True Portrait of the Immigrant

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by yayo, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yayo

yayo Polar Bear LaFlare

In a country of exacerbated nationalism and xenophobic attitudes, I was pleased to find an article yesterday in my local paper of the true portrait of incoming immigrants. The researchers' report analyzed a range of data -- from U.S. Census Bureau information to schools statistics -- to paint a portrait of the foreign-born community in our multi-state area. The study found immigrants to be better educated, on average, than people born locally, with nearly half of those from Asia and Pacific island nations holding four-year college degrees. Even among the least-educated immigrant groups, the gap is narrow. About 17 percent of those from Latin America and the Caribbean are college graduates, compared with 19 percent of native-born citizens.

These findings should negate one common misconceptions: the belief that the immigrant population is not educated. The largest problem for immigrants isn't education, but difficulty entering the country and work restrictions.

I highly admire those that have the courage to leave their country and their language to come to the US and a new world. Must we play king of the hill? The majority of us are immigrants afterall. Now we are saying, "Hey, this is ours. You can't come in." It's absurd. All the politicians pushing to build Berlin walls, it's senseless. There needs to be a reasonably easy path for any immigrant with needed skills to become a citizen. By that standard, most immigrants are more deserving to be a citizen than the local area population. Let them have visas, let them work, let them pay taxes, then let them become integrated within the system that we have.

People complain we have 20 million undocumented workers now? That's 20 million productive workers we would be without if they weren't here. Let them work. They came here to contribute. Why not give them a chance to pay their dues? These people need work permits and a quick road to citizenship, not impeding road blocks. Birthright should not be what is most valued in our country.
    test
  2. th3r3isn0futur3

th3r3isn0futur3 Active Member

I guess it has to do with the large amount of *mainly illegal* mexican immigrants leeching off the welfare, healthcare, and education systems - getting free rides from the goverment nahmean...

Cuz you rarely hear anythin bad about any other latins... except occassionally ricans and cubans in the east, but...

cubans are actually the most successful and educated out of all the people in america... proportionally anyways, obviously the xx million of americans in the US have more diplomas than the x number of cubans...

I'm cuban myself, and I gotta say - all the balseros I know are some hard working people, who refused any help from the government, but I also know several mexicans who have milked the system quite a bit...

but in the end I guess its a mix of old-fashioned racism and disgruntled tax-payers
    test
  3. yayo

yayo Polar Bear LaFlare

balseros are gangstahs.
    test
  4. th3r3isn0futur3

chyea werd

but on the real, hispanics are some hard workin muhfuckas mayn

peoples jus jealous of the work ethic

I know some peoples who've moved places down south, n the blacks are even gettin racist cuz people hire the hispanics - and the employers admit its because they work that much harder for lower wages.

whut a pity we're the epitomy of cheap labor in the USA though...
    test
  5. Leila Night

Leila Night efrain,you're my one&only

You should probably ask yourself why Cubans are doing so well. The research says that Cubans, on a larger scale than any other Latino immigrant community, immigrate while being better educated and wealthier. "White" Cubans are also statistically more successful than "black" Cubans.
    I agree that Cubans do work hard.

••••, I'm also annoyed by American xenophobia.
    test
  6. th3r3isn0futur3

depends... ionno about proportionally, I'm lookin at cubans on the whole

but I definately know more light cubans than dark... mainly because the majority of cuban immigrants are light and half baked... even when I'm chillin in miami, the ratio of lighter to darker is a big difference

its kinda of interesting, because cuba used to be around 50% or more lighter skinned, obviously due to the previous spaniard immigration and the bayamos, but like I said, more light skinned people immigrated once fidel took power

and while they might have originally immigrated with more money and better education, the immigrants of today (half of the people I hang wit only been in this country for a year or so mayn) are third-world people.

its jus somethin about the culture I guess that makes latins either really hard workin (or sometimes lazy as shit).

in the end I believe its the fact that latinos come from poverty/problem-ridden countries to the USA, and take advantage of the opportunities, be it welfare or just working hard. the situation in cuba currently is horrible; I know two balseros I current chill wit that took a raft 21 days jus to come and see what america was like (since fidel gives speeches painting this country as a barren desert - literally - full of mafia, corruption, and other evils).

18 days drinkin their own urine and seagulls blood jus to sustain life - walked over 1,000 miles through mexico to the US border and now they are bustin their asses and movin up quick; gone from owning nothing to havin apartments, cars, many jobs, cell phones, laptops

I think its that principle alone (from nothing to everything) that makes latins so hard workin, and the envy of everyone else in this country.
    test
  7. Immure aka C-lo

Immure aka C-lo So Deep, Reside In Graves

WTF y'all talking about cubans are hard working? And ILLEGAL ALIENS no matter from where can't get NO TYPE of goverment help, not even for college. Even with student visas they pay international tuition with no type of federal financial aid. I live in miami where we're infested with cubans, as a matter of fact I stay in hialeah where there's the most amount of cubans outside of cuba. And every block, I mean every single block where in hialeah has at least 1 dope house. IF anything cubans are the lazy ones living off the government and serving while receiving government help.

My wife is cuban, her pops and uncle's been in and out of jail since they were 18 and came here with the mariel. The only reason her pops work is because he's on probation, but he serves on the side. And before being convicted he was living off the government, while serving. So IMO y'all need to re analyze how these different hispanics are. Just because in your state cubans might be hard working look at the whole picture, specially where the largest concentration lives.

And the mexicans in homestead in south, south miami; are all the hard working ones. Working in the farms and shit. I dont know bout the mex's outside miami but the one's here are the one's that work they as off for min wage.
    test
  8. yayo

yayo Polar Bear LaFlare

cubans got clout. period.
    test
  9. yayo

yayo Polar Bear LaFlare

i ain't cuban, btw.

- boriken.
    test
  10. yayo

yayo Polar Bear LaFlare

and hialeah don't got a dope house every corner.. it's a suberb.

i know hialeah more than you, trust me.

hialeah aint nothing. hialeah is pretty.

just because ur wife's fam is that way don't mean all are.

hialeah, the city that progresses.
    test
  11. th3r3isn0futur3

^^ chyea werd mayn I got familia in miami, that place is nice...

but nah on the real... peoples are always jus against immigrants... I can't blame anyone for bein against the kinda people who leech of the system but...

this country was built off of hard workin immigrants. without the germans, jews, irish, etc comin from europe - this place would not be whut it is today
    test
  12. th3r3isn0futur3

oh yeah, before anyone corrects me -

I got familia in miami and surround suburbs, no joda chico
    test
  13. mac10

mac10 New Member

At the rate of illegals coming across and the US government doing everything possible to help them, don't be surprise in 20 years America becomes nonexistent. What we Americans are doing to ourselves is so insane it's unbeleivable...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.