Turbo Qeustions (Tigre and other experienced guys)

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by De'yon, Jul 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. De'yon

De'yon Hustle Payper On the Beat

ok Ive bein sick so ive had alot of time to search the net for power adder for my Grand Prix Gt's 3.1 v6..

and Ive keep finding that a turbo is a very simple install on my car.

for the turbo I'm gonna go for a used or rebuilt turbo cuz there runnin $80-$300 any sugegtions?

and from their i know I think I need.....intercooler,down pipe, crossover, manifold, flanges,and oil

ok hear are the qeustions

whur do I get flanges,a downpipe, and a crossover pipe?

and what the defrence in my stockmanifold and the one needed for turbo?
    test
  2. Polar

Polar Rep Levels Are Ghey

test
  3. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

Either you do research on finding a TGP and getting the parts off that to do this.
    OR
    Get this custom done. That does cost money though. I mean the things you are looking for usually come in a turbo kit, except for crossover pipes(depending on the kit). Difference that i know of from the turbo manifold and N/A is that the turbo is thicker made to handle the increased heat that is made to generate power to the turbo. The manifolds would be custom made anyway. There are other differences but i cant think...Fucking monday and i'm at work....so i will give the other reasons later.

Turbo that i know of that ppl used on 3.1 models is a hybrid T3/T4 garret. Need an external wastegate, need a Tial BlowOff, ceramic coating, hardware, gaskets upgraded, oil lines, fuel injectors...bblah, blah

Quick question why are you doing this. Sounds like a fun project, but seems like it will give headaches. I mean you will probably only run what 5-7psi's safetly. Then you will have to keep a close eye on your tranny with the increased power. But good luck in your project.
    test
  4. Tigre

I like polars suggestion better than mine.
    test
  5. De'yon

my car has the same tranny as the turbo grand prix and the 3.1 gen II engine is low compresion so people are running up to 10-14 psi with stock internals and no problems
    test
  6. Tigre

I just read that as well, but i heard problems about handling boost safetly. So with the right upgrades to fuel, and such it will be ok to run about 12psi's. But still i saw nothing but disappointing numbers for a turbo v6 3.1.
    test
  7. De'yon

^^^

yeh I peeped the specs on a few w body 3.1 gen II's with turbos and the results suck......it dosent cost to much to do a turbo on em with a used/rebuilt turbo but the results suck ass.

I wish I could just slap an L67 (supercharged 3.8)top end on it and call it a day....but noo it wont work and the L67 cost to damn much to do a trans plant

I dont wanna give up on suping the car but I dont wanna have to pull thje engie just to do a performance cam either......I'm confused on what to do.
    test
  8. elessar

elessar adapted

i know you lost your cutty and you got this grand am but man get another car, you don't wanna drive around in a turbo pontiac grand am do you?

of course if you're like me and can't afford a new car you work with what you got
    test
  9. De'yon

its a grand prix they have the engines but the grand prix has a sportier suspension and come stock with ground fx chin spoiler ram air etc.

I could still get my cutty back st any time. but....

do you know how hard it is to finde parts for a 73 cuttlat coupe?

most of the part whur only used for 1 year.

would have finde a new passenger window crank assembly(has to be off a 73 cutt or grand prix) but after that it would be all good exept...my dads bought pull the 350 rocket and turbo350 tranny out and drop em in a 76 caddy.

but he pulling a perfectly god old 305 out of the caddy (makes me wanna sell the GP for $2000-$2500 and use the doughe to build up the 5.0 and cover the body work supplies for the cutty)

cause my dad could do the body work for me and I could do the paint an recover the seats myself after the I'd just have save the cash for some bigwheels
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.