Top Ten Movies of 2008

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Brahman, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TruKaos

TruKaos I'll Box Your Ears

1. the curious case of benjamin button
    2. in bruges
    3. vicky christina barcelona
    4. burn after reading
    5. slumdog millionaire
    6. synecdoche, new york
    7. gran torino
    8. religulous
    9. step brothers
    10. pineapple express

honorable mention: W., tropic thunder, forgetting sarah marshall, be kind rewind

theres still a handful of movies i haven't seen yet but don't know if i'll get around to anytime soon.
    test
  2. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

gran torino was a letdown

i wouldn't call it one of the year's worst, but i don't feel compelled to even give it an honorable mention

storyline was uninteresting, pat and obvious... the gangsters far too cookie-cutter in characterization. and, not to mention to the horrid performances by bee vhang and ahney her who probably shouldn't see any more screenwork after these debuts... [funny] @ locked-in-the-basement scene. one of the worst bits of acting i've ever come across. it seemed like eastwood told his actors to improv more than they were capable of throughout the script too.

nigga clint shoulda said "fuck it" and gone out with a bigger badass bang... the film should have been more grindhouse/less tired, repetitive social commentary and featured a conclusion similar to the brave one
    test
  3. DeanMr

DeanMr New Member

Lil Wayne was performing in Chicago, IL at the WGCI Big Jam 2008 and did his share of crotch grabbing. First of all…..nice price tag on your shoe dude. What, did you just steal the shoes on your way to the show? Who’s in charge of wardrobe? What I really want to know is, why this is ok…? Why is it cool for these artists to stand up there on stage and crotch grab in front of thousands of people??? WTF? You are not Michael Jackson! I think it’s lame and well……gross. Lil Wayne needs to lay off his ‘lil wayne’! Sorry! I couldn’t help myself. But, seriously. Enough crotch already….And morever, I would like to tell you about Promotional Items for the upcoming Notorious B.I.G Movie, "Notorious" which hits theaters on January 16th 2009. They are just good.
    test
  4. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

mickey rourke fuckin' suplexed my soul with that performance, lawd hamercy [wow]

the wrestler goes in at #5 on my list... it also earns the title for "film that made me cry the hardest"

that's a great battle for the best actor oscar between him and sean penn (milk) since they both took home the golden globes for their respective categories, drama and musical/comedy

i have a feeling penn will get it though due to its fitting the whole political theme of the year and the fact he actually had more dialogue to work around

switching around the order for stuck and the bank job... i don't know why i initially thought the former was better
    test
  5. mooni

mooni New Member

hi guys i m a new member in this forum but this topic is very nice but i don't want to write top 10 so i wanna write my top 5 :)

1-The dark knight
    2-Australia
    3-Vicky Cristina Barcelona
    4-Wall-E
    5-Pineapple express

i have watched the dark knight maybe twice a month so i m crazy for all of the batman movies ì the dark knight PC bag last week on internet from....merchandisingplaza..
    test
  6. the Prince

the Prince New Member

the emotion he displayed seemed so sincere. a lot of great scenes. i especially remember when he met tomei at the bar during the day and some old '80s tune came on and he is dancing like a fool, not giving a damn. just a happy kinda guy. seemed so genuine. also, surprisingly i liked the counter of this - when he is an asshole, uses cocaine, and lets go some of his frustration on the 'fan'. the old broken down piece of meat part didn't hit as hard as it could have been, probably because it was in the trailer, but the times rourke was waiting outside his daughter's place, trying so hard was moving. the entire movie was really well done. the shopping for a gift was hilarious and not for one minute did i not believe rourke wanted that flashy green outfit for his daughter. could go on and on... excellent performance. haven't seen milk yet so until then rourke is at the top for best actor
    test
  7. SimpleMinded

SimpleMinded New Member

Is the wrestler that good? A friend of mine told me he had a copy of it, so I've been tempted to check it out.
    test
  8. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

Penn didn't win a Golden Globe this year. Rourke won the drama golden globe in which he won over Penn. Colin Farrell won the Golden Globe for musical/comedy with In Bruges
    test
  9. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

the grocery scenes were hilarious too... and, even though it was a bit short that nintendo scene was mad moving in its faded glory.

true

scratch that... penn just won the screen actors guild award last night, which now makes a hotly contested race

the curious case of benjamin button is honorable mention-worthy

it wasn't as good as i thought it would be. although it had its moments and was beautiful as a cinematic postcard, the screenplay meandered around a bit much and never really came to a satisfying whole for me. the script was probably intended to "imitate life" in this way, but that would have worked better if it weren't so long and drawn-out. and, brad pitt shouldn't have received a best actor oscar nomination as the character in its concept and technical effects/make-up execution were what breathed life into benjamin button, not his acting performance. he was wooden and placid throughout... showing no significant personality change through the reversal of years.

colin farrell (in bruges) should be livid at the robbery... and, even though i haven't seen revolutionary road yet, i can tell from the trailers that leonardo dicaprio delivered a superior performance.

i would have even voted for ayush mahesh khedekar (youngest jamal in slumdog millionaire) before brad pitt
    test
  10. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

Yeah that bothered me about the movie, it was like once he got past being that little old man and until he was like a kid the character really didn't change.

Also the portion of the movie with that lady at the hotel seemed like it could have been cut from the movie, that seemed to really drag for me...
    test
  11. the Prince

the Prince New Member

how could i forget the nintendo scene

the ram jam, rourke's isolation/despair was magnified ten fold there

this movie is even better now that i think about it more
    test
  12. wre2wre

wre2wre New Member

well well well

-Australia ?
    -Pineapple express ?

first time to hear about this
    test
  13. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

oh word? that was actually one of my favorite parts of the movie for some reason. i loved the swimming scene in beowulf, and hearing her talk about her aquatic endeavor created a sense of wonder for their relationship. and, what was revealed at the end was cool too.

righto

my appreciation for the film also continues to grow with reflection upon rourke's rapture

no disrespect to marisa tomei who was solid, but that nigga mickey carried that film... a one-man show
    test
  14. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

This was one of my favorite scenes in any movie this year. While they are listing off all the great bands of the 80s the subtext is there that they were great in the 80s too. These bands weren't necessarily that great (then maybe they were), they were just/also the soundtrack to their successful glory years. The 90s sucked not because of the music (well, maybe that too), but because that's when they started to slip. Simple, beautiful stuff. I think I like this movie more on reflection than in that soul-crushing moment of watching it.
    test
  15. veral conflict

veral conflict beatsrus

city of men wasnt that in 07?? felt like it

movie was a huge dissapointment imo.. cause the series was so dope and the movie was so average..
    test
  16. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

rottentomatoes considers it a 2008 film, because it was released in '08 for the u.s.

i'm seeing that it first came out back in mid-2007 in brazil and the u.k. though

i've had the series on dvd for a minute now but haven't gotten around to watching an episode yet
    test
  17. C-Money

C-Money New Member

test
  18. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

^ b*a*p*s starring halle berry was released in 1997 ... you're about 12 years late there, pal

leo dicaprio and kate winslet both killed it in revolutionary road

a travesty that neither got nominated by the academy... leo's frank wheeler bested brad pitt's benjamin button as the trailers hinted
    test
  19. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

True, but Kate Winslet got nominated for The Reader which is a killer performance too, even though it's in a lesser movie. Revolutionary Road was the best acted/performed movie I saw this year.
    test
  20. MTmix86

MTmix86 New Member

the reader is a pretty awesome movie.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.