upgrade for quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by FlameSpitta, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlameSpitta

FlameSpitta New Member

I have an AT3035 mic and I just bought and AT3060 tube mic, which almost sounds like a lateral exchange. I also have the Presonus Tubepre and E Mu 1212m. Is there something I should be doing to make this "mic upgrade" worth it or should I return it and try a completely different mic, or pre, or whatever?
    test
  2. SIMANTICS

SIMANTICS THE RAPPER YOU WANT TO BE

i dont know what state your from but if you bouaght it from an audio store like guitar center etc in ny or many other states ... you cant return mics its against the law
    test
  3. FlameSpitta

FlameSpitta New Member

I bought it on ebay, it said they had a 30 day return policy. I dont know if that was just a gfeneral statement from the seller or not, but I didnt see anything that said otherwise
    test
  4. SabastianThe5th

SabastianThe5th New School

Why the fuck is it against the law to return mics? All though I wouldn't want getting a used microphone if I'm buying one unless I'm paying used price for it.
    test
  5. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

to do a 'proper' upgrade, and notice a significant change, you'd have to upgrade everything...soundcard, mic, preamp, room

if anything i'd get a new pre, as the soundcard is already decent
    test
  6. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

because it is a known fact that people that return mics are 92% more likely to put the mic in body parts we don't want to think about...

...now just imagine the health concerns...
    test
  7. FlameSpitta

FlameSpitta New Member

so sell the mic and upgrade the pre, or will the new pre reveal the worth of the new mic? and I probably will need to see what pre's are my best option ranging from about $150-$250. money is funny right now.
    test
  8. doctah

imho

...I wouldn't bother "upgrading" from a cheap $100 pre to a $250 pre. Wait till you're closer to 150-250 X 10...then upgrade...
    test
  9. FlameSpitta

FlameSpitta New Member

thats a bit steep, can you be a buit more realistic. IF $150-$250 isnt enough, I'm sure I dont have to go into the 4 digit range for an upgrade.
    test
  10. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

MOST stores won't let you return a mic, do to health reasons.
    If someone had a contagious disease, and spit in the mic, as most rappers tend to do, it will be there when another person buys the mic.

So try the mics out first, so you don't have to worry about exchanging them.
    test
  11. doctah

lol @ my creative editting..

....didn't mean it literally...
    test
  12. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

i'd look into the $500+ range for an upgrade

going for something the same price as what you have isn't really an upgrade
    test
  13. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

health reasons. i dont wanna mic from a gingavitis havin nigga
    test
  14. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

something a lot of the people here need to understand is that spending an extra $30 on a new mic/preamp or whatever isnt gonna change ur quality. When dealing with stuff in a certain price range ease of use, comfort, ect are things that are whats important kuz quality isnt gonna make a huge jump for $50-100 u gotta spend a significant amount more to get the difference in quality. A 1212m will not give u leaps and bounds above a FW410 but a 1820 might. A $200 mic is not gonna be much better than a $100 mic but a $1000 preamp will be a lot better than a $500 one.
    test
  15. FlameSpitta

FlameSpitta New Member

well, whats my best option for an upgrade then? I still need to do something, even it if takes a little bit more time to get it.
    test
  16. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

how much r u willin to spend? Id probably start off in the $500 range or so
    test
  17. FlameSpitta

FlameSpitta New Member

I know the GT Brick is around the $400-$500 range. I can squeeze that out maybe, but what are my options for the prices range? Guitar Center doesnt carry too many different brands and there selection isnt much for trying out. IF you could give me a few references to look for I'd appreciate it.

and one more thing, preamp vs. mixer. is there any good mixers that would give me what I'm looking for in a mic pre? price and all?
    test
  18. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

last time i checked, the 1820m and the 1212m both used the same converters....
    test
  19. FlameSpitta

FlameSpitta New Member

^^^ I noticed that, but what about getting a good mixer instead of the pre amp? any suggestions?
    test
  20. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

notice I didnt say the 1820m i said the 1820 and the reason i say it may is because it has more inputs which means lower signal chain which means better quality. again i didnt mention the 1820m i said the 1820 and it was purely an example. do u try to find the most minute parts of my comments to comment on or is it just natural
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.