Trying to build a home studio

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by Freshcoast86, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReverseOsmosis

ReverseOsmosis aka Drone

vstclub.com is the spot...join and see
    test
  2. ReverseOsmosis

ReverseOsmosis aka Drone

you can find the full waves mercury bundle on vstclub.com just register and look in the forums

thats like 6000$ worth of plugins btw
    test
  3. JAN1TOR

JAN1TOR New Member

thx dude, mucho appreciato
    test
  4. JAN1TOR

JAN1TOR New Member

test
  5. SuomiMetal

SuomiMetal \m/

Depends on what you want to accomplish. A lot of questions about audio are very subjective. The only non-free plug-in I have is Guitar Rig 3 - it was still free though :D.

I'm not sure how green you or everyone else is to mixing, but here are some good rules to live by:
    -Before everything, make sure your recording is at good volume. Too low, and it will be hard to mix, too loud and the performance is destroyed. The volume should hit around 3/4 loudness at 0dB.

-Keep your tracks organized from most dominant to least dominant (i.e. Vocal 1, Vocal 2, Vocal 3, Ad libs). This is also a great general rule for mixing, as everything is more easily accessible.

-Pan your layered vocal tracks (tracks other than your dominant track) a bit left and right (I usually toy between -15/+15 to -25/+25) to give the vocals more body.

-Be sure to carve out a notch in terms of frequency for everything, but especially your vocals. They should obviously sit on top of everything else, but not be too loud at the same time. EQing does this well (for reference, the human voice is between 1.5kHz and 3.5kHz).

-Compressing is usually a good idea. A fast attack with a bit of a delayed release isn't a bad choice. Fast attack/fast release is basically a peak limiter. Ratio is basically a limiter once it hits 8:1, so don't go overboard on the ratio.

-A bit of reverb on the dominant track or even ad libs might help add body/color to the tone of the vocals.

There's a lot more to take into account and perform while mixing, but I think this is a decent basic set of principles to use when mixing. I'll actually be a lot better suited to talk about vocal production after I'm finished taking my Vocal Production class this month (I attend Full Sail). I'm still very much in the learning stages of mixing and recording, but recording is quite a bit easier than mixing, as the first part of my program here focused mainly on recording.

EDIT: Good looks on vstclub.com.
    test
  6. JAN1TOR

JAN1TOR New Member

thx man that was very informative.
    test
  7. mgavin1

mgavin1 New Member

how do yall compress and eq ur bass/basslines.
    test
  8. SuomiMetal

SuomiMetal \m/

EQing for bass is pretty easy. Just put a Low-Pass Filter on it and cut everything above 250Hz-350Hz. Of course you may not always want to do this though, depending on where you want the bass to sit in the mix.

Compressing is mainly done to your own standards on any level. I typically put a fast attack with a medium release on it, to keep it even. Threshold level is done to taste - obviously don't want to cut too much out. If you want the bass to be really low-key but still have presence in the mix, you could crush it down with a low threshold, medium to fast attack and slow release, ratio of 4:1 or higher, and then gain it to wherever so that your 0dB is still a good reference for mixing.
    test
  9. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

I put higher for my bass around 400-450hz
    test
  10. mgavin1

mgavin1 New Member

any use in cutting freq lower than 60-100 or whatev?
    test
  11. SuomiMetal

SuomiMetal \m/

Not really, those are barely audible.
    test
  12. DoctaSARS

DoctaSARS New Member

Some frequencies you can't (and can) hear actually block out other frequencies. I don't know much about this though. Also, some argue that sounds out of the range of the human ear can actually affect the listener in other physiological ways.
    test
  13. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

You might want to take 80hz out of the bass track to make room for the kick drum in the mix
    test
  14. mgavin1

mgavin1 New Member

i just heard somewhere that lows from 60-100 take up 'headroom', but not familiar w those terms
    test
  15. SuomiMetal

SuomiMetal \m/

This is true. I haven't experienced it myself, as I am still pretty new to engineering, but it certainly exists.

The frequency is only one aspect of it, the most important aspect of the theory you mentioned is amplitude. My class was told a story about how a live engineer that one of our professors knew would try to crank the volume so high at some of the shows he worked that people would begin to get sick because their organs were shaking so much. Also, high frequencies out of human hearing range at high amplitude can agitate people without them even knowing about it.
    test
  16. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

Frequency Masking, also phase cancellation can fuck with your mix. Where do you go Suomi?
    test
  17. SuomiMetal

SuomiMetal \m/

Full Sail. Did you go to school for it or are you self taught?
    test
  18. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

I goto school.
    test
  19. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

Skip protools unless you have the funds to get the upgrades. Otherwise you will be stuck with 32 tracks which means you will struggle to record anthing other than hip hop. For example if you are recording r and b 32 tracks might take up the hook and 1 verse. If you are even the least bit computer savvy you can find all the programs you need online (I recommend acid pro or adobe audition) then the only thing you need to cop is a soundcard. I have been using the same delta44 soundcard for 7 years and have recorded artists such as bone crusher entire album release the beast on that thing. It will run you less than 175 brand new. This studio could cost you a couple hundred or a few stacks depending on how resourceful you are. If you want further insight email me soleternity@gmail.com
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  20. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

For some extra info Freshcoast....

Try some egg crate bed foam from Walmart for some cheap sound proofing.
    you can get a lot for less that 20 bucks prolly.

and put it in the hollow area around where you're recording
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.