions, and it's a good thing...most vegetarians eat quite a bit of tofu, tempeh, miso and the like. And a majority of the "fake meats" are made with soy.

and whether humans are "supposed" to be omnivores or not is up in the air. a lot of folks are vegetarian stricly for health reasons.

I for one don't think it healthy for meat to get stuck and rot in my colon for weeks at a time *shrugs*
    test
  4. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

This is actually pretty interesting to me.

because diet is about 80% of your success in body building. Trust that.

Right now I get about 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. My question would be, even if you have a great training regimen, and get good sleep, supplement, stop drinking etc.. How would you make up for that lack of lean meats? Do you eat tuna at all? fish?

muscle converts to muscle.. so if you eat a steak, it's like eating muscle. Where does dairy fall in your eating habits? getting protein is gonna be your major concern. But, if these guys are doing it (and dude has some nice looking arms in first picture, no homo), then it's definately possible. It depends how serious you are about doing this.

from a fitness standpoint theres absolutely no reason you can't take steps towards a better body.
    test
  5. identity-X

here's an interesting article on the protein content of vegan foods...

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/article/471

as you can see, there are a number of high-protein vegan foods. Seitan (which is actually wheat gluten) can have up to 7 grams or protein PER OUNCE. A cup of tempeh (fermented soybeans) has 30 grams of protein (and all 9 essential amino acids). Vegetarians have the added benefit of being able to eat eggs and milk.

Now of course most vegan/vegetarian bodybuilders take supplements, and I'd a protein supplement isn't probably out of the question. To get up to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyfat doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

I just think the whole idea is fascinating (partly because I'm a vegetarian...one who doesn't work out on a regular basis btw [teet]), especially given all of the "common sense" understandings about diet and nutrition as it relates to people striving for this level of fitness.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.