use qwerty keyboard with reason?

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Diasick, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jobe

Jobe Who you think I are?

god damn...this has got me furious. this kind of mentality that i'm seeing on this thread is everything that is going wrong with hip-hop today..why artists like qwel and others like him are overlooked...and why the underground is where it'll always be at. it's not the keyboard that's the problem...it's the outlook. it's the idea that the qwerty keyboard doesn't feel right aesthetically to them, so therefore it must not be an option. i've never used the qwerty keyboard to produce, but why not try it? why automatically bash it? it's the same exact concept as the prior except that you're hitting an "A" button and creating the sound of an F flat instead of hitting the F flat "note" on the keyboard. there is no more artistry in a keyboard than there is in the qwerty...other than its shape.
    test
  2. PLT Productions

PLT Productions Baltics Most Wanted

I`m not talking about equipment.. How can u provide a product if you don`t know how to use a main tool to make it.
    U in the studio, working on a budget project, artist sits next to you, he doesn`t know exactly what he wants, he says u just play around and i`ll tell if i like the melody. How are u going to do that? By drawing notes in DAW? Are you serious?

The aren`t dumb producers on this board, u could listen to some advices.
    test
  3. Jobe

nobody said the producers on the board were stupid...and from the purposes you speak, yes...i understand your point. but to say that its not normal and to disown it for that reason is fucking absurd. "it looks different, i don't like it." look into edgar varese...the father of the synthesizer and get an idea of the realm of thought i am trying to push through to you. i am speaking from a root idea....that idea being it doesn't matter what you use to make your music....as a matter of fact...fuck what you use to make your music. who needs to know anyways? and i'm sorry, but most people go into the studio with a game plan..it's not some thumb-twiddling "play around until i hear something i like" kind of shit in my experience. a beat is sent ahead of time, written to...a hook up personally is arranged and the recording is done. or all of that is done in one sitting...but it never revolves around a couple of keyboard strokes. perhaps i'm misunderstanding what you're saying..i don't know. i know that you aren't the person that i'm so bitter towards though..it's that premize dude because of all of the bullshit he's been posting lately. check around for yourself...it's a complete joke.
    test
  4. Diasick

Diasick this guy

no where in here did i say i would use the keyboard to make a beat...

i was just wanted to know how to do it.. and i have sold beats that i have made with a computer keyboard to.. again its how you use it....
    test
  5. PLT Productions

I agree with u on hiphop beatmaking history and no one insults the guy but...
    We are musicians, some with diploma, some self taught but it doesn`t matter.
    Some are better on keys than others but that`s not a problem as long as we ain`t playing piano live in front of 500 people.
    You as a musician/composer should be musically educated, that`s your profession. how can u be a dentist if you don`t know how to use a drill and explorer. Show me a man that will go see such dentist.

As for sampling.. Albums don`t sell, no wants to pay royalties to original composer. You are always limited in certain sample, u can`t change chords if a singer wants. Man this topic is huge, just gave me few examples.

I as a producer am interested in making every genre, i`m interested in scoring, i`m making more money on electro shit than i make on hiphop shit.
    You won`t find any leasing shit in electro/pop music, u won`t find 10 beat package for 19.99$.
    And all thanks to keys.. no limits, composing and making what u want.

All what i wrote doesn`t matter if music is just a hobby to u.
    test
  6. Jobe

gut, do what feels right to you. technically, the producers here will give you sound advice. creatively...that's another story. there are 3 people that have gained my respect on this entire board...the rest are fucking trend-followers. check their soundclicks, hear for yourself. whatever's hot is the advice you're going to get to follow. (how to raise a synth sound, perhaps?) that's no way to produce music..and that's no way to live life in general i believe.
    test
  7. Diasick

Diasick this guy

where did i say i didn't know how to use the equipment..

i asked one fucking question and you got it twisted ...

i spent alot of money on equipment and i just prefer software.. all i need is a midi and some monitors and im straight.. you don't need 20k worth of equipment to make good beats ... shit most of the dudes i know with nothing are better than those guys who have alot of equipment...
    test
  8. PLT Productions

False.. Pre made beat pretty often is changed and it`s better to be changed by a producer in the same room. It`s a process and chemistry between artist and producer.
    They can change arrangement, it`s not obligatory to be in the studio but budget projects will make you fly across ocean and attend studio sessions.
    test
  9. Diasick

Diasick this guy

tsk tsk tsk.. being creative isn't about putting thousands down on equipment
    test
  10. PLT Productions

