underrated movies

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Cane, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cane

Cane Guest

just movies you think people would like...not the best, just ones you like

-antitrust. not the best movie but pretty fun for what it is-would appeal to the computer saavy out there. it's about a computer programmer who gets hired to a huge company who he finds out is crooked.

-dog day afternoon. wouldn't be underrated to fans of pacino or lumet but i figure alot of people who like al pacino or movies like this or even have seen scarface too many times might like this. it's based on a true story about a guy who is holed up in a bank for a day after a botched robbery attempt.

-escape from new york. most people here understandably probably havn't seen this-alot of people who seen the sequel, escape from LA because it was newer, had alot more of a marketing push and a bigger budget. though i've always felt escape from new york was better. a really fun post-apacolyptic type of thriller about a criminal who is assigned the task of rescuing the president from new york, which in the future has been turned into a city-sized free roaming island prison. laot of the influence for the metal gear games came from this.

-the ninth gate. a johnny depp movie about a man in search of a book that will raise the devil. great acting, great writing, great cinematography, it's sort of an acquired taste but if you like the polanski feel of movies you'll love this. plus it's depp, so it takes alot to be bad.

-pi. a relatively new black and white movie(ie; clerks) about a jewish math genius who while trying to figure out the mathmatical constant behind the stock market, stumbles upon the number in the center of the meaning of the jewish religion. sounds complicated but it's very good.

-sol goode. a very underrated, unheard of comedy but it's really well done. it doesn't feel unheard of at all-it feels like it could be a real famous movie. plus it has katharine towne, who is about as hot as it gets. it's about a young aspiring-actor who is coming to grips with life.

i'll add more later if i remember any...
    test
  2. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

Run Lola Run
    The Stoned Age

"What the fuck is this?"
    "It's Blue Oyster Cult, man"
    "I don't give a fuck if it's Blue Oyster Cult. You're not playing that pussy shit in the Blue Torpedo!"
    "If it's BOC, how can it be pussy?"
    "Let me tell you something - every band puts out one pussy song so they can find out who the faggots are"
    test
  3. Krighst

Krighst ,//,';./';.//''./';''/.;

Heat
    Under Su****ion
    test
  4. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

so true @ dog day afternoon, i don't know why that film does not have more acclaim than it does, seems to be that way with a lot of sidney lumet films....serpico and network come to mind off the bat

other underrated movies:
    13 conversations about 1 thing: i don't know that it's underrated so much as people have never heard of it, the people who have seen it seem to enjoy it and appreciate. it's about the intersecting lives of a group of new yorkers. stars matthew mcconaughey, john turturro and alan arkin.

miller's crossing: a great movie about irish mobsters set in the early 20th century by the much-praised coen brothers. the dialogue is fantastic. albert finney and gabriel byrne star. john turturro, steve buscemi and marcia gay harden all appear as well.
    test
  5. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

jeus, how much more praise do u think 'dog day afternoon' should get? it received a best pic nom the year it came out (same year as 'one flew over the cuckoo's nest'), and many critics regard it as one of the finest pieces of 70's cinema. i agree about 'serpico', though...

some of my picks:

blue velvet
    the life aquatic with steve zissou
    alice doesn't live here anymore
    after hours
    the king of comedy
    test
  6. Cane

Cane Guest

those kind of people weren't the people i was referring to when i said underrated
    test
  7. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i know, but jeus said "acclaim" so i assumed that's what he was talking about
    test
  8. Tequila Kinte

Tequila Kinte New Member

Word. Pretty much every john carpenter film aside from halloween is underated.
    test
  9. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

i meant in terms of reception from the general audience, i know it's a darling of the critics, same as the other 2 films i mentioned, critics love them, but most people haven't so much as heard of them
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.