Top Ten Films of 2007?

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Brahm@n, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

juno was fantastic... i'm putting it at #6.

i own the original 3:10 on dvd, but i haven't gotten around to watching it yet
    test
  2. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

Ho-hum heist-gone-wrong plot, visually tedious (Lumet has never had much visual flair, and this film shows why he should stick to that). Also, the use of video led to a too-frequently murky image. Performances were great, just which they had been in service of something. I've sort of tired of these self-important movies that actually have little to say. This is no Dog Day Afternoon.
    test
  3. dj battle cry

dj battle cry Active Member

rush hour 3 sucked
    test
  4. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

thats kinda why i liked the film to be honest...you get tired of films trying to "teach" the viewer something everytime....some cliche life lesson that we all have heard over and over again.....i felt that Devil just did a great job of showing humans in tragedy....its an overall meltdown.....its like knowing something really bad is gonna happen but you watch it anyway cause you cant turn your head......it was a good film imo....it stuck inside its bubble....it did what it had to do...the heist wasnt the focal point of the film.....the family conflict was....i dunno....i thought it was good

going to see juno in 2 hours.....

:)
    test
  5. Tacit

Tacit Devourer of Funny

It teaches that stealing can lead to many people getting killed.

Stick to what?
    test
  6. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i thought the plot was anything but ho-hum as it was more labyrinthine than most. there were many complications scripted perfectly without being too overwrought... i've rarely seen characters so in deep.

how was it "self-important"? i thought it did a great job of just presenting the events as they unfolded without necessarily steering the audience in any one direction.

why did it need to say more than it did? it was an emotionally potent portrait of familial conflict and its lasting effects on an individual's development. and, i actually prefer that it didn't put hand everything over to the viewer as it provided enough material from which one could derive their own meaning or lessons learned.

based on your comments here and on american gangster, i think you're becoming more and more narrow and rigid about your expectations and demands from a film. why must a film's message be grand in scope and so well-defined?

i do agree that the visuals were sometimes frustrating, but i thought that gave it some of its character. i kinda dig lumet's style actually.
    test
  7. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

I hate hot "The Jeus" rates movies.
    test
  8. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

saw juno....incredibly funny.....

def deserves to be high on top 10 lists.....

still havent seen no country.....or zodiac....ill prolly have my list in a week or so
    test
  9. Purple Haze

zodiac was a snoozefest.
    test
  10. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

I just saw, Before the devil knows you're dead, last night. And for once brahman gave a good recommendation. I don't think the movie will ever be considered a clut classic because the dialogue was sort of lacking, But I could see renting this movie again and enjoying it based on seymour hoffman's out standing performance alone.

It was a good movie but not a great movie. I did enjoy the pulp fiction/magnolia feel to it. And that ending sure did leave me emotionally conflicted.

Honestly though, seymour hoffman made this movie by nailing his role as a white collar embezzling drug addicted murderous sleazy ball. The narcissism, subtle humor, and apathy he portrayed through this character alone drew me into the movie deeper and deeper with every scene. Hoffman deserves an oscar already. Ethan hawk was ok, but when he tried to talk in that low-deep-grating-tone-of-a-voice it just came off batman sounding as if he was trying to do a Smeagol impression from the lord of the rings or some shit, It just made me giggle.

All said and done though this movie would make my top ten list compared to the bullshit hollywoods been putting out in 2007.

Im'a go watch, There Will Be Blood. Heard it's suppose to be on some Citizen Kane shit.
    test
  11. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

he's probably the most knowledgeable in this forum, but i sometimes don't see eye-to-eye with his basic tastes and reasoning for liking/disliking a film

word.
    test
  12. thaRooster

thaRooster hahahahahhaha NO!

