......Tweaking Them Drums.........

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Styles Escobar, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Styles Escobar

Styles Escobar Ima Hustla Homie.......

Haven't started tweaking drums myself but I hear a lot of producers that have been producing for a while do. What do yall use to tweak those drums? And what exactly do you tweak? Like what qualities do you look for?
    test
  2. Jabba-Jaw

Jabba-Jaw Custom User Title

all depends on how you want them to sound

i only use EQ at the moment because that's all i have.

but for example i like my kicks to have a lot of bass, and not much anywhere else, so i tend to cut the mids and boost the low end. i like to keep the high frequencies as this tends to make the kick sound more pronounced and not just be a thud...but i think i tend to boost the bass too much though so i need to cut back.

as for snares it depends....claps and rim hits really have to crack or the claps have to have a crunch but mostly it depends on what the sound originally sounds like. it's important not to over do the effects and EQ. i like my snare drums (as in a drum kit) to have a lot of room in them..i think they sound great in a car
    test
  3. CaptainTapp

CaptainTapp New Member

I put my drums through a plugin called vinyl, which I used to distort them just slightly. I also usually use two snares for extra snap and three kick drums so my floor shakes.
    test
  4. resa_rection

resa_rection New Member

ive recently jus started producing beats. its always good to get tips and help from other producers, but tweak 'em however u like. it'll help give u a signature style that sets u apart from other producers.
    test
  5. Mr. sickVisionz

Mr. sickVisionz The Gentleman's Producer

I just filter, eq, layer and compress. Not always in that order though. If i'm layering, i'll play with the volume envelope and maybe take the attack, release and hold parts fom 2 or 3 different kicks and make them one good kick.
    test
  6. Mellow Madness

Mellow Madness aKa sTaTiK

Y Compress Drums That Are Already Compressed...

Eq.. Fine.. Compress.. No.
    test
  7. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

to be honest i dont even eq my drums. i got good drums already so i just pick one that fits the track. and pitch it sometiems when i need to.
    test
  8. ral4ever1985

ral4ever1985 CHETA

well i use eq and reverb alot sometimes i filter, but first you have to have that ear and know what to use to make that drum your using sound the way you want it to sound
    test
  9. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

if you dont start with good drums...all the tweaking in the world wont help......so if you find yourself tweaking everything and still cant get what you want....its cause the sounds your using sound like shit in the first place......
    test
  10. Styles Escobar

I understand EQing drums to get certain frequencies to be more dominant. Not entirely sure what you filter for. Can someone explain this?

@ral: why would you reverb your drums? wouldnt' it be easier if you didn't reverb it because once you're using it you then have the choice of reverbing or not? it's pretty easy to add reverb to dry drums, but i don't know of a way to "unreverb" a sound.

with layering, do you layer in a way so that the kicks fill the whole frequency spectrum? so when you use it you can just eq out the parts you don't want. or do you do it to get a certain sound?

Also, what do some of you use to do the tweaking? Battery? Adobe Audition?....
    test
  11. b-real 123

b-real 123 New Member

As far as drums go I like compression.With EQ I'll go with low cut at 50 to 75 Hz

Now I found a little guild that may help you.

*************************************************************What does compression do?

com·pres·sion
    n.
    1. The process of reducing dynamic range of a given audio signal by making the loud parts quieter and the quiet parts louder.
    Compression literally squashes the sound. It works by making quiet parts of the music louder, and loud parts quiet. By using compression and reducing the dynamic range, you can smooth out the sound by finding a medium between the lowest and highest peak volumes.

Terms to know:

Attack: How fast a compressor will react once the threshold is breached. 0ms will result in immediate action.
    Decibles (db): Measure of sound pressure.

Gain: Used to increase or decrease compressed sound. (measured in DB)

Knee: A compressor characteristic that affects the way a compressor behaves.

Milliseconds (ms): Attack and Release times measured by milliseconds.