Gut, i didn`t say u don`t know how to use equipment i was just talking overall.
    And yes, it doesn`t matter what u use, if your shit is hot, it`s hot. But there`s always a huge but and studio sessions is just one of em
    test
  11. Diasick

Diasick this guy

using software isn't going to be a deal breaker tho...
    test
  12. PLT Productions

I`m a software head too but at least a midi controller is a must man.
    test
  13. Jobe

PLT...you are only proving my point more with that whole "electro" thing...ever heard of aphex twin? creator of his own instruments? squarepusher?......chances are that if he was doing a mix for somebody, it would probably become trendy and cool in that genre if he used his qwerty for the track..do you know what i mean? it's creation that's at hand here..not hip-hop, not any genre..but the concept of creation in general and how we as producers are viewing it. there is a serious problem at hand..and i'm tired of hearing the same shit cooked 40 different ways. (more, actually.) i just feel like there isn't enough creative people out there..so when you find one, why try to stifle him?
    test
  14. Jobe

lmao, you are talking to me like i've never worked with somebody before. i do almost daily, chill with that shit. i know what you're saying..but no, not false..that is the way shit usually goes down FOR ME. sure, i'll add things..but overall, the mix is not much different. maybe i'm fucking around on the keyboard and my boy stops me..asks me to repeat it...a song is made from that..i understand. but most of the shit that i make myself for our purposes doesn't require much change. somebody you've never worked with...yes, i get your point..but don't make it a generality. it's a matter of compatibility...and chances are that he's already somewhat familiar with your work if he's even in your studio. if he hasn't ever even listened to a beat of yours...or you didn't give him a couple of samplings before you started the work...then that to me doesn't seem like the right way to approach it from the perspective of the rapper (or vocalist, whatever the fuck). whatever though, i'm out of this conversation...it's going nowhere other than making me pissed off for the way shit is being worded or explained.
    test
  15. Diasick

Diasick this guy

word.. it is but when you already have your sounds and stuff layed out and just need to make a few changes a computer keyboard can come in handy .. i don't know what your thinking but you can be as productive on a computer keyboard.

i have an MPK49 which i chose over a yamaha motif ..
    test
  16. PLT Productions

@Jobe

I agree u on that but man, qwerty is not how can u show creativity.
    Fuck, i was playing with qwerty and had a fucking soundblaster audio card back in 03, i was still making half decent shit, quality sucked but overall shit wasn`t that bad. I didn`t even want to change my audio card, i was usin it so fucking long, yeah buffer time sucked ass, fucking cracks popped up there n there but i still got my placement on royce track, made some popular local shit and when some1 heard what udio card i`m using were like ,, are u fucking nuts ,,. I couldn`t load 10 vsts i was fucking limited but i still did my thing. Lol, good times..
    After i saved some money n copped monitors, i fucking started to grow fast plus my quality became better. I saved money and copped a midi again huge step forward than i copped synth and i learned mixing by that time, all comes hand in hand n so on.. And the last thing i changed was my audio card i was pretty fucking happy with my soundblaster live 1024 and i still got it. Shit was released back in 99 - 00, shit.
    test
  17. PLT Productions

Jobe, i get that shit pretty often when artist cop a beat, pretty fucking happy with it and then he calls me and says he recorded his shit but was thinking bout bridge or outro, doesn`t matter. He basically met a chick in the studio that agreed to sing a bridge for him, so here i am, getting in my car and going to studio to make a bridge.
    test
  18. Jobe

big big respect on what you've done. i hear you...i was in a very similar situation. i still have an issue with my sound card with the shit that i make on my computer....any recommendations for windows pc?
    test
  19. PLT Productions

With electro shit it`s even more complex, u always have 2 different bridges, huge breakdowns a lot of shit involved, 50 tracks and it`s almost obligatory to attend studio session cuz 9 times out of ten smt should be changed.
    test
  20. Jobe

see, you and i are making different music. but i respect what you are saying..and am actually making note of it. obviously an intelligent dude...it's just the whole genre-gap. the shit i'm making is def considered "lo-fi instrumentalism"..more in the vein of sixtoo and low in the sky than royce. (although i have always liked to listen to his music.) not saying that one is better than the other...i'm not one of those "it's underground or its nothing" kind of people...but we are definitely coming from different ends of the spectrum. either way, respect...and keep up the good work. i've listened to your shit even way back when you first signed up and people actually posted their beats...you've always been a good producer.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.