UFC 117 Recap

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by jayoo, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SiFu

SiFu Burning Down Babylon!

Here's my breakdown of the main event....

First round was surprising as fuck I thought oh no Silva bout to be exposed in the worst way thought he was really hurt and the GnP was working effectively...

Second round I thought pretty much the same and couldnt believe the shots Silva was taking...but at the end of that round I saw the nose cut on Chael and he looked a lil gassed to me Anderson still looked pretty fresh considering...

Third round Silva seemed ok and a bit pissed of Chael got him on his back again, his own fault for chasing him onto the gorund he shoulda let him stand up....but in this round I thought it got a bit boring...Silva was taking shots but didnt seemed that fazed by them the taps on the face an shit seemed annoying more than anything....

Fourth round....more of the same.....Chael seemed gassed and was just wrestling his GnP by this point was obviously not enough to finish Silva but it was winning him rounds so you knew Silva had no choice but to not let it go to the judges....

Fifth round....Started how the fourth ended...Silva started aggressively going for submissions once he was on the floor....Chael looked tired and the small elbows and jabs seemed like they had affected him, Silva got down to business and kept busy at this point catching Chael....all Chael had to do was survive lol

Overall I think Silva was exposed against a real wrestler but its also proved a wrestler at best can only win a decision namean....I think Silva will be working very hard off his back and on TD defense from here on out so the next wrestler wont have it as easy...also we all know Silva got a chin and heart now, that was a test he got a few more fights now tho before he considered the p4p best coz a close win like this leaves people doubting him an he's gonna have to quell that

PEACE
    test
  2. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

unless he dominates great fighters and finishes them like he did to nate marquardt and dan henderson (his only two good/credible wins), then yes, i'll give him credit

however

i will NOT give him credit for getting rocked multiple times by a pillow fisted wrestler, get his ass beat for 4 and a half rounds, then pull off a last second submission against a huge underdog with the worst submission defense in the division
    test
  3. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

lol na not at all

arlovski hit him with some great combos, and the finishing punch put nelson out with zero chance of recovering or defending himself.

when JDS rocked nelson, he literally ran across the whole cage and then fell down, then recovered quickly and started defending himself

[youtube]O0_UhcpG_ww[/youtube]
    test
  4. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

ok, i take it back, it was the same except jds didnt land that last finishing shot, nelson went back against the cage and got up, otherwise it wasnt to much different, both even used an uppercut to rock em, arlovski chased em down with that right tho and jds didnt

all im saying is, i dont think arlovski hits harder than jds, more technical tho yeah
    test
  5. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

look at silva's face when he puts the triangle on, you can tell his ribs were fucked

even look at when they raised his hand, he was grimacing
    test
  6. jayoo

chael said in the post-fight interview that he believed silva about the injury because he expected more resistance and was surprised some of the takedowns were as easy as they were

then again.. who knows, but regardless not many fighters really go in there 100% anyways, if you dont get bruised and beat up some in training then you didnt train hard enough and your gonna be caught off guard when homeboy knocks you around haha
    test
  7. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

yeah jds deffo has harder and heavier punches than arlovski

AA has the better technique tho

and the majority of the time, technique > power
    test
  8. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

[​IMG]

Silva delivers a punch from the bottom that sets up the triangle.
    test
  9. Tha Cunnysmythe

Sonnen owns Silva on the scorecards:

[​IMG]
    test
  10. jayoo

punch definitely helped, he had chaels right arm and he kept him from thinkin about it with the small shots, then boom.. man its disappointing to watch him leave his right arm knowing what comes next
    test
  11. Tha Cunnysmythe

test
  12. Trey M

Trey M \.=.

Funny how Chaell tried to act as though no one saw him tap and continue fighting
    test
  13. Trey M

Trey M \.=.

very effective if you long and lanky

I remember I did it it against a blue belt my first week in BJJ
    test
  14. The Nonpareil

The Nonpareil What about me?

I don't really care to make excuses, but whether you like or dislike Silva you have to admit that him getting tagged almost 100% of the time all of a sudden by one of the least dangerous strikers he has faced is pretty suspect. Looked more like the Anderson I saw against Ryo Chonan.
    test
  15. jayoo

^chael isnt that dangerous, but hes a different striker, nobody in the ufc is technically sound they all have their own styles to an extent, and sonnen constantly came forward whens the last time someone did that? leben? but leben has no head movement, he just stuck his chin out and ran in, chael kept movin

^haha yeah i dunno if thats exactly what went down but it looked that way, silva also never completely let go of the sub, he let the arm go a few seconds after the ref came in but the triangle never moved.. so, thats up to argument, id continue in that situation too.. ariel hewani or whatever asked dana about silva holding the sub for a lot longer than necessary and dana never gave a straight answer

on the other hand, its chael sonnen, after dominating 23min you think he wants to let it go to a tap if he can play it off? hell no, that boy gonna do whatever he can in that split second to look like he can continue
    test
  16. Tha Cunnysmythe

The Gracies did a breakdown of Anderson's triangle. They called Chael's tap the 'Brazilian Tap'. You do it so that your opponent loosens his grip or the ref intervenes, then you keep fighting like it wasn't a real tap and hopefully get away with it.

Matt Lindland pulled it off against Murilo Bustamante, and Big John stood the fight up. Lindland got subbed later anyway, but Chael's training partners are notorious for it. Somey think Chael tried to do it against Maia, too.
    test
  17. Trey M

Trey M \.=.

yeah those guys are great...and really professional

[youtube]swQyHqg3NDg[/youtube]

soon as I pay my truck off im going back to BJJ classes
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.