Top Ten Movies of 2008

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Brahman, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thaRooster

thaRooster hahahahahhaha NO!

i just saw city of men and wow. that director does a great job, i liked it just as much as city of god. def cracks my top 10
    test
  2. Langford

Langford New Member

i didn't even hear about that movie until it was on dvd. i loved city of god.

i've added that one and lots of the ones listed here to my netflix.
    test
  3. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

test
  4. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

it was dope, but i definitely like city of god more

i wonder how much of an impact city of men would have made had i seen it first without the lofty expectations though
    test
  5. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Didn't know you were such a particular traditionalist. Do what you what you gotta do, I will say this it's not what your expecting at all. Those crappy trailers do not do this movie justice. Clint is at his best, he is a mans man, and he shits all over political correctness in this movie. Yet while shitting on it there is a good guy underneath. He will crack your shit up.
    test
  6. the Prince

the Prince New Member

brahman, what did you love so much about vicky cristina barcelona. it would have been so much better if there was no vicky. penelope and javier were great
    test
  7. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

naw, gotta disagree. i thought her vulnerability and confusion about which direction to take was expertly performed and reflected the inner psychological turmoil present in just about every woman... cristina was going through the same issues but on emotional whimsy

without vicky you lose a good portion of the dramatic conflict and golden globe-worthy performance from rebecca hall

i especially love the guilt she wore on her face whenever talking to her husband... mad authentic
    test
  8. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

and, you weren't absorbed by the story as a whole?

i'm surprised woody allen's script didn't get nominated
    test
  9. the Prince

the Prince New Member

no i loved the story, my favorite scenes were javier's intro at the art gallery, where vicky, cristina, and vicky's relatives are speaking of him, but he cannot be seen until a good minute later when the scene cuts and he is leaning against the wall with his untucked vibrant red collared shirt. this was followed by my favorite scene at the dinner thereafter. javier walked over and his open proposals caught me off guard, a brilliant character. "we'll make love, hopefully the three of us". vicky was great in the beginning, especially her resistance at the dinner table, but there was something missing about her later in the movie. scarlett definitely played the buzzing/seductive girl she was at the time. mad swagger from javy. "lets not negotiate like a contract" penelope was amazing in this movie, the mix of spanish and english was perfect.
    test
  10. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

hmm, i can't imagine what could have been missing... i found a building suspense in the "should i stay or should i go?" tug-of-war at work within
    test
  11. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

Seriously, aside from one too many references to Antoni Gaudi, I thought it was one of the best Woody Allen pictures I've seen.

My top 10 as it stands today:
    1. Australia
    2. Wall-E
    3. Slumdog Millionaire
    4. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
    5. The Fall
    6. Vicky Cristina Barcelona
    7. Pineapple Express
    8. The Dark Knight
    9. Henry Poole is Here
    10. Iron Man

I'm still kicking myself for not going to see Jellyfish when it had it's one screening back in April. Half of this list could change with some of the stuff yet to open around here, though.
    test
  12. Wonk Saggin

Wonk Saggin Active Member

slumdog millionaire
    tropa de elite (2007 with a 2008 US release)
    city of men
    the wrestler
    blindness (universally panned, but i like it)

also liked dark knight, choke, and religulous, but not sure where id place them

worst:
    hancock
    quantom of solace

theres also so many movies that i havent seen yet.....
    test
  13. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wasn't sure whether to see this or not based on some of the reviews it's had. I'm surprised to see it on your top spot.
    test
  14. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

I found the whole throwback feel/style refreshing. Moving easily between adventure, romance, comedy, drama, action the way old Hollywood used to do. Same reason I was all alone with Stardust at #1 last year, so take my #1 spot with a grain of salt. Plus, I'm a sucker for Baz Luhrmann and I'm not too particular about the quantifying/ranking of films. I could just as easily have slipped Slumdog or Wall*E into the top spot. I think those 3 are the best of what I've seen this year, regardless of the order.
    test
  15. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Chuck Palahniuk's "Choke" was a good quirky movie though I didn't like it better than Chuck's other novel based movie fight club. Nonetheless it was still hilariously zany and culturally sardonic as expected. Ida before she developed dementia reminded me a little of my mother. She was so criminally unpredictable, adventurous, good story teller, and had unbelievable dependence issues. I loved that one scene where Ida and victor were taking pictures together and she wanted confirmation victor hated his foster-mother. That was classic reminded me a little of my childhood. The ending was truely Palahniukian. It was a good movie I strongly recommand it to anyone who likes palahniuk's novels.
    test
  16. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

I've been wanting to see Henry Poole is Here ever since I seen the trailer for it earlier this year..Thankfully it hits DVD soon.

I tried to watch Stuck earlier today and found myself not being able to get into it, but I will give it another go later on since I had wanted to see it.
    test
  17. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

I forgot to mention one very crucial thing: the kid, Brandon Walters, who plays a central role gives one of those rare perfect performances that only a kid can give and he nails it. Brandon Walters - the real star of Australia
    [​IMG]

And as to your mention of the reviews, most of them seem to think Luhrmann is simply trying to appropriate a classic/epic style cynically because they don't believe he could make a picture like this in earnest today. But knowing his sensibility as a director and as a person there's no way it's anything but.
    test
  18. thaRooster

thaRooster hahahahahhaha NO!

^^^ that is one ugly kid. i wanna jump off my dresser and double foot stomp his face
    test
  19. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

I was anticipating AUSTRALIA when I first saw the trailer, and I don't usually pay too much attention to the reviews, but for an almost 3 hour film it's more of a risk. I'll definitely see it at some point, but it might end up being on DVD (even though I'm sure it's the kind of film that should be seen on a big screen).

I just watched THE VISITOR and I'd probably put it in my top 10.
    test
  20. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

Thanks for all the recommendations I'm downloading a lot of these... good selections...

I recommend Religulous, it was a great movie IMO
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.