Turntable for sampling??

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by BZTactics, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BZTactics

BZTactics Up and Coming

Ok, I have the Emu1212m, so I know I gotta get a phono amp to hook a turntable to my PC, but any reccomendations? If it's just for sampling, do I need that nice of a turntable? Do I need anything else?
    test
  2. Jae Little

Jae Little DJ - Producer

If you're sampling vocals off vinyls a direct drive turntable will do just fine.
    test
  3. BZTactics

BZTactics Up and Coming

Ok, mainly for making beats and such.. I think I'ma drive to the Guitar Center tomorrow and check em out.
    test
  4. Jae Little

Jae Little DJ - Producer

That'll be a good thing to do. Matter of fact, I need to stop by GC and check some turntables out. I want the new Stanton T.60X, this shits look sweet and I heard they were sweet. But I'll use them for sampling and scratching for my beats.
    test
  5. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

any direct drive stanton or vestex will work fine, as for a cartridge, i'd go with either a Shure 44g or a Shure whitelabel

theyre both decent carts

if you want to do some scratching as well, i'd say go with a technics 1200 and shure m447 cart
    test
  6. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

u dont need a direct drive either man lol. just get the cheapest turntable u can find spend ur money on the needle and cart. with cheap direct drives ur gonna get hum from the motor that can possibly be picked up in the sound but most people dont notice. with a belt drive belts tend to slip if u put pressure on the plate (ie start scratchin and shit) but if ur only cuein with it youll be just fine. I had my str820 for 2 years before i sold it to gc to cop a direct drive to find that out for myself and to be honest my belt only slipped once. If u have the dough and its just for samplin u can get a high end direct drive and u wont hear the hum as much but the high end high quality sounding shit is usually a belt drive and even when u dont spend much on ur table u will hear less machinary from a belt drive. My thoughts have always been Dirtect Drives are for Djs Belt Drives are for producers.
    test
  7. Jae Little

Jae Little DJ - Producer

Nah, anyone will tell you that a Direct Drive turntable is better. I had two Belt Drive turntables used them for producing and djing and I didn't like them at all. The belt kept coming off, Direct Drive won't give you that hum unless you did something wrong.

Xabiton did Stanton even make an STR8-20, I know they make an STR8-30B.

But I don't know where you got the humming from because when I got some new turntables which I had the STR8-80X I didn't hear any humming. Like right now, I'm looking to cop either the Vestax PDX-2000, Stanton T.120, or Numark TT-X1. Which are all good and I'm using them for sampling, scratching, and DJing. I'm still tripping on how you had a hum.

But like I said anyone will tell you, if you're sampling get direct drive turntables.
    test
  8. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

belt drive turntables SUCK, period. theyre the behringer of the turntable world so to speak haha...they break easier, are MUCH louder (as far as motors go) and dont run as smoothly as direct drives do. they are generally cheaper though (belt drives), so if you want something inexpensive, get a belt drive, otherwise, cop a direct drive table

the only reason you'd be hearing machinery from a turntable period is one of the following:
    a) the motor is going
    b) its not grounded properly
    c) its not connected properly
    d) your cartridges arent in correctly
    e) your cartridges are shit

I've been using turntables for a long ass time, and not once have I ever recommended a belt drive over a direct drive provided someone can afford either.

I'm a quite loyal technics 1200 user :D, now if only I could find a decent new mixer that supported 1/4" inserts as well as phono....that'd be sweet
    test
  9. BZTactics

BZTactics Up and Coming

K so I got the turntable and a phono preamp, but now I got a prob, I can't get a signal to my comp, I have an emu1212m and a yahama mg10/2 mixer, what kinda cable do I need and where on the mixer do I put it in? GC sold me an RCA to 1/4 I think, help!
    test
  10. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

what phono amp do you have?
    test
  11. BZTactics

BZTactics Up and Coming

Apparently a Rolls amp, it's the only one they had in the store...here's pics of what I got....sorry for the blurry one, but I'm sure you can still see the connections. help if you can...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    test
  12. BZTactics

BZTactics Up and Coming

I got sold these kind of cables, diff brand though I think, any help??

Hosa CPR-201 Dual RCA-QTR 3.3’ Cable

http://www.musi ciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/333040/src=01340
    test
  13. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

ugh @ hosa cables, theyre budget as hell haha

anyways, just plug the 1/4" jacks into two channels on the 10/2 mixer and then run two cables from the main outs of the mixer to your 1212m inputs

the phono ends go into the phone amp, match up the colors...haha
    test
  14. BZTactics

BZTactics Up and Coming

K, I'll try that, I didn't actually get the Hosa cables, lol, just showing what kinda cables they were, hopefully I can get this workin, does it matter where on the mixer I put the 1/4 jacks? I had them on the 3rd strip, that's the only place I got any sound, but I could barely hear it and it just sounded like ass. Do I need to set my patchmix sends diff for this to?
    test
  15. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

ive heard them in my recordings with a couple different directs and yes they made a str820 it was basically the belt version of the str830 but as i said before djs use direct so for ur purposes the dd is best for u also the only reason it slips is kuz ur pressin on the plate thats why u dont scratch on belts lol
    test
  16. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

ima disagree highly i love belts. u sound like a dj tho which again is why u would use a dd. u dont put pressure on belts u just let them playback thats all they are good for. which is all u need for sampling. as for the cheap statements yea if we are talkin low end shit then it dont really matter ur gonna get hum either way ur right but when i said higher end shit usually is a belt im talkin tables that are a few grand the audiophile shit is almost always a belt drive. direct drives have their place in the game and so do belts. if u dont put pressure on the plate for a belt u will be just fine. direct drives are not needed unless ur a dj. period
    test
  17. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

is that the t50 or the t80 i have the t80 with that mixer and amp as well tho i ditched the 1212m arcane is on point with the hook up just connect ur table to channel 9 and let it ride
    test
  18. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

I am NOT a DJ. I'm a sound tech first, producer second, recording/mix engineer third.

i was generalizing on the cheap statement, as the majority of belt drive tables are inexpensive compared to dd tables.

having used both belt and dd tables, both for sampling and scratching (which is basically impossible on belts haha), the DD tables came out on top in both fields, although I do have to admit that the belts were fairly decent when it came to sampling. There was actually no real notable difference in sound quality (using the same carts + needles on both tables, same record, same track).

the main reason that i suggest dd over belts is in the off chance that you happen to say, bump the table or want to scratch or something. DD has a much faster return time than belts do, so theyre much more shock resistant

as for your hum problem, it could also be caused by something not connected properly inside the table (ie. a loose wire causing a short)
    test
  19. BZTactics

BZTactics Up and Coming

t80, got it at the GC in Lynnwood, thought about going to Seattle, but it was 12 extra miles and I had a schedule, haha. So just hook it up to channel 9 and it should give me a signal?

BTW, thanx for everyone's help!

Another thing off topic....never finance through Dell! I was stupid for not looking closer at the terms, but I'm getting charged a %30 finance rate, it's like $50 extra a month, so I have to pay that off quick or I'm gonna end up broke.
    test
  20. BZTactics

BZTactics Up and Coming

K so I hooked it to channel 9, still no signal to the comp, I'm getting sound, but really really unclear and staticy.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.