Ratio: How much a signal is compressed. With a compression ratio of 3:1, a signal which is 9db over the threshold level would be reduced to 3db. A signal of 3db over the threshold would be reduced to 1db.

Release: How fast the compressor will return to its normal state after the signal has moved below the threshold. 0ms will result in immediate return.

Threshold: Threshold level determines which signals are subject to compression. With a threshold of -5db, all signals above this level (-4db < ) would be compressed by the set ratio.
    ---
    Before beginning, you'll need a large decible meter, preferably with a digital readout. As a general rule, your mix before mastering should fall around or below the 0db mark. Leaving a ceiling will allow you to compress and boost, without having to do too much limiting.

Drums: Perhaps the most important element in a hip-hop track. DJ Premier, Pete Rock, Alchemist, Havoc, RZA, Marley Marl, Jay Dee, and Timbaland. What do all these producers have in common? Their thumping drums. Now imagine if all those beatmakers had used weak drums. Premier's "Come Clean" probably wouldn't be considered a classic, nor would Pete Rock's "T.R.O.Y". Compression is very much needed on drums, especially in the hip-hop world. What exactly does compression do to help? Fatten, thicken, louden, and sharpen. Deep, rumbly kick drums and sharp, snappy snares. Ah, the wonders of compression.

Threshold: -10db to -15db
    Ratio: 6:1 to 8:1
    Attack: 3ms
    Release: 10ms
    Knee: Hard
    Gain: +5db to +7db
    ---
    Percussion: Although not all hip-hop tracks contain, or need percussion, a lot of the newage pioneer beatmakers are using bongos, congas, triangles, steel drums, as well as other percussion instruments. Percussion doesn't require a lot of compression because usually, the percussion track rests behind the drum track. Bongos, congas, and the likes usually have an immediate popping sound that doesn't need compressing, so the attack should be set slower than drums.

Threshold: -3db to -7db
    Ratio: 3:1 to 6:1
    Attack: 5ms to 7ms
    Release: 15ms
    Gain: +2db to +4db
    ---
    Bass: A common problem with bass is that the low notes seem to disappear into the mix while the higher notes stick out like a sore thumb. With many instruments, reverb could solve this problem. However, using reverb on the bass track usually gives it an undesirable effect. By using compression, you can bring up the lows, and submerge the higher notes into the mix. Often times, there is an initial "pluck" to the bass sound, and it can be more beneficial to let this sound slide through uncompressed.

Threshold: -4db to -9db
    Ratio: 4:1 to 8:1
    Attack: 3ms (if there is a plucking sound, use an attack closer to 7ms)
    Release: 100ms on short bass sounds / 300ms on long bass tones
    Gain: +2db to +4db
    ---
    Brass / Wind instruments: Brass and wind instruments require a "transparent" type compression. Any obvious processing can noticably ruin the sound. Brass and wind instruments have a lot of variety in playing styles. Trumpets can be played expressivly loud, and a smooth, mellow flute will need much different processing.

Threshold: -2db to -4db
    Ratio: 6:1 (lighter instruments) to 15:1 (deep brassy instruments)
    Attack: 3ms (If a transient sound needs through uncompressed, use 6ms)
    Release: 300ms
    Gain: Varies

Guitars: When working with acoustic guitars, compressors tend to reveal themselves more so it's a good idea to use a very "transparent" compression. If working with electric guitars, make small increases to the ratio and threshold.

Threshold: -2db to -3db
    Ratio: 3:1 to 4:1
    Attack: 3ms (If there is an initial pluck, use 5ms)
    Release: 30ms to 60ms
    Knee: Soft
    Gain: 0db to +1db
    ---
    Samples: If you're a sampled based producer (specifically, phrase sampler), chances are you don't get to compress several instruments in different ways. Using the following numbers, you'll be able to smooth out the entire sample without too much limiting.

