Top Ten Female R&B Vocalists of the '90s

Discussion in 'The R&B Haven' started by Ignorant, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Da Hitman~

~Da Hitman~ Music is Soul

yea. "I'm Not Gon' Cry"-Mary J Blige?. Thats a classic! Then you definately have to put Janet Jackson somewhere on the list, because she was hot in the 90's. I agree with the rest of your list though.
    test
  2. *DowntownStar*

*DowntownStar* ____________________

My list of 90s R&B singers:

10. Nicolette Suwoton and Aaliyah (tie) - Nicolette sang on the legendary underground hit 'the dove song' in 96 i think; the same year, aaliyah sang on timbaland's hit 'up jumps tha boogie.' between them they invented a whole new style of street R&B and put an end to the boyz ii men quiet R&B thing. nicolette was the first modern singer to recall billie holliday, just before erykah badu. aaliyah had a whisper of a voice more like jazz singers blossom dearie, astrud gilberto, or shirley horn. nicolette's junglist R&B was as innovative in the UK as aaliyah and timbaland's was in the US. two monster talents that kicked R&B into another gear mid 90s, their value can't be overestimated, especially considering the rise of bounce (which is just down south version of drum&bass).
    9. Coko - that young lady could just flat out sing. swv were loaded with classic jams and coko's voice flowed over every track put in front of her.
    8. Kelly Price - scary good. for a while there she even had mary shook. kelly price is to R&B what kool g rap is to hiphop: technically perfect and the flow is ridiculous. all she needs is the songs - and to rein in her tendency to oversing.
    7. Faith Evans - is a fucking great singer. i know a bunch of very good vocalists and they all rate her as being retarded good.
    6. Karen Clarke-Sheard - need i say more?
    5. Toni Braxton - two legendary top selling albums. can't front on the record. she didn't have a lot of range but her voice was intense. go back and listen to her first album again, she had a lot of pain in her singing. her 2nd album is even better, somehow. what happened? she should have been right there with the top 3 on my list by now but she fell off...
    4. Lauryn Hill - who would have thought the best rapper alive is also the best R&B singer?
    3. Mariah Carey - her voice is shot all to hell now but back in the day she was not to be fucked with. plus her billboard awards list is perfect. more #1s than anyone except boyz II men.
    2. Whitney Houston - the legend. say what you want now but she was in her own league in the 90s.
    1. Mary J. Blige - streets love her, madison avenue loves her, she has crazy classics, she came up, grew up gracefully, plus she keeps it ghetto. mary is the original soul sista, she's the new aretha franklin. she got that old school voice, she could have come out in the 1920s and would still hit. the talent is crazy, the voice is timeless. whatever you want, singles, albums, even cameos on other people's shit. nothing bad to say about mary, she's #1.

honorable mention: Monica (only space stopped me from putting her in my list), Christina Aguilera (00s not 90s), Nelly Furtado (00s again), Beyonce (00s solo), Amel Larrieux, Adina Howard, Sunshine Anderson, and Tekitha (only because she never had solo joints).
    test
  3. *DowntownStar*

*DowntownStar* ____________________

double post - my bad
    test
  4. Jai-Z

Jai-Z Bangem, Jai

in no particular order

aaliyah
    mary j blige
    faith evans
    sade
    coko swv
    lisa fischer(1 hit wonder.. but she can blow!!)
    tamia
    debroah cox
    terry envogue(dawn was a good singer.. but terry was the best out the group)
    kelly price (how could yall 4get about her???????)
    test
  5. Jai-Z

Jai-Z Bangem, Jai

good choices and explaniations.

yolanda adams... yada yada yada.. shante moore... so many
    test
  6. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

and this is based solely off of their vocal ability??? Cant be.
    test
  7. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

^Some people never read the initial post.
    test
  8. nickle211

nickle211 New Member

First and Foremost Aaliyah is Number 1 to me always before her death til now her voice has mesmerized me set the way for todays female artists all have pieces of Aaliyah style fused into thier own.She was so smooth and mellow in 4 page letter,and killed it all when she sang the last verse in one in a million.To me there is no argument,shes the one.

That said 2nd Id say Deffinately Mary J. Blige Easy.

3rd Im Gonna Go with Faith Evans,I believe some of her songs maybe kinda corny and commercial but let us not blame her for puffs so called ear for a hit record and a hot beat.She deffinately hit my list with her vocals on soon as I get home and here records that followed were okay but overall I am looking at her vocal ability and Im straying from anything post 90's so thats my pick for 3rd.

4th Would Be Lauryn Hill She deffinatly is a excellant singer and as said in other posts has a wide range of talents.Music is deffinately aprt of her and she shows it on any track shes on.Oh la la la.

5th Is gonna have to be Erykah Badu,So unique and a voice so stunning her first album hooked me and Once I heard on and on thats all she wrote.

6th.Yes Mariah We All Know She Can SANG..Next

7th.Tamia.I have to fit her in somewhere on this list.Might as well be 7th.Even though her abums arent masterpieces they are deffinately worth listening to.They dont hold much depth but they do showoff her beautiful voice and so into you is deffinately in my top 25 favorite female RNB songs of all time.She deserves this spot,no doubt.

8th Dont really dig her that much but she can sang,damn she can.BEYONCE Next

9th Terry Ellis.She may not have alot of albums and the ones she has lack well produced tracks but as for her voice,DAMN.She can sang.Most notibly on her only single where ever you are.at least as a solo artist.We all know about ENVOGUE so well leave that for another forum.

10 is a tie between Toni Braxton And Monica I know that in alot of peoples mids your think,He put them at 10,well I really cant say I really dig them to much But yes I will give credit they can deffinatly blow some of my other picks out the water but only on some tracks.

Honorable mention Brandy PS she sucks.Most commercial female rnb singer of 90's.
    The End
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.