Trying to build a home studio

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by Freshcoast86, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perspectives

Perspectives PERSPECTIVEZ

word like every one else said, cop an mbox 2...even an mbox mini if youre just doing vocals

(hell, i just have a M audio usb interface, and my qualitys alright, considering the enviroment i record in)

and a low end condenser mic..you can cop one for as cheap as under 2 bills, and have a decent sound

if youre on a PC get a crack for protools, cubase, acip pro or adobe audition...on a mac you wont be able to...but if you cop an M box ittl come with pro tools

grab your XLR cablle, a pop filter, mic stand....throw all that shit in a closet, or a sound proof room and youre good to go...

CHECK THE TRACK "PRIMO" ON my myspace for my quality on a $500 set up...recorded in a room with horrible reverb...
    test
  2. Freshcoast86

Freshcoast86 Rap or chill

Yo thanks for everybody answers so far..
    test
  3. TunK

TunK Active Member

I heard protools is the best program you can get for vocals...I use cooledit though, I use a 150.00 AKG mic which works awsome, a 100.00 preamp from presonus that also does well, and my quality does not suck, myspace.com/duvaltj if you wanna peep what my equipment does for me. btw, i use a cheap ass old ass computer to, and it still works well. peace
    test
  4. ReverseOsmosis

ReverseOsmosis aka Drone

you can just about find any programs out there as well as plugins for free..

cubase
    nuendo
    pro tools
    magix sequioa
    sonar 8
    sony sound forge

its all preference

u can get a usb interface starting at about 100-125 w phantom power,and a firewire interface starting 150-200.i suggest a firewire if you have the fire wire connection.

u can find a condenser mic for 80-100

monitors start at 100$,and u can be a cheapskate and buy some sony mdr headphones from walmart for 20$oh and youll need a mic stand,cable,and a pop filter.if your room echo's youll also need studio foam

so look at spending at least 300-350$ on the cheapest setup you can buy.personally thats some cheapskate shit and a really lousy set up in my opinion.but good i guess for a starter.

its all preference but i suggest you get some good shit to begin with
    test
  5. ReverseOsmosis

ReverseOsmosis aka Drone

it all depends on how much money youre willing to spend
    test
  6. Soul Khansenses

Soul Khansenses Soul Khansenses

People have suggested a lot of good starting set ups, but the MAIN thing at the end of the day is the mixdown. That's where the high quality shit really comes out.
    test
  7. SuomiMetal

SuomiMetal \m/

There are some very good suggestions in this thread thus far, but I feel I should add my 2 cents as well.

As far as the programs go: I have Logic Pro 8 and Pro Tools 8 (on a Mac, obviously). I am pretty comfortable running a session from Logic and Pro Tools, although I haven't used Pro Tools nearly as much lately. It all comes down to your comfort level and what you're wanting to achieve. If you're simply recording vocals for people who are coming in with their own beats, you either need to make sure that they bounce out their beat or you have the same program. If you want to make beats for yourself or try to get into mixing, you're gonna need a better program. Cubase and Reason can be found online, depending where you look (just searched my choice torrent site and found positive results for both), but you cannot rip Pro Tools. The reason behind this is because Pro Tools requires a physical dongle to be put into one of your USB drives, which tells the program that it's OK to run.

So are you just recording, or are you mixing as well?

As far as monitors go: You really don't need anything special. In fact, the shittier your monitors are, the closer it will likely be to what the consumer will listen on. The monitors I use were part of a $20 set of components I found at a thrift store, and all of my mixes sound fine when transferred to other mediums - at least as fine as they can with my lack of experience mixing. One of my friends can mix very well, and his monitors consist of a "garage sale special," two mismatched speakers. They aren't even the same brand, yet they work fine for his purposes. In my opinion, the worst thing you could ever do is mix on headphones. Frequency response varies throughout brands, and with the speakers that close to your ear, you're going to mix much differently than you would with true monitors. The only person in your studio who needs headphones is someone in the booth. The best monitors are your ears, keep training them.

As far as microphones go: What's your budget? What genre of music do you plan on using them for? I recently used a low end dynamic mic to record vocals on a song I was working on, and they didn't turn out too bad except for the fact that I haven't found my rap voice yet.

As far as interfaces go: I use an M-Audio ProFire 610. It can be used in PT8 M-Powered (same thing as LE) or Logic, so I can seamlessly switch between programs if I needed to. I got it in a bundle with PT8 for around $500 (Gigasonic.com). It is very portable and does a great job. I've seen some people recommending USB interfaces, but if your computer has the capability, I would definitely go for FireWire. The extra money you spend on it will go towards quality and faster data transfer.

All in all, how much money you should spend on a studio amounts to how often you're going to use it and what you're using it for.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I wanted to be as descriptive as I could from what I know. I hope I helped instead of just rambling.

EDIT: Oh, also for the rest of you aspiring engineers like myself, www.gearslutz.com is a great forum for anything audio related.
    test
  8. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

I would cop a Apogee Duet and run in it in logic if you have a mac, Logics defaults plugins sound better then the default plugins, and Neumann has a new condensor mic thats like 700 it would be like a 1200-1300 set up but the pres on that duet suprisingly sound hella good, definitely better then the mbox
    test
  9. Ryan KOTD

Ryan KOTD www.kingofthedot.com

swangz u trippin if u think steinberg gets better sound than pt. it's industry standard for a reason. i do however agree about the neumann... i love mine. cleanest sound ever.
    test
  10. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

Protools HD is industry standard not LE, this threads seriously sleeping on logic.
    test
  11. Ryan KOTD

Ryan KOTD www.kingofthedot.com

logic is the shit.. one stop shop for real.. and you're right about hd, however i still think ptle is better than any steinberg software. ive pretty much used everything.
    test
  12. SuomiMetal

SuomiMetal \m/

Most are operating under the assumption he is on a PC. I would recommend Logic if he was on a Mac; hell even GarageBand can record vocals and work just fine if he's a relative beginner and Logic is a bit overbearing.

Also, if you're a beginner, you shouldn't go out spending a shitload of money on something you may or may not be able to use very well. It's like a beginner guitarist going out to buy a $4000 Les Paul and a Marshall full stack as his first setup. Learn how to use low or mid-range equipment before you go balls out.

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post that I just picked up an AKG Perception 420. It's got multiple polar patterns (cardioid, figure 8, omni), great reviews, and is under $400.
    test
  13. JAN1TOR

JAN1TOR New Member

SoumiMetal,

do you have any recommendations for mixing vocals in Logic 8? plugins etc
    test
  14. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

test
  15. Dirty Dem

Dirty Dem New Member

exactly, so invest in some good monitors, very important

you can have all the hi tec gear in the world but if your ears suck then so do you
    test
  16. JAN1TOR

JAN1TOR New Member

got anything one wouldn't have to purchase additional hardware for?
    test
  17. Freshcoast86

Freshcoast86 Rap or chill

What do use for mixing down tracks
    test
  18. Dirty Dem

Dirty Dem New Member

true, ive heard these are user friendly but keep in mind Pro Tools is the industry standard

so when you bring you shit in to the big studio to mix or master they want Pro Tools .ses files (session files)

otherwise your going to be importing everything .wav by .wav lining shit up for hours, re setting all the plugins

its just easier when its compatible
    test
  19. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

m82, I use IK Multimedia T-Racks plugins if I'm not using UAD or Waves, T-Racks plugins are pretty solid and you can bootleg them even on a mac
    test
  20. Dirty Dem

Dirty Dem New Member

i mostly use waves but you can never find cracks for em, think you can hook it up with T-racks?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.