University Kids

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Sodium, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sodium

Sodium I Get Computers Putin'

I go to community college and for the most part nobody really gives a fuck. we show up mad late to shit, barely participate, skip classes etc etc. I see people fucking w/ their cell phones and listening to their i-opds in class like fuck the teacher and the person sitting next to me he isnt tripping though he smells like weed and is probably high. I seen a nigga making a paper airplane once. Thusly my point is that we are people who are obviously here to accomplish something yet we keep it real. My impression of university kids is way different. over all these people are just operating on a different wavelength it seems. they are mad energetic and shit. All happy about doing all that work. this has got to think that perhaps in order to go to a university you must:

a) be very enthusiastic about things

b) love to do work

C) be a faggot

my theory is reinforced by people like balcksoulran and anidahwai and identity x

The question i shall now pose is directed to people who actually go to universities. first, what would you say are the general personality types at a university. What are these peoples traits and such. Would a person not hyper gay be able to thrive in such an enivronment. Second question is what is your personality type.
    test
  2. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

I guess I'm a fag :(

Initially, I had the same attitude as you towards university. I only started uni last september, which is 3 years after I could have (I'm 21, and you can start at 18). The only reason I went is because it's literally the only way into the job I want.

(Keep in mind I'm in the UK, so my experiences might be different to what you'd have)

I really like the subject I'm doing (psychology), so that helps a lot. In school, and then most of college, I wasted my time and never achieved grades anywhere near my potential. I don't know if I'm 'grown-up' now, or if it's just because I like the subject, but I definitely work harder than most of the other students... and as a result I get better grades that most as well.

What kind of personality do you need? I don't think there is one. There's geeks, slackers, party-people, shy, out-going, etc, etc. A LOT of them have that annoying 'gee, I'm such a happy (but secretly depressed), wacky university student! Look how crazy I can be!'... which I hate, but I try to find the people I get on with better. It's definitely not a case of everyone being teacher's pet. There's a lot of absence, not taking notes, going to parties til 5am the night before morning classes, etc. It's a real mixture I've found, but maybe in the second year those kinds of people will drop-out.

My opinion? You should go, finally realise your potential (I know you're like my in that respect, and I know you could definitely excel at whatever you choose) and use the system against itself.
    test
  3. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

a lot of university kids are the same.

they fuck around playing solitaire or fuck around on facebook all during class. they play their i••••. they sleep. they send text messages. then they have the audacity to try an negotiate their grades, telling you they're "usually an A student". or they'll ask you to grade their papers differently. Check out this fucking e-mail I got from one of my students today. Top is my response, bottom is the initial e-mail

FUCKASS,

I cannot find any reason to justify weighting your grade any higher than the other 110 students. It should be no problem for anyone to pass this class if they complete all the assignments. I just entered your discussion board grade and realized you did only 3 discussion board questions out of 8...that would have been an additional 50 points for simply typing a few sentences, more than enough to make passing eas. If you practically ace the final paper and exam you'll pass with a D-. Outside of that I cannot help you.

Best,

DXXXX

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wed 5/2/2007 4:03 PM
    To: IDENTIY-X (UMC-Student)
    Subject: My Final Exam

DXXXX,

This email is not typical behavior of mine. I was always brought up not to make excuses and just do what needs to be done. However, it is finally becoming clear to me that if I do not at least ask this, I am probably going to fail your class. I was wondering if you could weight my final heavier than my other exams, in hopes that I do well on the final and get at least a C- in your class.

I know I have not shown much academic merit this semester. I missed the second exam which was really really stupid, and my grades haven't been excellent, but I've had a lot on my plate this semester in every sense...my family is in a bit of financial trouble, I'm taking a few classes that are way over my head that I shouldn't have been put in. On top of all of this, I've been pledging a fraternity and I assure you it was not easy or beneficial to my grades.

I probably don't deserve to pass your class, but this was my only hope at this point in the game. I really hope you'll consider because failing this class could be a deciding factor of whether my parents allow me to return to Mizzou next year, and the reality of that not happening did not hit me, for whatever reason, until just recently.

Thank you for your time,

Andrew XXXXX​

are......you......kidding me?!?!?
    test
  4. Sodium

so in order to thrive in a university type situation you either have to be mature enough to handle the workload or be a narcissistic teacher pet? it sounds like anyone not belonging to either group will kind of just half ass it or drop out. does that seem about right/? I have this idea in my mind that universities attract stuck up people that are just all around wack by nature. plastic people.

i dont think i can do university on the strength of the fact that i only fit into the half ass it category. i cant think of anything i would want to devote so much effort into. Riz good luck w/ that pscyologicly stuff. i was in my intro to psychology class today i was like you remind me of my teacher alot. i felt quite gay for making the connection afterwards.
    test
  5. identity-X

we HATE narcissistic teacher's pets...I do anyway

it's not even about being mature enough to handle the workload...it's about putting out enough EFFORT to handle the workload.

