ummm Atheists?

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Radium, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radium

Radium f k

has anyone else noticed how atheists never seem to actually know/read anything that doesnt somehow directly relate to atheism?

like i was talking to these two atheists and I bring up things like empiricism --> rationalism and asking if they've read any socrates since they were so against the notion of things being immaterial...

nothing

like, literally nothing. and I started to realized how every chest thumping atheist i ever came across also seemed to not really know anything or read anything either

is this true in all of your experiences? I am suspecting that atheists started questioning the common view of god as a way to stand out intellectually from what they view as the ignorant majority but have yet to really cross that bridge into actually doing the work to be real intellectuals

is this true

(if you are an atheist please come in here and defend yourself against me as I try to poke holes in you)
    test
  2. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

i started questioning god after finally taking a bible study course in 9th grade. i don't read any atheist literature or anything like that, and philosophy in general doesn't really interest me.
    test
  3. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

I don't like the image attached to atheists and I see myself more as an agnostic

Atheists actually can piss me off just as much as hardcore believers
    test
  4. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

i guess you could call me agnostic too, on the grounds that i don't deny that a creator is a possibility. i still consider myself an atheist in the sense that i don't follow any sort of religion or pray to any deity.

radium seems to suggest that being an atheist is an intellectual plea for attention, when in reality it should be the default belief for anyone not yet exposed to religious doctrine.
    test
  5. Wrecktify

Wrecktify New Member

I believe some type of higher power exists..which..through my learning...is God. The world and life is too ordered for there not to be some type of higher power involved in the creation of this. I mean...think about the human body, think about the ecosystem, microorganisms...plant and animal diversity etc. These are not results of evolution or a series of gene mutations/adaptations. Unless EVERY species has a common ancestor and underwent the same genetic mutation frequency..which I highly doubt...then God exists. The more complex the genetic code...the longer it takes for a single error(s) to appear from generation to generation to cause some drastic change...like different bone structure or growing a new Fin..etc. I just don't see that explaining the origin and differentiation of multicellular organisms. Not even unicellular bacteria.

Blah, anyway..I believe God exists.
    test
  6. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

what do you base this on?
    test
  7. Wrecktify

Wrecktify New Member

Scientific evidence..fossil records., genetics..etc
    test
  8. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

want to be a bit more specific? what scientific evidence specifically are you looking at that indicates that evolution requires every species to have the same frequency of genetic mutation?

and what scientific evidence supports the existence of a god?
    test
  9. Radium

Radium f k

i made this so people could share their experiences with atheists and what they're like

they always seem so smart and self-assured

and yet the rational stance would be agnosticism which is a softer, less extreme version of what they are always huffing loudly about

so that they would throw around the term atheism so proudly (instead of the more rational agnosticism) raises some red flags about what kind of people they are

i mean has anyone ever met the atheist that sounds/talks like the biggest intellectual ever and yet has never actually read anything other than 3 chapters of nietzche and a dawkins book?
    test
  10. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

from a strictly semantic point of view, most self proclaimed agnostics are still atheist (unless they're an agnostic theist, which tends to go against the whole concept of 'faith'). the one thing that people seem to misinterpret about agnosticism is that it lends theism and atheism equal credibility. in all likelyness, the probability of there being a god seems slim, yet even acknowledging a .01% (hypothetical number) chance of it being possible makes you technically 'agnostic.'

but semantics aside i know the type you mean. actually, even though he's well versed in science, richard dawkins strikes me as the kind of militant atheist that makes the rest of us look bad. i agree with a lot of points he makes against religion and superstition, but he's a little too melodramatic about the whole thing. some of it is borderline fear-mongering.
    test
  11. Wrecktify

Wrecktify New Member

One of my old college professors from graduate school was an atheist. Yes, he thought he was(is) really smart and he comes off as self assured. Not to mention, he is a real asshole. He never openly admitted that he was an atheist, but, I found out from one of his social network pages.

Reggie_Jax, I really don't want to go into the hairy scientific details of genetics. Those discussions tend to get nasty and convoluted very quickly. I've been in plenty of them. There are a lot of websites and books that you can read though about evolution and genetics.