my favs i saw:
    300 (maybe it wasnt 07 but if it was you all suck for neglecting it)
    Knocked Up
    Superbad
    Transformers
    Halloween (zombie did an excellent job with this, best haloween since the original)
    Planet Terror (one of the best zombie type movies ever)
    the mist (suprised the shit outta me)

i still havent seen 310 to yuma, eastern promises, juno, no country for old men

i am legend was ehhh. saw4 was the worst movie ive ever seen. simpsons was pretty good. i refuse to watch avpr on puropse after the first one. im goin to walk hard tonight.
    test
  13. thaRooster

thaRooster hahahahahhaha NO!

couple more notes. zodiac was the boringest movie of all time. alpha dog although it blew was pretty entertaining. smokin aces i loved. and i really wanna see into the wild and american gangsta
    test
  14. Tacit

Tacit Devourer of Funny

I haven't seen Zodiac, but I bet Lars was more boring.

If you don't think 'Before the Devil knows you're Dead' is great, you suck
    test
  15. Pyro Tecknik

Pyro Tecknik Harbinger of DOOM

was i the only one that wasn't bored(at all) with Zodiac? it was a long film, but it was gripping and engaging.
    test
  16. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

I didn't think Alpha dog was that bad.

I heard into the wild is a good film.
    test
  17. Purple Haze

True, but he sounds like works for rotten tomatoes.

I don't know.. I just hate highly critical fucks.
    test
  18. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

Stick to drawing out the great performances and leaving the visuals to the DP.

It was indeed labyrinthine, but it struck me as a 2 hour Rube Goldberg machine. Winston Churchill is quoted as saying, "Don't mistake activity for action."

The characters were in deep after the robbery fell apart, but why was there a robbery in the first place? Because Ethan Hawke wanted his daughter to go on a school trip? Because Marissa Tomei is a whiny housewife?

It doesn't present the events as they unfold, though, it uses that frustrating fractured timeline device, but to what end? Does the sequence of the events as presented change or deepen the meaning or understanding of what happens or is it simply out of order for its own sake? If it's the latter, then this is self-indulgent (which is what I think I meant to type, self-important was the wrong term). If it does, then how so?
    I think it needed to say more because it struck me as attempting to say something about "the human condition" and generational sin/cycles, . I think there were certain chords of classical tragedy being struck that were dealt in too matter-of-fact a manner, and odd in juxtaposition to the Ethan Hawke's domestic strife.

It might have done better to say less in regards to Hoffman's character the "Daddy never loved me, and liked my brother better" characterization is unacceptable. I think putting these sorts of touches on it while playing it out like a typical neo-noir leaves it sitting on the fence.

I only said American Gangster should've had more sweep because that would've made it a better film. Coppola's first cut of The Godfather was a 2-hour garden variety mob movie, Universal told him that they wanted an epic and the rest is history. That sort of thing. I don't think all films call for it, otherwise Once wouldn't be on my Top 10 list.
    I might understand your claim of me moving toward a more trenchant formalism if these two opinions existed in a vacuum, but you can't possibly make that statement in the context of the movies I listed above in my top 10+ in addition to AG and Devil?

Fair enough.

If you don't like my arguments, try this one, which says many similar things in slightly different terms.

Now can we get on Riz for putting Hot Fuzz in his "worst of the year" list?
    test
  19. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

If I worked for RT I would slurping that movie. And I'm not trying to be "highly critical", but I was attempting to explain my reaction to the film; if I'd say "eh, I thought it was weak" would that be satisfactory?
    test
  20. Tacit

Tacit Devourer of Funny

You don't know why there was a robbery?

The guy's wife wanted to move to anther country. His marriage was in danger of falling apart. He also had an expensive drug habit and was stealing from his job.

As for Hawke's character, having your daughter (and her mother) hate you and not being able to support her is pretty serious.

They had more than enough reason to plan a robbery.

The movie did a great in many areas, not the least of which was showing how it might seem like things can't get any worse...and how doing something stupid like robbing your parents can make it get a LOT worse.

There is no such thing as a meaningless movie, in my eyes.

And the timeline structure was great for focusing on each character. That's why the characters are shown so well.
    If they just presented it linearly, it would be a big cluster of characters bumping into each other. The shifting enhances the understanding of each character's situation and qualities by focusing on them more.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.