some of my favorite students have been C students and some of my least favorite have been A students. the difference? the former comes to class. the former pays attention. the former engages in discussion. the former puts effort into writing assignments. the former makes an attempt to ask questions, in class and/or during the instructor's office hours.

the way i see it is, universities are available so people who want to learn can come and learn...why pay tens of thousands of dollars to enroll and then slack off in most of your classes.

rather, why have your PARENTS play tens of thousands of dollars...that's probably a big reason for such behavior...
    test
  6. MC Brash

MC Brash 860

The thing with school:
    I made the mistake of going without keeping the goal in mind. I didn't know what I wanted to do for work, I just went because I knew I wanted to be smart. I think that's really all that mattered to me.
    I've been to both community college and my current school, CCSU. I only seem to do well in classes that regard my major directly (English), and pretty much take a half-assed attitude towards things that don't spark my interest. Luckily, the beautiful thing about going to school, is the pre-reqs get out of the way, and then you're left with your core subject to study.
    But Listen:
    You get out of school what you put into it. It only took me about 20 years to realize that, even though I've been told. I went part-time to school in the fall, managed to rack up three A grades for myself, and I put together an EP and got a record deal. I busted my ass... and although I'm not done with school yet (I'm broke as fuck.), I'm managing to do everything that I want to do with my life because I went and participated.
    test
  7. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

id-x stop being gay

give the kid a c-

he's probably white

if a black/gay/woman/hispanic/diabled/vegetarian/ kid emailed u that ude prolly give him an A- minimum
    test
  8. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

aye mc brash i go 2 ccsu 2 i looked at ur myspace i never seen u there before
    test
  9. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

[funny] @ ID-X posting e-mails from his students

Isn't that an ethics issue?
    test
  10. Sodium

People go to school an pay all that money for what really? to actually learn or to be able to ultimately live a fancy lifestyle? University life serving ultimately as an ego fluffing episode in their fantastic lives. I would bet that that is whats at the core of *most* university people. they are there for the university to make them powerful and not bcause they genuinely want to know things. theyre lame.
    test
  11. MC Brash

MC Brash 860

I dunno... i took last semester off... i've done a few gigs on campus and stuff.. i was supposed to do the Busta Rhymes show but some idiot shut me down.

peace
    test
  12. identity-X

unless you can figure out, based on the message a pasted, which of the 25,000 Mizzou students sent me the e-mail then no...
    test
  13. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Some of them are lame, Just like some community college students are lame.

See, I never generalize people, especially ones I don't know, or I have never talked too. I've witnessed kids who sleept the entire class period but were geniuses regardless. I never judge a book by it's cover.

Whether Community or University it beats a Mcdonalds degree in ethics.
    I'm sure some Fry cook who jacks off on his lunch break can teach people on Calculus. I'm sure he can also teach people Time intervals as well.

I've even encountered University students who act like complete retards most the time, but when they seriously care to give a shit... They'll chew someone a new asshole.

You never really know what someone is made of until...
    test
  14. McGirth

McGirth New Member

knowledge and power aren't exclusive. you can both gain an education (genuinely wanting to know) and come to be wealthy as a result in time.

but yes, i'd say most are there to get a better job explicitly. Nothing wrong with that, if you live in the world you need money to eat, pay rent, buy property, start a family, etc... Of course they usually want more than this, they basically want to keep up with the jones. Think of them as suburbinites in training. The only problem really is that collectively they take away from educational institutions by breading a shitty environment for learning. Also I personally don't really have alot of the same concerns as these people, since i don't care about comparing myself to the jones.

Most people in the average university are like this i'd say.

If you go to the lower tier and the upper tier places you will get people who go there to actually learn. In the lower tier, you'll get alot of people that don't even try and are just there because their parents force them to go. They can also be people that haven't quite figured out yet that their current way of doing things will lead them to be the future poor, spending most of their time/money working at sitty jobs so they can keep with the latest thigns their friends are doing (this is just another version of keeping up with the jones really). Interspersed among them are a few people trying to get an education. At the higher tier, the slacker people forced to go there are gone (with the occasional son of a super rich person kid), replacing them you'll have a bunch of people looking for high paying/prestigious jobs (go getters - in short, they want to occupy a position of authority), and interspersed in them are people trying to get an education.
    test
  15. McGirth

McGirth New Member

id-x: you should give the kid a chance to get a C-. Its not like having a chance to get a C- is the biggest favour anyway. Maybe he'll work his ass off, earn that C- and next semester have a whole different attitude towards school. And if he dosen't work hard chances are he will end up with a D anyway, and will flunk out eventually anyway Maybe tell him you'll give him a chance for a C- but grade his paper HARDER then others. Your goal should be to create that drive for education in your students (or at least to take things more responsibly) not to flunk people out of university, preparing them for a future of menial labour.
    test
  16. Sodium

mcgirth you would never do menial labor? whats wrong with menial labor?
    test
  17. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

So it is alright to share a students e-mail with other people and make fun of them as long as others don't know who you're making fun of and the student doesn't know that you are doing it? That was a private e-mail bro. I mean, I'm not one to tell anybody about being nice or respectful . . . [funny] . . . we all know I have my moments, but there's a difference between people you deal with off RM and people you deal with on RM. Everybody on RM should know from the start that it is all for poops and chuckles. This is one of your students though. You're a teacher. That's not appropriate. Just my opinion on this . . . I could be wrong.

