Tuning Drums

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Ejuhcaited, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I SUCK AT POKER < DONKEY

I SUCK AT POKER < DONKEY who fuen CARES

ummmm thats because the jodeci song is slower than the shaggy song of course its gonna be lower, i dont hear the kicks playing the same notes as the bassline in either song
    test
  2. Ejuhcaited

Ejuhcaited ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

lol , i knew youd say somethin about the tempo...

But to get it to loop as tight as it did, they would of have to timestretch (which didnt exist back in 92)...so the drums were obviously chopped, designated to seperate pads, and the pattern was replayed...so the drums DIDNT have to be pitched down...the producer obviously thought it sounded better at a lower pitch

And if ur about to argue that dude probably started the beat with the ITP Break, and made the track around it (so he could of just looped)...its a remix, the original song is at the same tempo...so yes, I'm 100% certain all 3 drum loops/fills in that track were chopped out to different pads

About your kick comment, it doesnt have to, as long as the drums use a key thats in the Scale of the song, it doesnt matter...it just cant be off-key or out of tune
    test
  3. Ejuhcaited

Ejuhcaited ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

And adding further weight to my argument...

At concerts or shows where live drums are used...if theres a new song that comes on after the first thats in a different key...

Pay attention to the drummer, and watch him hit the drums from a different angle/ position to produce a different pitch
    test
  4. I SUCK AT POKER < DONKEY

its also possible one drum loop was recorded at a different tempo when it was chopped, then replayed. 50 cent in the hood is the base drum loop pitched up then a melody played over it, im sure they had no regard for the "key" of the kick.
    test
  5. I SUCK AT POKER < DONKEY

to add further weight to my arguement, peep old prog rock songs where they are playin several keys per song really fast and the drums are still the same
    test
  6. Ejuhcaited

Ejuhcaited ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Just because the song is on a major release doesnt mean the producer might not be ignorant to the laws of frequency and music theory ( Perfect Example...-You) (no offense)
    test
  7. I SUCK AT POKER < DONKEY

or it could be that they just dont care along with the countless others because it makes no difference
    test
  8. metastatik

metastatik New Member

You're misinterpreting something you saw. Drums don't change pitch depending on where they are hit...they change timbre. To change pitch you have to put tension (or relieve tension) on the drum head. Besides...the kick can only be played one way...you can't hit that from different angles.

You won't take anyone's word on it...so here's tuning info from the largest drum manufacturer in the world. As they explain...tuning drums means tuning the drums relative to each other...not other instruments. You really can't argue with that.

http://www.pearldrum.com/2002_techspeak/tuning.asp

808s and other synthesized drums are a different story...
    test
  9. Ejuhcaited

Ejuhcaited ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

yea that s true regarding timbre...but I was talkin about other drums aswell...Chekeres,Darbukas, Sanzas, Kalimbas etc used in ethnic forms of music

About the link you posted....I'm talkin about both real and synthesized drums...so I'm indirectly contradicting myself...and its getting kind of confusing...so before I go n e further (so were on the same page)...what do you mean by Synthesized drums being a different story?

To the people saying "The General public wont notice...who cares?" Well engineers do a bunch of shit...take out the 20hzrange of your kick, turn up the 60hz by 2.7 decibels, compress vocals at a 4:1 ratio......what do you got to say about that? If it sounds better then I'm gonna care...
    test
  10. metastatik

metastatik New Member

lol...Where did you say or imply that? The discussion was on kits (specifically kicks)...let's stick to that...you're confused enough.

BTW, people that play percussion instruments like those are usually called percussionists not drummers. You said drummers hit different angles to get different pitches....that is NOT TRUE.

They're a different story because they produce a strong, focused fundamental (ie definite pitch)...so they need to be in tune. Real drums don't...they have a fundamental and lots of inharmonic content because of resonance...which means they don't produce a solid pitch...which means they don't need to be in tune.

I wouldn't disagree that 808s should be tuned...but you were explicitly talking about live drum kits needing to be tuned (at least on this page of the debate)...and you were wrong...or maybe just confused. Either way...I just wanted to clarify the FACTS...not have a corny back and forth about it. I realize this is probably your entertainment though...so sorry for wrecking it with facts.
    test
  11. Ejuhcaited

Ejuhcaited ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

i meant for the discussion to be about any type of drum, that people just load up in their sequencer and start poundin away on their pads or keys without changing pitch.........

I didnt know that bit about live drums...I was just getting confused readin tuning info for "percussion" (like those strange names I listed in my other posts) and real drumkits , i thought the info was universal...I didnt know there was a distinction between the two...but kudos to you for explainin the science/theory behind it all
    test
  12. MAD SKREWS

MAD SKREWS Dear Mr.Toilet, Im Da Shi

shit must be valid because it's not the first time I hear this.. and last time was from a valid source... this just settles it for me.. i'll start looking into that...
    test
  13. M.Maestro

M.Maestro Ghost

LMAO @ hittin drums a certain way to get anothe rkey

ur a moron educated. i palyed the drums and ive neve rbeen told, play it at this angle

if im playin at an angle im doina rimshot or somethin...
    test
  14. M.Maestro

M.Maestro Ghost

niggas is fuckin morons, real talk. im not even arguing this anymore

u brought this up months ago tryin to prove u was tunin drums and gto shut down

now u bringin this nonsense upagain..
    test
  15. Ejuhcaited

Ejuhcaited ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

I was refferring to other shits like these:
    [​IMG]
    percussions like those u strike/scrape a different area or from another angle which produces different pitches...I just assumed the same applied to drums which I admitted...

So yea I was wrong about that, but you and Nova are still wrong regarding the main argument...:wink:
    test
  16. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

its half true. If u play a drum at a different angle the pitch will change but nobody does it on purpose. I used to play drums and have never once been told this either. I've tuned other percussion instruments and a snare before yes but only in the case of timpanis has it ever been releative to pitch
    test
  17. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

incorrect sir
    test
  18. th3r3isn0futur3

th3r3isn0futur3 Active Member

eh mayn if I hit my cuban maracas on the right side of my head, I get a different pitch in my ear than when I hit myself on the left....
    test
  19. Gamshooter

Gamshooter New Member

i doubt they pitched the loop for key, they pitched it for FIT the tempo more then likley

also if its not an 808 or a deep punchy drum, there is no need for it in REALITY

ive very rarley changed the pitch of a hi hat to "tune" it to a beat,

listen to any random neptunes beat

same kick drum, same pitch, different beats different keys

and alas pharell and chad are literal musical geniuses who went to school for musicaly gifted kids or some shit

so if they dont feel the need to do it....i dont either

hooray

good day gentlemen
    test
  20. J.Mack

J.Mack Highly Under-rated

*looks around with embarassed face and raises hand*

I'm sorry but shit, I don't usually fuck with the pitch knob to tune my kicks but I will play kicks in other places than Middle C cuz that doesn't always fit......It may not be perfect pitch but u gotta do what u gotta do to make shit sound a bit better and some niggaz use kicks knowin that it just stands out too much cuz of the pitch....

To each his own though - I don't see why niggaz is tryna force ppl to pitch they drums knowin that shit just ends up in a buncha fussin.......
    The best thing in this thread is the half piece of ass showin in the very first post.....
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.