UFC 117 Recap

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by jayoo, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

chael vs silva:
    that boy sonnen impressed me.. i kept arguing his side but never came out to say he'd win, i couldnt find it in me to commit to sayin that shit but he really went out an did exactly what he said shit he even outstruck anderson in my opinion aside from that one elbow he caught him with a lot more shots standing then anderson caught him..
    2:30 left or so and he gets locked up.. i dont know if i should call it a testament to silva's p4p spot or chaels lack of submission defense especially when it counts but thats disappointing, i cant front i wanted to see what chael had to say if he won, thats why you need the ability to finish with your gnp and not just grind out decisions..

nelson vs dos santos:
    went how i predicted, but i cant lie i made the prediction on a chance i always knew roy had a shot but im a believer in jds hes the truth, i knew standing up roy couldnt fuck with him and i wanted to say his takedown D was enough but i kept saying i wasnt sure an id be nervous if nelson got it down.. i gotta give nelson respect tho that nigga takes some shots my man was gettin washed for 3 rounds and kept in it, hes gonna be tough for any other HW

hughes/almeida:
    didnt expect it to end as soon as it did, i was goin for hughes though was thrown that he was the underdog, i dont think age got him at all hes like hendo and couture still at it, proved his point goin in there i cant front i didnt think he'd tap em like that haha it's a basic wrestling headlock

fitch/alves:
    yeah went how i expected.. unfortunately.. i was lookin forward to alves gettin back in there but knew fitch would muscle em and he did, not much more to say bout that

lookin forward to the conference now.. they got chael/silva both there..
    test
  2. jayoo

"i dont have any ill will towards anderson, i dont wish em a bad life.. but let me be honest, if the commissioner sanctioned it an dana moved id fight em right now" - chael sonnen

still got words haha na but he gave respect to silva, said the better man always wins and he was the better man tonight, even said he believed silva about the rib injury because he expected more resistance
    test
  3. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

word. people are hyping silva for this comeback win, but they should be worried. chael exposed the fuck out of silva and laid out the blue print on how to beat him. chaels submission defense is just horrible, so i wasnt surprised he was subbed

big country is tough as shit. just shows how badass arlovski is for knocking him out
    test
  4. Ralph Pootawn

Ralph Pootawn New Member

Man that nigga Nelson earned my respect today 110%.

Sonnen jacked it in the end he had that bitch won.
    test
  5. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

only watched Nelsons and silva's fights...

Nelson is a beast i don't give a fuck, he needs to get in fucking shape and he gonna be a force.......he took those big as shots then fired back and made dos santos back off from his power..lol...shit was great

Silva/Sonnen fight was sooo fucking boring till the end.......I give sonnen credit for doing some damage the first few rounds, but then he just coasted the rest of the fight and got caught because of it. The ref didn't even think about standing it up, even when all he was doing was tapping him in the sides from guard doing literally no damage.

Silva's a champ though, came in injured he didn't even have his usual arrogant intrance.......poor movement all fight even got caught...smfh

but came through in the end, saw an opening and attacked it....never lost composure.
    test
  6. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

^Maaaan, that fight was never boring. It was like Shamrock v Ortiz. Who expected Anderson to get dominated and manhandled to that degree? Seeing him get outstruck and outwrestled, then pulling the last minute sub...

Shit was legendary.
    test
  7. Trey M

Trey M \.=.

that was a legendary fight...I have alot of respect for Sonnen now....also Silva has an iron head and jaw!!...he was gettin rocked and still had triangle to arm-bar

great fight!
    test
  8. jayoo

agreed.. watchin someone like silva it doesnt get boring on the ground because you dont ever see him on his back.. shit i gotta give chael props though i think he landed more good shots standing even

sonnen got a lot of respect from me, loss or not i think he did exactly what he said up until that submission

nelson can take a fuckin shot, but i dont think its a testament to arlovski? nelson was similar to the way he was when he stumbled backwards an fell off the jds uppercut.. but it was close range, ref hopped in to stop it and nelson argued instantly, he was out for a second though i agree.. but he was close to out against jds, the distance though let the ref keep it goin
    test
  9. Tha Cunnysmythe

test
  10. Tha Cunnysmythe

[​IMG]

Struve really pulled this one out of his ass. I still don't rate him. I do like his BJJ though.
    test
  11. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

if you look at sonnen's history you can see that hes lost 8 fights by submission thus far, his submission defense is his biggest weakness.
    test
  12. Tha Cunnysmythe

And Jon Fitch still doesn't have a guaranteed #1 contender spot!

[youtube]v5m1MTTs1ss[/youtube]

Go to 4:49.

That shit is just not right. I hate to see Fitch fight (though I enjoyed his fight w/ Alves) but he deserves his shot. Dana must really not like the guy. Let him get crushed by GSP, it won't hurt.
    test
  13. DahStoryTella

DahStoryTella knowledge of self

I really hate to say this. But, I was saying before I could see Sonnen giving Silva trouble with his wrestling.

But, like Sabbath predicted, Sonnen was submitted via BJJ again.
    test
  14. jayoo

whats fucked up is dana white openly said at the pre-fight press conference that alves/fitch would be a contender fight for the next shot at the winner of gsp/koscheck.. now 3 rounds of wrestling later and hes saying "maybe, i dont know yet, its all about timing we have to see what happens"..

if i was jon fitch i woulda had words.. i know thats the boss but i woulda asked why it was called a contender fight 2 nights ago and now after the fight he doesnt know.. started talkin bout shields/kampann and we gotta see.. i cant lie, even tho i wanna see shields/gsp (if gsp wins) and hes the former strikeforce middleweight champ.. i think fitch is more deserving, hes put in his time an fights in the ufc and dominated even tho it gets boring sometimes
    test
  15. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

in b4 jake shields = UFC welterweight champ
    test
  16. mellance

mellance New Member

Im guessing its because Fitch/Kosh has a Machida/Silva thing going where they have both openly several times said that they refuse to fight eachother.
    test
  17. The Nonpareil

The Nonpareil What about me?

Silva vs Sonnen was one of the most exciting fights and finishes in the history of MMA, bar none. The motherfucker even got tagged. At one point anderson was standing in the first round with his chin up while chael was hitting him, which wasn't smart no matter how godly you feel you are, but it was fun. Chael is a terminator. I haven't seen such a relentless attack from a wrestler. Not Ortiz, not even GSP. Dude boxes ears, elbows thighs, squeezes noses, whatever.
    test
  18. The Nonpareil

The Nonpareil What about me?

Jesus.

Can't you ever, ever, EVER give the motherfucker credit for anything?
    test
  19. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

If Chael gets in training with some BJJ, he'll be unbeatable by Silva. I can't believe he rocked Silva STANDING UP. I don't think ANYONE predicted that shit. I honestly think that spending more time with Miletich will be the winning formula for Chael.
    test
  20. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

P.S. Anyone else questioning the degree of Silva's "injury?"
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.