Top Ten Male R&B Vocalists of the '90s

Discussion in 'The R&B Haven' started by Ignorant, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Note: This isn't a list of the "best artists" per se, as it one of the best pure vocalists... or in other words, dudes who could just flat out "sang," regardless of whether they had a lasting legacy or many classic albums/songs. The list is in order. Let the debating begin:

[10. Aaron Hall

9. Raphael Saadiq

8. Keith Washington

7. Tevin Campbell

6. Brian McKnight

5. Joe

4. Maxwell

3. Wanya Morris

2. K-Ci

1. Sisquo]
    test
  2. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

In no particular order:
    Jesse Powell
    K-Ci
    Brian McKnight
    Maxwell
    Tony Rich
    Joe
    Wanya Morris
    R.L
    Carl Thomas
    James Ingram
    test
  3. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

I got Brian McKnight at #1. Dont really feel like racking my brain for 9 more singers.
    test
  4. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I forgot about Jesse Powell... I don't know about Tony Rich, he sounded too much like Babyface to me... and I didn't know James Ingram recorded anything during the '90s... well, he did have that hit with Linda Ronstadt, right?
    test
  5. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

Sisqo?

*Dies*
    test
  6. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

^Yup... so what he's a funny-looking queer... dude can sing his ass off... I was listening to that Dru Hill album they dropped in '96 when I decided to create this list... they brought that funk on that joint, too.

People don't like George Michael, either, but I think he's one of the best pure vocalists of our generation.
    test
  7. Gouldy

Gouldy New Member

luther vandross would have to be in my list.....dudes a legend
    test
  8. Gouldy

Gouldy New Member

also for singing talent id say craig david but i feel he may just be a bit later on than be classed as 90's
    test
  9. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

I don't think Sisqo could touch Brian McKnight either. K-Ci's voice was too raspy at times for me, and he tended to oversing just like a lot of the 90's vocalists.
    test
  10. ThatBoyChiLL

ThatBoyChiLL New Member

brian mcknight is cool but when i was comin up as a youngin, keith sweat had the joints. sisqo DID have a pretty solid album, if u disagree - your hatin on the mans hairstyle lol.

yall left out AALIYAH! busters...heres my list

Aaliyah
    R. Kelly
    Keith Sweat
    Brian Mcknight
    Silk
    Dru Hill/Sisqo
    Jodeci
    Blackstreet
    Babyface
    test
  11. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

aaliyah is a man?
    test
  12. StylisticS

StylisticS National Champions

LMAO..i was going to post something about someone's quotes but seen that and just laughed.
    test
  13. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

Iggy you've given Sisqo far too much credit.
    Though he is a talented vocalist.

Keith Washington and no D'Angelo?
    test
  14. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

D'Angelo does cool things with his voice, but he's not top ten... and relies too much on overdubbing... he's more style than anything and probably a better "artist" than some of the guys I've chosen... but that's not what this list is about... it's about raw power... pure standalone vocal ability... regardless of appeal, art, hitmaking ability, or even longevity... none of that matters.
    test
  15. chillyg

chillyg New Member

Can we put Tyrese somewhere in there and one that has been sleeped on that can blow is Jahiem.
    test
  16. ~Da Hitman~

~Da Hitman~ Music is Soul

Shit what about Maxwell? "A woman's worth". COME ON. If ya'll put Black Street and Dru Hill, then Boys 2 Men HAVE to be on there at some point. R.Kelly in my book should be a top 3 competitor. Jaheim is more of a 2000's artist if i remember correctly chilly. Other than that the list is good, couple of artists i've never heard of too.
    test
  17. *DowntownStar*

*DowntownStar* ____________________

10. Ginuwine - most slept on. dude has crazy underground classics. he could have blown up like aaliyah but for whatever reason he didn't. never count dude out, he has a lot of talent and he helped make timbaland into the superproducer he is now.
    9. Dave Hollister - has that ghetto sound, like jaheim in the 00s. he just sounds ghetto. that is a good thing. his solo joints aren't the most exciting things in the world but hollister is one of the few R&B artists that can sing the blues straight out. he's like the male mary j.
    8. Brian McKnight - deliberately undersings because he's going for the nat king cole thing, but the man can do runs like crazy. brian is nothing you want to play with on the singing tip.
    7. JoJo Hailey - can do everything KCi does, but a whole lot more that KCi can't pull off. you'd be surprised how many Jodeci songs you thought were KCi singing but were actually JoJo. go back and listen closer.
    6. Raphael Saadiq - the range is incredible, from TTT to Too Short (all those classic productions) to Lucy Pearl to Badu EWF to his own solo joints. classic after classic. has almost a Stevie Wonder type voice, that rubbery slippery voice that can do anything and more. plus he's a damn good bass player.
    5. Babyface - so many classic songs for other people that you forget the man has crazy talent, and his understated singing style hides the fact that he can do runs all damn day, he just chooses not to.
    4. Wanya Morris - his runs are schizophrenic, you think they're going one way and all of a sudden he goes flying off in another direction. singers can't follow his style, he's like odb. but what really makes wanya is his vocal tone. underrated for that part of his technique.
    3. Michael Jackson - you people forget so quickly. dangerous, history, and invincible all sold over 5 million each, all had #1 hits, all had considerable press. jacko may be controversial but the man can make hits in his sleep and he can still sing like a motherfucker.
    2. Luther Vandross - hands down the best voice in R&B on the male side, ever.
    1. R. Kelly - the range is ridiculous. sings, better flow than most mc's, his tracks body most hiphop producers, the track record is impeccable. the only male R&B singer who makes classic CDS anymore, not to mention the singles. yes you got that right, i said CDS with the S. notice the S. that letter means you are dealing with raw talent, it wasn't an accident, the man went #1 on purpose. brouhgt michael back from the brink of oblivion, made celine dion sound hood, made aaliyah a superstar, did best of both with jigga, all on his days off. what did you do with your downtime? surfed the net? watched tv? i thought so. controversy or no, he's there with the legends. don't front on the R.

Honorable mention: D'Angelo (should have been top 5 but fell off - come back D, R&B needs you), Prince (made not so great albums but always had live heat), Usher (took over in the 00s), Tank (raw talent), everyone in Take 7 (all virtuosos), Danny Boy (had a lot of potential), Eric Benet (doesn't have that raw but his voice is flexible and works for him), Shai (that classic joint says it all)
    test
  18. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

^Luther, the best male R&B voice ever?

Some would argue Sam Cooke or Stevie Wonder... but Luther is definitely up there.
    test
  19. nickle211

nickle211 New Member

Yall can disagree but Im gon have to put Anthoney Hamilton in there.Maybe not top 10 but definately needed mention.
    test
  20. nickle211

nickle211 New Member

Also if your gonna mention Sisqo And R.L. You need To throw Case and Donnell Jones in there considering The Two Blow Rl And Sisqo Outta the water.And Tyreses thats funny I think Joe would be a better choice also what about Tevin.Damn.Oh and I almost forgot my man MUSIQSOULCHILD quite soulful indeed a great vocalist
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.