tsk tsk new england.

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by absolute zero, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets' coaches, according to league sources.

NFL security officials confiscated a camera and videotape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets' defensive signals. Sources say the visual evidence confirmed the su••••ion.

Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including the possibility of docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks" because it is the competitive violation in the wake of a stern warning to all teams since he became commissioner, the sources said. The Patriots have been suspected in previous incidents.

The Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday, sources said, most likely via the telephone.

The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.

Goodell is expected to have a decision no later than Friday but that is not set in stone.

The league refused comment but did confirm Monday that they were reviewing a possible violation by the Patriots.

dynasty shmynasty.
    test
  2. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

stealing signs is part of the game in football and in baseball.

shame on the jets for making it too obvious.

only thing i disagree with it they're not allowed to be on the sideline. that was wrong. it is legal to get a zoom lens and steal signals from the stands or the booth.
    test
  3. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

They broke the rules...they should pay...I think the game should be forfeited. But then again, I hate the Patriots
    test
  4. absolute zero

The fact that the Patriots have been looked upon as this classy professional organization has gone out the window now because of this.

Let's think about it. If stealing signs is part of the game in football, why is this the first case brought to attention? Why is there such an outrage over it?

It's just like baseball's steroids investigation. Point blank - this is cheating. I seriously doubt that this is an everyday thing in the NFL. I know coaches put their hands in front of their faces in case of instances like this, but that doesn't make it a team's fault if they trust the integrity of an organization enough not to do it.

It's one thing for a brilliant coaching mind to catch on to the habits of a defense and such, but it's another for them to go out of their way to break the rules in order to know the play before the ball is snapped.
    test
  5. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

How did they actually catch them?
    test
  6. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

the patriots are classy. the only people who think this is a reputation ruiner is people who were already haters and now have a straw to grasp on.

there is no "outrage" over it. it's a sports story, but it isn't getting that much coverage. and most analysts including bill parcells say it's part of the game. stealing signs isn't cheating, sending a camraman to do it on the other team's sideline is.

in college, in no huddle situations they send out the 2 or 3 backup QB's to signal the play but one or two is a dummy and only the real QB knows who the live man is. coaches obviously don't trust the other guys.

what the patriots did was sneaky and against the rules, but not cheating. in fact, we don't even know whats on that tape and what competitive advantage it might have given them. at this point its all rumors.

stealing the signs is what you aim for. coaches cover their mouths, they have earpieces in the headphones of the QB. what teams should start doing is put in headphones for the defence's captain, or give them wristbands with plays like they do for Qb's sometimes.

not a big deal.
    test
  7. Ethan Albright

Ethan Albright New Member

Keith Bulluck called this last year! haha.... I just thought about it.

He knew they were doing it...and said so immediately after the game. That's fucked up when you're cheating a team like the Titans out of their playoff spot...

fucking cowards were scared of VY's magic in the postseason.
    test
  8. absolute zero

1. It's the cover story on espn.com

2. Here's where you start to make me bleed out of my eyes with your nonsensical rebuttals. I just can't fathom how you can think that someone doing something against the rules in a game, isn't cheating.
    test
  9. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

No offense to Patriots fans...because I like Tom Brady. He's an immense talent. This is deplorable though. The Patriots not only need to forfit the game...but they ALSO need to lose 1 or 2 draft picks. All of this cheating in professional sports is getting ridiculous. We're going from HGH to videotaping play calling now??? The Patriots have talent...USE WHAT YOU PAY FOR...no excuse for this cheating. Patriots would have still won without cheating anyway. If you're going to cheat..at least do it with someone you KNOW that you will struggle with (i.e. Indianapolis Colts). Losers....
    test
  10. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

I can only imagine how hostile the atmosphere will be on sunday when the Charger come to town...LT has already be talking...and they already don't like each other soo this spying this is throwing gasoline on the fire...
    test
  11. Ethan Albright

--New rumors say the Patriots actually had some of their defenders mic'd....and they recorded the center/qb's snaps/counts....and with the video they had they matched up the sound and video at halftime so in the 2nd half they knew exactly when the snap was coming.
    test
  12. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

LMAO
    test
  13. absolute zero

So what happens if new information keeps coming out, and there's really all the evidence there that suggests that the Patriots basically have the entire game mapped out for them by the second quarter?
    test
  14. wilmer deryou

wilmer deryou New Member

SIGNAL INTERCEPT
    After the Dolphins defeated the Patriots 21-0 in Miami last season, Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas claimed he knew the Patriots' audibles. He wasn't kidding. Teams sometimes will place microphones on their defensive players to tape the opposing team's audibles. The team then matches the audibles with the play the offense runs. In the shutout loss to Miami, the Patriots played their worst game of the season, as Tom Brady was sacked four times. Coincidence?

so should the miami dolphins throw that game away???

i mean titans weren't screwed...the tape games and prob use it for the future...they dont use it for the game there playing, u cant...break a tape down during the game....its for future use
    test
  15. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Do you even watch any news? Or read any newspapers?
    test
  16. chickenwang

chickenwang (the) state of the art

lol yeah this is kinda a bigger deal than i thought it'd be. i was surprised coaches still used signals, do they make those wacky signals managers make in baseball?

but damn i feel bad for kinda bad for the commish. look at all the shit that's been thrown at him recently. i don't think tagliabue could even handle all this arresting, cheating, and killing going on in the nfl. sure goodell will lay down the hammer, but do you really think he gets a kick out of dishing out punishments every week?

i liked when sports news used to just be about the actual games and players. those were the days.
    test
  17. absolute zero

it was the jets.

AND you can break a tape down during the game. Mark Shlerif (or however you spell it) was talking about how you could. During the first quarter or half you record all of it, figure out the pattern, and by halftime, you have it all mapped out for you.
    test
  18. wilmer deryou

wilmer deryou New Member

^ i was talking to him about the titans....

btw u got 10 minutes for halftime...u need more time then that to break down patterns... i dont care how smart u are ...the signals aint easy to break down in ten minutes if that was a case u wouldn't need tape...you could have a guy do it from up the booth ...the tape was prob used for the next time they play the jets...which they prob change anyways...so this shits getting blown up
    test
  19. absolute zero

it's not too hard to fathom that they might start dissecting calls as soon as they get the printouts from the skybox once the drive is over. a team could have it all mapped out for them by the middle of the second quarter. it's not like they save all the information they gather throughout the game until half time.
    test
  20. Ethan Albright

Wilmer.... There are guys that sit up in the booth TIL halftime.

You think they don't have time within that hour and a half to figure out what they have taped and get it sorted at halftime?.....

please. These guys aren't stupid.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.