trying to really lean for summer

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by zyclon B gas, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

started reducing my carbs already (down to about 130-150 per day from 200), but i really want to lean.

my problems: money stretched thin already, no real weights at home (a curl bar and dumbbells that total...100lbs maybe if i combine all the weights).

any suggestions on best way to lean? i'm doing my HIIT already, and starting to incorporate my own version of spinning at home when i can, but want to see if there's anything else i can do.
    test
  2. The Steve

The Steve Space monkey I am not

How low are you planning on taking the carbs?

How much protein and fat are you taking in?
    test
  3. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Try P90x workout program.
    test
  4. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

taking what, reduced carbs? probably for a few more weeks to see how my body responds.

protein is at 225-240g a day, fat is about 30-45 max.
    test
  5. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

with my schedule and the workouts i already do, i wouldn't have the time to do this, and it would probably burn more muscle than fat.
    test
  6. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Speaking from personal experiences, I gained muscle mass. You won't know until or if you try it.
    test
  7. The Steve

I meant do you plan on taking the carbs to a lower amount, or keeping them around 130-150?
    test
  8. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

with my regimen, 130-150 seems to be about the lowest i can go. i have 50 before i even eat breakfast (though they get used up due to the am workout). then i probably put in another 100 through my rice, broccoli and fruits.

@ gala - i already do a HIIT workout, along with mma training. p90x is similar to my HIIT so it would be counter-productive. If i were solely lifting weights or doing cardio i would agree with you, but doing 2 HIIT workouts will burn muscle.
    test
  9. The Steve

Aside from suggesting you lower your carbs to 60-90g a day and increase your fat intake, I would say look into some supplementation. I know there's a plethora of fat burning proprietary blends but there are some studies to back up certain ingredients... Caffeine, yohimbine, green tea, CLA, synephrine, and forskolin come to mind.
    test
  10. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

why would i increase my fat?

i drink like 4-6 cups of coffee a day, but if you're taking a fat-burning supplement, you can't really have caffeine since it counteracts the caffeine already in the supp.
    test
  11. The Steve

What do you mean it counteracts the caffeine? There are also fat burning stacks that are lighter in terms of stimulant content so that's a non issue.

You would increase the fat because you'd burn through glycogen and since the body would no longer be able to use carbohydrates as it's main fuel source, it would start to adapt to using food and body fat for fuel instead.
    test
  12. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

ah i get it.

and most fat-burning products will say "do not use with caffeine" because too much will hurt you.

also, shouldn't have caffeine for up to 3 hours after working out or it actually cranks your metabolism to eat muscle.
    test
  13. The Steve

As far as the caffeine, what's a cup of coffee about 80mg? I don't know, I have two rock stars a day which are 250mg of caffeine each, and I take a preworkout supplement that also has caffeine. So I'm prolly looking at 500mg ED and 600mg on workout days. My BP is fine and haven't had any issues. Everyone's different though.

I work out in the evening so I never have any after I workout.

Anyway, that's what I do come summer time. Load up on fruits, veggies, milk, protein, up my fat a little bit and the extra stuff sheds quick.

How low BF% are you trying to hit?
    test
  14. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

It was the first thing that came to mind....just tried being helpful.
    test
  15. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

i know. i appreciate it. not knocking you at all, just sayin why i couldn't do that so you don't think i'm blowin you off/disregarding what you said.
    test
  16. Thrizzy

Thrizzy 3.T.

Two words:

Active Recovery

So long as your diet is right, I'd say get some Glutamine and BCAA's and you're good to go.

With the right diet and amino acids you can push your body quite a bit.
    test
  17. MarcoHayes

MarcoHayes New Member

Do a Paleolithic diet(Only meat, vegetables and fruit), it will virtually cut out all of your carbs. Try to set up a workout plan that involves all of your body's muscles because cardio which you'll be doing to get lean kills off your muscles to get the proper nutrients you need because of the calorie deficit you're in. Keeping the muscles working will alert your body that it needs your muscles but don't overdo and make yourself sore. Hope it works out, also you can check out the Insanity workout for some good cardio, torrent it it's about 8 GB.
    test
  18. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

50lbs of rocks is only like $3.50

money shouldnt be a big issue if you get creative
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.