Upgrading My Mic...

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Ziah, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziah

Ziah New Member

Ok i have a $50 dynamic microphone from RadioShack..the next step up would be getting a new mic for $100-150..so can someone recommend good mics that are in that range of money?..get at me
    test
  2. H20

H20 New Member

let us hear some audio samples to judge ur voice....cant just grad a mic...it has to suit ur voice...
    test
  3. Ziah

Ziah New Member

test
  4. Mr. Verbalist

Mr. Verbalist How am I doin?

Shure SM58. A good dynamic mic.
    test
  5. Ziah

Ziah New Member

alright thanks, i'll look into that one..upping for more suggestions
    test
  6. Ziah

Ziah New Member

ok ive decided to get.. "Shure Beta 57A Supercardioid Dynamic"
    test
  7. Loced-Out

Loced-Out LoCed-Out aKa L-O

^^Why do you want another dyamic? why dont u get a condenser? there like 45645533 times better
    test
  8. Ziah

Ziah New Member

name a good condenser mic and then we'll talk...caus ei might get the blueberry mic from Aze
    test
  9. MC Redemtion

MC Redemtion Is The Mic On?

You can get a Behringer B-2 Pro Condenser for $150....you can get the MXL 990 Cardioid Condenser for $70.....MXL V63M Condenser for $100.

I have the Behringer B-2 Pro Condenser btw....I like the mic...but soon down the road gonna cop a Shure KSM. Also if your going to look into a condenser microphone....you'll need Phantom Power to run it....can buy the device alone...or buy other equipment that has it built in such as mixers and pre amps.
    test
  10. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

Studio Projects B1 ~~~~ $100
    Audio Technica AT2020 ~~~~ $100

Both BANGIN condensors
    test
  11. Loced-Out

Loced-Out LoCed-Out aKa L-O

behringers suck. mxl are trash. try the b1 studio projects or the AT2020 like LCD said.. they are very good condenser mics for there price. i would recomenned you to get one of them. but you will need a mixer/pre amp with phantom power to turn the mic on. im bout to start using the b1 very soon after i get my emu soundcard. mic looks very good.
    test
  12. headless verseman

headless verseman JERSEY NUCCUH

lemme say, the mxl mics are great condensor's at a starters price

i own one
    test
  13. Ziah

Ziah New Member

the AT2020 caught my eye..damn that shits sweet.
    test
  14. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

marshall mxl v67g 100 bucks
    sp b-1 100 bucks
    at 2020 100 bucks

that's all you need to know
    test
  15. c.a.l.i

c.a.l.i New Member

whoever said condensors are better is a fucking idiot best mic for 100 dallors shure58 dynamic mic its a mono mic but you record on the left side then insert the file into the right side and you get stereo sound shure58 dynamic i got best mic for that price condesors are overrated only thing really better would be a shure75 or shure78 something like that but they like 400 bucks outta my range now
    test
  16. Aze'

Aze' that's the dummy alarm

^ he ALMOST got it completely right folks!

Ziah, I see you're interested in buying my mic - and let me crack EVERYONES head on this board who thinks I'm 'greedy'. DON'T BUY A CONDENSER!.....

Look, heres the bottom line, in lamens terms, condensers are powerful mics, they pic up alot - so unless you have a suitable recording environment (i.e; vocal booth) then you're not going to like what you hear after the mix is done. That condenser is going to pick up reverbs, and outside noise. And as soon as you go to compress, or pretty much add any effect, you're going to sound like you're talking out of your nose. The BEST bet, is to go for a (apprx.) $100 dynamic such as the; e835, SM58, 57a, or Beta58a. The dynamics here are uni-directional, they pick up sound that comes from them at a certain angle (right infront) and they tend to 'block out' sounds from behind and on the side, this cuts out the pick up of most of the reverbs and noise I was talking about.

If you DO have a suitable recording environment (no reverb, no fans, no outside noise) then by all means, look into some condensers, but all the 'home studio' condensers - are pretty garbage.. You're not going to find anything for under $900 thats REALLY worth the money.. and heres a list of mics for rap/r&b vocals in order...

- TLM-103 - $900
    - BLUE blueberry - $1,000
    - U87 i - $3,000 (but I hear they're going for cheaper now)

^^ those are the best you're getting in a reasonable price range.

Ziah, if you do have a good recording environment, or care to create one (it isn't that expensive) then yea, go for the blueberry - I'll workout a price with you. If not, then go for one of the dynamics I listed.

As for C.A.L.I, you were right - he should go for dynamic, but, I don't get what you're saying about the left side thing, lol.
    test
  17. headless verseman

headless verseman JERSEY NUCCUH

for me the Aze, i'd think the selling point on condensors is that they pic up all the sound, and its very clean

but ima aim u for a question about dynamics since im buying a new one anyway so i can have both
    test
  18. State Reps

State Reps New Member

really good post...everything except that u have to spend a G to get a great mic. Find a mic that fits ya voice and what u want to hear....dont look at the price tag.

example: I like how i sound on the babybottle....but dont like how my homegirl sounds on it. She sounds NICE on the Cad m9, but my lil homeboy who is 13 and has a sort of high pitched voice doesnt sound as good on the CAD. He prefers the Rode K2 for his voice, I prefer the AT 3035 on his voice. when it comes to mics, its all about how u want to sound...preamps play a part in that too

and the left side thing....you dont have to go thru all that trouble...just record in Mono then mixdown to stereo..lol @ the pasting channels..it works, but its way easier to just record mono, then mixdown
    test
  19. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

You don't have to spend $1,000 to find a good sounding mic, you need to KNOW what sound your going for, know what equipment will give it to you, and know how to use that equipment.
    test
  20. Aze'

Aze' that's the dummy alarm

$900 folks, I said $900 ;)

To me, for rap/r&b vocals (if you're trying to open a studio) the only mics to get start at $900. Yeah, you could find a mic that fits you decently for $600 - but it's not going to fit you as good as one of the grade A mics will... And it's also alot more likely to only fit you, not many other people you record... So yea, FOR ME, it's not worth getting a mic under $900, I've tested them all, and, yea...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.