And I agree with Menaz on this. Not all college students are ignorant. The subject of God came up in Astronomy Lab (can't remember why) and I played the devils advocate (as I often do on here) and argued against God since there were so many people agreeing with one another and the one girl who wasn't agreeing (because of religion) was outnumbered 4-to-1. It wound down to me and this Christian kid whose father and grandfather are both preachers. The kid actually knew every verse I quoted and he was throwing verses out also. It was a nice and calm debate and of course he lost . . . but the point is, he held his own for nearly 2 hours after the class was over (we all took it to the hallway in the science department). When it was all said and done I told the kid that I had been playing Devil's Advocate and that I do believe in the Divine, though my faith does not rely on an unknown God that I got out of a book, but of numerous personal encounters with the Divine through Meditation and Prayer.

He lost the debate but he went down with a battle. Neither of us raised our voices and neither of us even got angry (which was pretty damn impressive). When it began I said, "For example . . . you are from an Irish or Scottish background, correct?" He looked at me like, "How the hell does he know that!?" He just said yes and I continued, "My father is Hebrew and my mother is Cherokee. So, I am of two backgrounds and you are of two backgrounds, yet we both are Americans. We view one another as members of a division . . ." then I went on further explaining why religion is flawed and how religions, once organized into a religion become the problem that they are attempting to resolve.

I pointed out that none of the prophets created religions and how the word religion itself stems from a Greek word that actually meant "Superstition" and that the Bible scoffs organized religions time and time again.

But the kid held his own. It makes it much easier to debate somebody who knows what they believe and knows why they believe what they believe. It is much easier to correct somebody when they know the verse that you're referring to and they know that you're not just pulling it out of the sky. I told him when we were finished, "Don't take anything I have said and put faith in it. I would not want you to accept what I am saying or reject what I am saying without researching what I am saying first. Research it and when we come back to this class next week for finals, if I am wrong, and I very well may be . . . then show me that I am wrong and correct me so that you can prevent your brother from going off course."

By taking sides with the feminist Atheist and arguing it better than she could, I was able to direct her disbelief in religion and show her that she wasn't actually against "God" and the concept of the Divine (because she wound up agreeing with everything I was saying) and at the same time challenge that guy (who was so certain 2 hours before) to learn more about other beliefs and to not just focus entirely on Christianity.

Not all college students are just partying it up.
    However, from my personal experience, it seems that females take school more seriously and put more work into it.
    test
  18. McGirth

McGirth New Member

absolutely nothing. I wouldn't call it menial though, thats kind of an insult implied in the term. Competitive people i was referring to in universities my post aren't going for menial labour jobs, in fact, they are trying to get AWAY from doing what people consider menial labour (i.e. physical labour, low paid service jobs, technical fields like plummer which imho are good jobs).
    test
  19. Sodium

so university kids are there to escape being normal.
    test
  20. identity-X

- There are a number of reasons why I'm not going weigh his final more...this doesn't mean I'm going to flunk him. This kid still has a chance to pass...given there is one more paper and a 100pt final to grade he can still pass the class, even if it's with a D-. Even if he gets like a 58 or 59 percent, I'm the type of person that will not flunk him.

- Why should I pass this kid when I have OTHER students who actively engage in class, visit me during my office hours, e-mail me, etc...but are still failing. This kid (man actually...he's a "non-traditional" student) doesn't "get" anything we're talking about, but goes out of his way to TRY to get it. I get EFFORT from him...something I don't at all get from the student who e-mailed me.

- This kid asked me to weigh his final heavier a few days BEFORE we even took it. Saying I'll grade his final differently before we even take it is like giving him a pass to study less than he would have had otherwise. I'm not sure how saying "you don't have to study as hard as others" is creating a drive for education.

- He missed a 100pt exam - 1/6 of his entire grade - and didn't even mention it to me until 2 1/2 months later. When others contacted me about missing an exam - anywhere from hours to less than a day after missing it - I gave them a chance to take the exam and write a short paper (one on "structure and agency", which we talked about earlier in the semester, and how that applies to their missing an exam). Give a little, you'll get a little.

- Mentioning your involvement in a fraternity as a reason for doing poorly in school doesn't fly with me...ever. Get your priorities straight.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.