Threshold: -2db to -4db (If the sample is recorded bad, and there's lots of peaks, use a higher threshold around -8db)
    Ratio: 2:1 to 3:1
    Attack: 2ms
    Release: 400ms
    Gain: +1db to +3db
    ---
    Full Mix: The final mix doesn't require much compression, although some hip-hop songs have been compressed with up to a 4:1 ratio, most aren't needed that much. A final compression should act as a limiter, keeping the signal close to the 0db mark.

Threshold: -4db to -7db
    Ratio: 1.5:1 to 2.5:1
    Attack: 5ms
    Release: 200ms to 500ms
    Gain : Varies
    ---
    Remember, those are just guidelines. There are no rules to mixing, and no rules to mastering.
    test
  12. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

you guys plz shut the fuck up. you dont know wtf yoru talking about. styles go read a fucking book and shut the fuck up.

no offense.
    test
  13. Styles Escobar

@b-real: not exactly what i'm looking for, but i'll check out the guide. thanks.

@premize: i am actually reading up on how to mix. but that's not the point of this thread. I was looking for some input as to what other producers do when........well, check the name of the thread
    test
  14. SoulBoy

SoulBoy Bitch wheres my Grammy

@ B-real...thats a nice guide right there man. @ Escobar...The reason you filter is to keep certain frequencies from taking over the mix. Too many Low frequencies usually make your track sound muddy and makes certain instruments distorted. To answer your question about layering your drums...you would EQ them together (like its one drum).
    test
  15. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

b real jus dropped a novel on you
    i suggest you save the text
    an come back an read up on it once u get to know a lil more
    readin up on it is a good idea...

some one asked what filtering is?

filtering could be anything really theres filters u could put that
    boost the mids on a sound, ones that lessen the bass in a sound anything

its basically eqing it with presets

[i think lol]

eqing + layering kicks on top of kicks is usually all i do
    i could jus use the shit i got but when i need realllly good drums ill layer a bunch of em together

most the time i have like three kicks/three snares to get a certain sound
    mess with the volumes/eqing on each of the sounds to get a certain ..well..sound

jus try everything no real key on how to do it the right or wrong way
    mess with the levels on everything til u get somethin u like
    if u keep attempting to do somethin
    theres gotta be one time u actually accomplish it
    right? lol
    test
  16. Jabba-Jaw

Jabba-Jaw Custom User Title

well if you know what you're talking about, why dont you contribute to the question asked? i'm sure everyone can benefit from your expert knowledge
    test
  17. The Militant

The Militant New Member

if you compress the channel instead of just the one drum sound it will sound better.

say you got two snares right after another for a fill-in or something. then your two precompressed drum sounds will just add up and not sit in the mix properly, but if you use the one compressor then all the sound that is currently playing will be treated as a whole.

oh yeh and i basically get the nearest drum sound to what i want, then i put some compression on it, when its compressed i eq it so it sounds how i want.

peace
    test
  18. Mr. sickVisionz

Mr. sickVisionz The Gentleman's Producer

^

Militant: When you see a comment like that, just ignore it. Dude doesn't know what he's talking about and you could probally drop real science on his head and he'd ignore it and say you don't know what you're talking about. Dude just said compressing your drums is a bad thing. Its stupid and redundant. You really can't argue or help someone who's that far off. They kinda have to come into their own self-realization about what they said.
    test
  19. the exposer

the exposer The Music Luvas

here my chain as of currently kicks and snare are run thru distressors made by empiral lab then into a spl transient designer thru a urs eq plug in if im working on the cpu, and a pultec eqp-1a if im working a studio where i usually have them rent it from harris audio.. those are the truth

the spl transient designer on the 808 drums is jus insane... they run for 600 dollars for 2 channels. and 1200 for four channels...

but it all starts with a good drum sound.. you put sugar on a turd its still a turd..
    test
  20. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

i doubt anybody on this board is recording their drum sets live, or even OWN a drum set at that...lol........so that list is useless........for the majority...and its irrelevant for soundsets......
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.