upgrade for quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by FlameSpitta, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

the converters in the 1820 are WORSE than in the 1820m....
    test
  2. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

not leaps and bounds tho again I never brought up the 1820m even tho ur statements are correct they are invalid to my point. also worse is subjective I as well as others that I know like the sound of what u would consider lofi and are willing to settle for less to get more ease of use and flexibility (ie anything over EMU) I hate Emus work arounds so to me even if the sound in the card is a little bit better the card is worse kuz I have to work around it to get what I want done
    test
  3. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

Mackie Onyx.
    test
  4. FlameSpitta

FlameSpitta New Member

^^ does it have to be the Mackie Onyx? or does the Mackie 1202VLZPro have the same quality pre amps? I was reading a desciption on both and both were said to have high end microphone pre amps. Is one better than the other?
    test
  5. AllOrNothinEnt

No, the old Mackie have pre's like what you'd find in a Motu interface, the Onyx is a WHOLE nother level.
    test
  6. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

they still make 1202s, 1402s, and 1604s, but they're based on the old circuit design and have the old preamps in them

onyx = new mackie pres, which are considerably better
    test
  7. FlameSpitta

FlameSpitta New Member

one more question before I go spend some money I dont have yet, I'm leaning towards the Onyx, but is that going to be a better buy than a focusrite chanel strip or the presonus. I knwo the channel strips have the compressors, eqs, and gates along with them. Since it looks like I have to spend abuot $500 anyway, whats the better buy out of the Onyx and the channel strips?
    test
  8. AllOrNothinEnt

Channel strips in general aren't what they're made out to be.
    They try to give you everything in one, for a low price, and often something is fucked.
    EQ doesn't hit right, compressor is bland, etc.
    Stay away from channel strips if you can, try to get seperate pieces of equipment in that situation.

The Onyx mixer has great pre's, great converters, and a talk back mic.. it's a good piece of equipment.
    test
  9. FlameSpitta

FlameSpitta New Member

I appreciate every thing. thanks for the input
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.