Untalented, unappreciated, or uninterested?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by BarsOfNarcomaDreams, Nov 17, 2013.

1. BarsOfNarcomaDreams

BarsOfNarcomaDreams Member

Some of the best emcees are never heard on the radio, and are sparingly mentioned in hip hop articles. Which of your favorites lack recognition? Why? How will the standard of popular rap music (varying definitions) change over the next decade or so? Do you think some of the largely unrecognized artists, contemporary or otherwise, will experience a shift in the spotlight?
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA Well-Known Member

Some artists prefer being low-key, appreciating the fans they do have instead of wanting masses of sheeple hipsterizing everything they do.

Standard of popular music won't change - it'll be following the same preset template of selling the product to as many consumers as possible. Shifts in spotlight are inevitable.

• +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  3. PreacherMane

PreacherMane Member

Cant be unappreciated cuz of internet.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  4. BarsOfNarcomaDreams

@GaLaTeA : I see we have a similar understanding of popular music. I do wonder if some aspects of "the underground" might eventually bleed into hip pop. Could you imagine how odd that might be? I'd be interested to see which artists go with it and which reject it. Great song, by the way.

@PreacherMane : True, in theory. But the internet has some faults. People often take on mob mentality because it's easier to just agree then to examine.
    test
  5. cDensley

cDensley Member

Everything played on the radio is determined by mainstream acceptance... Not quality. I mean seriously, I had to have heard "23" by Wiz Kalifah featuring Miley Cyrus at least three times yesterday... It was terrible.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  6. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

When a genre of music goes mainstream, what gets play on the radio is watered down to appeal to the largest amount of people and, in my opinion, most people are not very bright so you get a dumbed down product. Look at other genres, country music for example. The best country music is not played on the radio, the poppy stuff is. When the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack came out with more classic sounding country, the radio stations refused to play it despite the album being a massive success sales wise.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  7. Mr. Hahn

Mr. Hahn Member

Pop culture is what it is - flashy, pretty, simple. It isn't represented well by someone like Chali 2na or Big L
    test
  8. Ace the Prophet

Ace the Prophet A Prophet to the Game

I see a shift coming soon, with the increased Macklemore, J.Cole, Lupe and Kendrick being played lately. There might be a bigger increase in how lyricism is valued in the mainstream compared to the main club songs right now. I don't think it's going to be a dramatic swing, but I do feel like it's going to shift more within the near future
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  9. BarsOfNarcomaDreams

That's my point. Theoretically, what if quality lyricism and beats found their way into the radio spectrum? Over time, the bull that is featuring Miley Cyrus and the like could be systemically removed over time, if the right people have influence. Of course, choosing the right people...
    test
  10. BarsOfNarcomaDreams

Yes, and this is the beginning, I hope. I do believe there will be a dramtic swing, though when is always a variable. This certainly sounds outrageous, but there are few alternatives to progression in our music. IMO, the choices in hip hop are the enticing appeal of selling to the masses, or taking it to a slightly more intellectual level. My dream is the combination of these strategies! And I firmly believe it can, and in some cases, has been done, although not on as large a scale as necessary. Essentially, I agree with you lol if you don't want to read all that.
    test
  11. BarsOfNarcomaDreams

test
  12. BarsOfNarcomaDreams

While I am ill versed in country music, my suggestion, futile as it may be, is to fundamentally alter the general populations opinion of hip hop music and culture. This has been done before (I.e. making hip hop relateble to listeners of pop music). With tremendous, consolidated support within hip hop subcultures, could we not reach a compromise with many media outlets, expanding the range of listeners of the music we are passionate about? I refuse to let hip hop die in a forum.
    test
  13. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

I don't think the media is interested in changing.....they're raking in the money right now and it makes no sense to change the game plan. However, I never buy that hip hop is dead stuff, I think it just went back underground where it really needs to be. There will always be hip hop heads and people willing to dig through the crap to find the diamonds.
    • +Rep +Rep x 4
    test
  14. Rico Futuro

Rico Futuro New Member

test