understanding poetry...an ignorant mans quetion

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by jj cool L, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jj cool L

jj cool L smell my finger

How do yall read poetry? How many times does it usually take you to read a piece, do you stay with it until you completely get it? How do you judge whether it's good or not? How do you appreciate it?

Sometimes, poetry is harder to read then to write. I've tried reading poetry before, and i've enjoyed the stuff that i've read. But I still fail to understand to this day, what to look for in poetry. What others, who write it, study it see.

Right now I'm reading Charles Bukowski's "War All The Time" and I have to say, that it's the best poetry that I've ever read. The style he writes in is completely different from any other poet and makes it more interesting, it forms a story and almost feels as if im in that moment, as if im experiencing his experience.

No other poetry has this effect on me except his. It could be due to the fact that I don't know much, yet, but I want to learn. I figure if other poetry can effect me like Bukowski's has, then I've been missing out big time.

peace
    test
  2. S. Issue

S. Issue Who?

its all dependent on what and who you are reading. bukowski tends to be very easy on readers, mostly because of the simple style he writes with. and the everyday metaphors. it isnt a battle to read bukowski. i love him. one of my favorites. but, sometimes it takes some time to look. it all depends on personal taste, and learning to look for what you like. i like poets who work with form and word meaning in their poetry, but i also like fresh metaphors and images. so, its just dependent. :]

try kevin young.
    he is great.
    test
  3. jj cool L

jj cool L smell my finger

thanks for the reply man.

i guess what i need to do is be more patient, and read what the poem is trying to say. sometimes it's hard to find anything i like about some poems, maybe it's just the poems i've been reading.

kevin young?

i'll check him out! thanks
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.