No, there isn't any scientific evidence for the existence of God...but... nature tends to favor disorder and randomness....yet...when those things need to be controlled for...they are done so in the most amazing ways on the molecular level.

The world and life is too amazing..there has to be some sort of divine intervention responsible for all of this. You have to study hardcore sciences in depth to appreciate these things I think.
    test
  12. Wrecktify

Wrecktify New Member

One of my old college professors from graduate school was an atheist. Yes, he thought he was(is) really smart and he comes off as self assured. Not to mention, he is a real asshole. He never openly admitted that he was an atheist, but, I found out from one of his social network pages.

Reggie_Jax, I really don't want to go into the hairy scientific details of genetics. Those discussions tend to get nasty and convoluted very quickly. I've been in plenty of them. There are a lot of websites and books that you can read though about evolution and genetics. When a macromolecule(something you can't see, even with a microscope)..something smaller than the smallest virus particle... like DNA can determine what you look like....ur metabolism, propensity for disease etc..you have to wonder about some things.

No, there isn't any scientific evidence for the existence of God...but... nature tends to favor disorder and randomness....yet...when those things need to be controlled for...they are done so in the most amazing ways on the molecular level.

The world and life is too amazing..there has to be some sort of divine intervention responsible for all of this. You have to study hardcore sciences in depth to appreciate these things I think.
    test
  13. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

no i can appreciate the complexity of nature, and i've heard that argument many times. the problem with that argument is that it doesn't answer the question, only displaces it. so instead of having to answer "how could such a complex universe come to existence?" you are stuck with the question "how could such a complex creator come to existence?"

in my opinion, injecting god into the discussion does nothing to help fill the void you seek to fill.
    test
  14. PrOFouL

PrOFouL New Member

I don't understand this agnostic crap. It's just another branch of atheism. How can you believe there's a God when you wouldn't have known God if it wasn't for religion? You either believe in God or man there's, no middle.

I don't think those who are "agonstic" understand the complexity of how belief works. In simplicity, action speaks louder than words. There is an expression that the reason smokers BELIEVE they can't die from smoking is because, cigarettes never killed them before. You don't smoke because you BELIEVE it can kill you. There is no between. You either smoke, or you don't smoke. You believe God can rehabilitate you or he can't, anything else is foolishness. You don't believe God exist, you KNOW he exists, there's a difference. That still places you in the shoes of atheism. There is a reason they say DO YOU BELIEVE in God?

This is just my interpretation, pardon my harshness.
    test
  15. Radium

Radium f k

regg surely you see how limiting though the atheist stance can be intellectually?

they have that empiricist/materialist problem where they stand by knowing only that which can be known empirically and nothing further. so you end up with a bunch of people who refuse to even consider or speculate on anything related to what is immaterial

that cripples them intellectually and probably the reason why they aren't very well-read since they think they know everything already

you yourself argue that the possibility of a god is something like "0.01%" which by implication betrays your belief that you think its mostly worthless to even begin to speculate on the immaterial

or are you too smart to speculate on the supposed natures of a creator-god/other immaterial concepts? do you not see how that might limit you intellectually?
    test
  16. KingMenace

KingMenace YOU MAD.

You can generalize people in every belief system. They all have their rotten apples.
    test
  17. KingMenace

KingMenace YOU MAD.

Atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive stances.
    test
  18. StopDrop&LOL

StopDrop&LOL Take the RED pill

Completely false.

Congratulations, you met two people who aren't into philosophy, who also expect evidence to back up claims. Big deal. You also fail at generalizations. What would happen if I walked up to two theists and questioned them on their opinions on Hume's presentation of the Problem of Evil? Would they even know what I'm talking about?

No, most atheists either realized or took for granted that their is no god, and that is all their is to it. Unlike theists, we don't base our beliefs (or lack thereof) on desire. I am an intellectual, and i was one before I was an atheist. There are many intellectual atheists; the national academy of science is a good start for this.

Overall, your viewpoint on atheists only serves to demonstrate your total and complete ignorance on who atheists are.
    test
  19. Radium

Radium f k

are you another proud atheist?
    test
  20. KingMenace

KingMenace YOU MAD.

Verrry perceptive.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.