Top Ten Films of 2007?

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Brahm@n, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

Atonement is a top 5 film
    test
  2. Leila Night

Leila Night efrain,you're my one&only

Eastern Promises. No list.
    test
  3. Shy

Shy a.k.a. Klear Eyed

Understood. I still think American Gangster was about as mediocre as a gangster film has ever been, and BtDKYD was just boring all around. Then again, I'm not saying gone baby gone was better, but just as good.
    test
  4. DaAlmightyDolla

DaAlmightyDolla Greatness

agreed. i just finished watching it on dvd. i thought it would just be ok cuz of the reviews but it was very entertaining.
    test
  5. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Jesus Christ, the way people have been hyping up Juno I expected an amazing film. Talk about a disappointment.

I finally caught 3:10 to Yuma, aside from Ben Foster's ridiculous performance as Charlie, the film was great.
    test
  6. Tacit

Tacit Devourer of Funny

Yeah I was expecting a lot more from juno based on all the hype.

It was good, though. Worthy of top 10. Just not an instant #1 like people were making it seem.
    test
  7. DaAlmightyDolla

DaAlmightyDolla Greatness

just saw this. alot of talk 4 a mafia flick but it kept me involved. very well acted
    test
  8. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

the savages

a very well-written, very well-acted familial piece... phillip seymour hoffman does it again!

earns a #6 spot
    test
  9. Tacit

Tacit Devourer of Funny

I saw "There Will be Blood." Daniel Day Lewis was great. Overall, I wouldn't put it with "No Country for Old Men," though.

The ending left me a little confused.
    I'm still not completely sure what they were trying to say with the Plainview vs. Preacher plot. It seemed like a pretty random thing to end on. Maybe just telling a story, I suppose.

Still a top 10 movie, though.

This and Juno replace The Lives of Others and Knocked Up on my list.
    test
  10. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

The statement was underneath all the bullshit (e.g. religious preacher) was no different from dainle Plainview. Notice the false preacher renounced his faith like plainview asked so him to do just so he could make money. Like plainview the preacher abandoned his so called morals in the name of greed. Either that or he never really had morals to begin with, meaning we got to see the real man behind the preacher shine as plainview puppeteered his monetary strings.

There is a book called OIL which was written by upton sinclair, who is a well known communist, this movie was based on that book.

This movie focused more on the relationships between characters (plainview and his son) than on the communist preceptive of how capitalism ruins good men. However, you're very aware the communist message is still there. Though I disagree with the movies communist undertones I can't deny it deserves a number one spot. Because the acting was sensational as well as the story line.

The ending was great I've never seen a actor protray a charactor that ruthlessly and cold hearted before with such conviction that even I believed him. And that shit he said to his son at the end, GODDAM that was some cold shit to say to a deaf kid.

FYI: The preacher has a twin brother named paul who FUCKED HIM AND HIS FAMILY in the beginning of the film.
    And most likely this movie was taking shots at rockefeller.

I could of very easily of played the Plainview character without question.

I finally saw juno. And WOW, not funny at all.
    test
  11. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

suprised nobody mentione "Into the wild"

wow what an incredible story.....left a mark on me.
    test
  12. Tacit

Tacit Devourer of Funny

that was an honorable mention for me
    test
  13. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah, cant please everyone
    test
  14. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

1. The Preposition
    2. The Preposition
    3. The Preposition
    4. The Preposition
    5. The Preposition
    6. The Preposition
    7. The Preposition
    8. The Preposition
    9. The Preposition
    10. The Preposition
    test
  15. Tacit

Tacit Devourer of Funny

I loved it.

I was just responding to the part about no one mentioning it
    test
  16. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah the proposition is good, not many people saw it.
    test
  17. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

The Proposition was great, but it came out in 2005/6.
    I'm not so sure the film is particularly anti-capitalist. It doesn't bemoan capitalism so much as depict a necessary symbiosis between capitalism and the church. Regardless of your/my reading of it, there's no question it was a top film.
    test
  18. Machilles

Machilles If you want a God

I haven't been keeping up, but I recently bought the Zodiac DVD. It exceeded my expectations.
    test
  19. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

There was a little bit of an reciprocal altruism relationship at the beginning of the flim, but it wasn't really genuine since it was more of a guise by Planview who was planning on fucking over the preachers family from the jump. (e.g. OIL for quail prices) Which makes the planview character even more likeable and intelligent to me, while at the same time the movie is also displaying a communist cheap-shot at a situation being depicted as parasitism as in (captialism) rather than mutualism as in (communism). Thus, a undertone dig at capitalism.

Read the book OIL to understand the real intent of the movie. For the sake of this movies story-line the communism was watered down as to not overshadow it, however the undertones of communism in the movie were still there. e.g. Greedy preacher, capitalism and the church, and Plainview's confession to his (supposed brother) about the competition in him where noone esle can succeed but himself. etc... etc... etc...

Glad you enjoyed the movie. It was one of the best movies I've seen since fight club.
    test
  20. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

See, I took the ending the other way around.

This I don't buy. I think the real intent of the movie is on display in the movie. If there are aspects of the book that inspired it that are "watered down" in the movie, I take that as being the intention of the filmmaker. He chose to explore other things that interested him. If he didn't comment as heavily on communism as Sinclair, it's because he didn't want to.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.