twin turbos/ superchargers

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by OG FrOgGy JoHnSoN, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OG FrOgGy JoHnSoN

OG FrOgGy JoHnSoN ALCATRAZ INC.

why is it common to see twin turbos but i have yet to see a twin supercharger... why?
    test
  2. SEIK

SEIK New Member

Superchargers take power from the engine to run them.... turbos are alot more efficient
    test
  3. nightbird

nightbird I Do It Like It's My Job

one super charger is more powerful then twin turbos. ^ thats not true, because turbo restrict the exhaust flow. and the supercharger makes enough power that it doesnt matter taken power from the engine.
    test
  4. Verz

Verz Dubb Duece

a supercharger is more powerful in the low end, it looses boost at higher rpm, vice versa a turbo kicks in at higher rpm since the engine is spinnin faster it producing more exhaust which gives more power to the turbo. really depends on where in the rpm range you want the power to come in at. Dont know why you'd need twin superchargers
    test
  5. SEIK

SEIK New Member

Lmao.... *shakes head*

How much power do you think a supercharger offers?

I will agree that a supercharger is more powerful than a turbo....but it puts a TREMENDOUS amount of strain on the engine, and takes a considerable amount of HP to operate, The restriction a turbo adds to the exhaust equals more power at the turbine.
    So with twin turbo you have double the power from the same exaust, without costing HP. With two superchargers, you would be addin twice the power and sacrificing twice the power that it is costing to operate one. Superchargers are belt driven and hard to turn, and thats why they take power from the engine.
    test
  6. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

*Scratches head*
    test
  7. OG FrOgGy JoHnSoN

well i guess my question has been answered i.. i just always wondered why
    test
  8. Polar

Polar Rep Levels Are Ghey

*Stands next to Tigre with that "WTF?" look as well* [dunno]
    test
  9. OG FrOgGy JoHnSoN

dumb question or dumb answers?
    test
  10. SPoKeN PHiLoSoPHy

SPoKeN PHiLoSoPHy crazy ill, mad rowdy

supercharger wouldn't strain ur engine.. why do you think some cars have supercharged engines stock..
    test
  11. SEIK

SEIK New Member

Can i ask where you get your information??? Can you link me to some proof of this???
    test
  12. De'yon

De'yon Hustle Payper On the Beat

I think it depends on the aplicatioin .......

if you want power righte of the line then super charge it..........if you want power in the top end then turbo it....

most super charger I know of start making boost at 3.500,-4000 rpm and stop at 6000 and I have kno Idea about turbos
    test
  13. SEIK

SEIK New Member

No matter what your RPM is the supercharger will put strain on your engine... Just think of why having an electric fan is better than belt driven? Do you even know what the supercharger is connected to?
    test
  14. De'yon

but..... an electric fan doesnt realy give an adantaged over a crank mounted clutch fan (they dont make belt driven ones) you only realy see a power gain when switching to elctric fans when you have a fixed flex fan.....

and with some of the super chargers now days theive engineered alot of the stress out....

if a gm supercharged 3800 engine can reach 200k and still run great and have plenty of power then a supercharger cant be too bad....turbos put less stress on the engine but I think a super charger is less to have to worry about....just mount it and put on the proper sized pulley and your set (atleast with a roots blower)
    test
  15. SEIK

SEIK New Member

....So you seriously "think" that there is no such thing as a belt driven fan?
    test
  16. De'yon

if theire is I have never seen it and Ive worked on a whole lot of cars both dopmestics and imports.....

a cluch fan mounts to the crank pulleey and is powered by the crank the crank pulley has a belt or belts on it but the pulley is powering the accesoriies not being powered...

so yeah their is no such thing as a belt drivin fan on a car .........

so name a car that has has one.....
    test
  17. SEIK

SEIK New Member

I will look into it dawg but im pretty sure the fan is mounted to the water pump and i know that the water pump is driven by the crank...
    test
  18. SEIK

SEIK New Member

Aight.... Some fans are mounted to a crank driven water pump (very few). Typically the water pump is seperate from the crank, and is belt driven. The fan clutch is driven by the water pump. Either way you look at it the engine still loses HP by the fan..... It is the same principle that proves that if your driving at 100 mph and stick your hand out the window you will feel resistance. FYI... my information was recieved from the Automotive Technology 3rd Edition by Jack Erjaveck
    test
  19. De'yon

lol I i just looked at my car againe and I apologize lol.....

it's bein over a year sence I replaced my lasy fan cluch.........but I was trippin lol they are mounted to the fan whater pump cause now remember taking the fan off before every water pump I've done......

I've bein stressed out lately so forgive me....
    test
  20. SEIK

SEIK New Member

haha nah man its all good i thought you were right too for a minute.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.