Underrated Hip-Hop Albums

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by marsblackmon23, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marsblackmon23

marsblackmon23 Active Member

i tried searching for another thread like this but couldn't so hope i'm not repeating anything but just out of interest, does anybody have any hip-hop albums that they think are unfairly slept on and underrated?

Here are some of mine-

1) Rampage-Scouts Honor... By Way Of Blood (1997)
    Rampage (of the flipmode squad) was never a great mc to me but did enough to keep me listening and interested in a song, especially on this album. I have to admit the beats really did help this album out but there are some serious gems on here including 'Flipmode Iz Da Squad', 'Get The Money And Dip' and 'The Set Up'.

2) Jamal-Last Chance, No Breaks (1995)
    Yes Jamal a.k.a. Mally G from the group Illegal. This album has some of the best production I have heard from Erick Sermon and Easy Mo Bee. Just straight hard basslines and dark tones with some gritty lyrics...and Jamal was only a teenager at the time. Lyrically I thought dude was pretty ill, hardly said anything amazing or new but his flow and voice made it sound so raw believable.

3) Kam-Neva Again (1993) and Made In America (1995)
    At first I was only going to talk about Kam's second album but both are just as slept on as each other. To me these albums had that great balance of hard hitting west coast beats with some politically aware/conscious but not preachy lyrics. Almost like the bastard children of Ice Cube's 'AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted' and 'Death Certificate' (Kam would actually go on to record a harsh diss towards Cube on the track 'Whoop Whoop')

Might add some more later.
    test
  2. chicitystock

chicitystock New Member

Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens

One of the best albums ever
    test
  3. r00k_is_rap

r00k_is_rap Well-Known Member

Eminem - Relapse

-dead-
    test
  4. marsblackmon23

yes, i play this album quite alot
    test
  5. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

yes homie!
    I always get upset when they talk about how bad ramp was. Dude was decent but he made this a really dope album. Plus he knew how to pick out good beats which is half the battle alone.
    test
  6. marsblackmon23

exactly, at least there is another person on this planet besides my uncle that thinks rampage was cool and his album was ill, alot sick tracks on this album nearly all of them really, rampage just got a unfair bad rep, i did skip through his second album rather quickly though, maybe i should give it another listen
    test
  7. Dear Diary

Dear Diary Well-Known Member

man you can't just die off your own joke lol.

anyways: Canibus- Rip the Jacker, Proof- Searching for Jerry Garcia
    test
  8. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

Goodie mob still standing.

I know this prolly isnt as under rated as the other but i consider this the best southern rap album. Ever.
    test
  9. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

rappin ron and ant diddly dog: bad-n-fluenz
    test
  10. marsblackmon23

ah man you know, still standing is dope as fuck, alot of stuff from outkast and their camp is kinda underrated including dungeon family's 'even in the darkness' and cool breeze's 'East Point's Greatest Hits'
    test
  11. marsblackmon23

wow, just looked this album up and it's too expensive for me right now but i do like buying out-of-print/rare albums so eventually i will probably give in sooner or later, some tracks are uploaded on youtube though
    test
  12. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

word. to me, nothing came close to this album (except maybe atliens)
    mos def one of my favs. it was so different from the rest of the south.
    test
  13. marsblackmon23

atliens is actually my favourite outkast album
    test
  14. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

me too. i think it's like right there with still standing but still standing was just so weird and different to me. thats why i like it a little more.

glad they back together...hope they can re-create that.

atliens tho...man that was a great record too. but i can't say it's under-rated at all. people who know that album know whats up.
    test
  15. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

Its an above average album. You're going a little far with one of the best ever. I'm not sure if it counts as an underrated album too ... I mean people who listen to rap know it's good. Like, these following albums, I think they're all "underrated" but at the same imagine most educated hip hop fans would already know and enjoy them ...

Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs
    K'naan - The Dusty Foot Philosopher
    Jake One - White Van Music
    Cunninlynguists - Will Rap for Food
    Foreign Exchange - Connected
    Slum Village - Fantastic vol. 2

... and like 4000 more just like them. Hard to pin down a good list for a topic like this, does something classify as underrated just because the mainstream isn't up on it?
    test
  16. slik_ng7

slik_ng7 New Member

Twista-Adreneline rush (1997) way ***** than all his new shit
    test
  17. marsblackmon23

i know exactly what you mean and this was going through my mind when starting the thread.

i guess what it came down to was albums that are hardly mentioned as being great but as long as you come up with your own meaning and justifications i see nothing wrong with that

of course, i used to think that most people thought Aquemini was their best (especially after it got 5 mics in the source) but more and more recently seem to mention atliens as their favourite
    test
  18. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

yea this shit is hella rare. u can find a dl link for it online if you look hard enough... i have it on a disc somewhere i can rip the cd and send you the files if you cant find it online
    test
  19. filthrich

filthrich Guarocuya

kool g rap roots of evil.. classic, underrated, slept on..thug luv story ch.1,2,3.. shits 9 minutes long. 3 songs in one. Listening to that song is like watching a movie. Probably the best concept/story song Ever. Almost every song on that album is a sick ass story being told.The most consistent emcee. probably has influenced more rappers on east coast ( nas, big l, big pun, etc..) than anyone. Been killing shit lyrically since 1987 to now..
    test
  20. Tiger Ty Fan

Tiger Ty Fan Tiger Circle Blackbelt

J-Zone - A Job Ain't Nuthin But Work

I don't know if its underrated or not, but I never hear anyone talk about it and I really like it so... to me it's underrated.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.