Top Rappers in your opinion and why

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Bill Stacks, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Bill Stacks

Bill Stacks Corrupt Kid

who are your top rappers and why, and try to be original (2Pac and Biggie are obvious choices)

mine are(No order):

The Game because he is incredibly versatile

Pusha T because his lyrics are so detailed and sophisticated and they sound like something written in the bible (see:Exodus 23:1 if you dont believe me)

Fabolous because he is really good at adapting to the times and he has some clever lines and his calm delivery

Lloyd Banks because ive listened to him since a kid and would skip through everyones verse on a G-unit track just to get to his since he came up with ridiculous punchlines

Jay-Z because he deserves everything he has and was able to go mainstream without being wack and his old rhymes were impeccable and reasonable doubt was just ridiculous (in a good way)

Kanye West because he has done great things for rap/hip-hop and i like how he was one of those rappers that made it cool to be smart

Jadakiss because he actually comes up with deep lines and has amazing freestyles and is a living legend imo
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. THEDONN

THEDONN One Love

pac
    biggie
    jay
    nas
    t.i
    jada
    wayne
    em
    az
    camron
    wutang
    bone
    outkast
    j cole
    scarface
    ice cube
    fabolous
    black thought
    dmx
    canibus
    ugk
    eightball mjg
    the game
    mobb deep
    kanye
    snoop
    dj quik
    devin the dude
    fat joe
    action bronson
    redman
    treach
    kool g rap
    rakim
    krs
    q-tip
    cormega
    ras kass
    killa priest
    dogg pound
    big pun
    big L
    eazy e

just to name a few

the shit dont stop
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. Bill Stacks

Bill Stacks Corrupt Kid

Jesus lol ok try to slim it down to at least ten like favorites
    still dope choices tho
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    test
  4. Thunder God Cid

Thunder God Cid New Member

...What?
    test
  5. Bill Stacks

Bill Stacks Corrupt Kid

i meant compared to most rappers like 50 cent jay-z's style isnt really watered down the worst song i can think of by Jay-z is run this town and thats not really a bad song as for the kanye west comment i feel like kanye's style was different from most thug rappers that come out
    test
  6. THEDONN

THEDONN One Love

Y this fag @Esoteriq neg repping me

Fuckin headbanger
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  7. Esoteriq

Esoteriq Worst Behavior

Royce 5'9 - easily one of the best pure lyricists of all time. Easily more *entertaining* than most pure lyricists.

J. Cole - one of the best newcomers. Has a talent for production. Solid lyrically, good conceptually, great flow and fantastic atmosphere to his music.

Kendrick Lamar - THE best newcomer by miles. So fresh and conceptually deep. I admire Kendrick for the same reason I admire cats like 3000 and Lupe, regardless of actual rhyme style his THOUGHTS are what are compelling in his music. The actual substance of his expertly crafted verses are the product of a very unique thought process.

Lupe Fiasco - consistently, ridiculously dope on almost any song I hear him on. One of the few artists that I can stomach on a terrible beat and not hate the song: he's that good.

Drake - his music is part rap and part soul. Something about the combination of his production choices and his lyrical content makes his albums mostly ethereal and dream like. Great music to inspire thought and introspection.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  8. D Funkdafied

D Funkdafied D-Funkdafied Music

ICE CUBE
    EAZY E
    BIGGIE

Without a doubt, dude! Ice Cube being a major lyrical geniuses.

test
  9. P. Chase

P. Chase Well-Known Member

Game and Kanye both suck

The best rappers are:

Jay-Z
    Copywrite
    Royce Da 5'9
    Fabolous
    Lupe Fiasco
    Lil Wayne
    J. Cole
    Joell Ortiz
    Pusha T
    Kendrick Lamar

I may be forgetting a few
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  10. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Royce Jay and Styles P have been in heavy ro w/ me for the last ten yrs.

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  11. P. Chase

P. Chase Well-Known Member

Styles P word I forgot about him he's also one of the best
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  12. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Talib Kweli is easily one of the best lyricists of the past 15 years and doesn't get mentioned enough on here.

He only released one weak album and that's The Beautiful Struggle... everything else is a 4 or better.

Drake is soulful because he sings? No, Talib is soulful because he reveals his soul in his lyrics... he doesn't sing, but his flow is melodic... and he packs more substance in a verse than most cats put on their whole albums.
    • +Rep +Rep x 3
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  13. Kry

Kry Willie Stylus

This guy right here is the most underrated mc of all time, nobody can do shit like this...the grimiest smooth shit ever. Since 94' you could prob count the wack verses he spit on 1 hand
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  14. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

Just goes to show u got no idea what you`re talking about.

Sent from Tapatalk 2
    test
  15. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

Not necessarily my favorites, and don't hold me to it forever.

Busta Rhymes... not always the best albums, but consistently listeneable and supremely entertaining, been on point forever, and never falls off. Pretty tough to outshine and can work with anyone. Flow, delivery and vocals are an 11/10, lyrics are 8 or so, beats and hits rarely disappoint.

Black Thought... beast. Has an effortless, completely natural ability to wreck shit, flow is flawless, voice kills, content is always half introspective and half raw. Lyrics stay right, every time, with no forced spirutual lyrical miracle shit.

Crooked I... the only rapper I even want to hear trying to be ill with multis anymore tbh. Couldn't tell you anything about his discography, but everyone else just sounds like bullshit with the style now. That's the perfection of it.

Jadakiss... possibly the best overall style ever, easily the best criminology rap even compared to modern SMACK cats with 40 minutes of gun talk and coke lines. The way he lays shit down over any beat is perfect, and any hot mainstream beat anyone gets would probably be better with a nice Jada verse on it. If only he was quicker on the job.

Jay-Z... too many good albums. How long can it last? A long time, obviously. I don't think I've ever heard Jigga spit anything I thought was wack. Both me and a lot of other people can throw on anything he puts out and enjoy from end-to-end on most any level.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  16. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

Lloyd Banks
    Cassidy
    Vinnie Paz
    Chubby Jag
    Fab
    Kendrick Lamar
    Game
    Iamsu
    Slaughterhouse
    Jay Z

Will say why later.

Sent from Tapatalk 2
    test
  17. Esoteriq

Esoteriq Worst Behavior

No he is not. I consistently loved Kweli's music for years and had to eventually let go and realize his music is good in SPITE of him and not BECAUSE of him. Hi Tek and some good concepts mostly make up for his awful, choppy flow. Best lyricist? I mean, he has positive lyrics, but they sound so forced and pretentious. Kweli should be in the dictionary next to "strugglebars". The Blast and Get By are still my favorite Kweli joints and he is just all kinds of corny on them. Cringe worthy at times.

Drake definitely puts his soul in his music. I didn't once mention or allude to singing. His music is soulful because of the vibe and mood the totality of production, lyrics and melody together create. Like I said, a lot of the music he makes almost sound dream like. Very surreal feel to it. For example.

Soulful AF.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  18. OutLaw613

OutLaw613 Well-Known Member

I was coming here to post this
    test
  19. OutLaw613

OutLaw613 Well-Known Member

This quote makes me sad..

Talib is a human mic... still in 2013

Ill throw ra in there also

2 of the best lyricists period ^^

Do I even gotta say why
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    test
  20. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

I haven't done this in forever... WHY NOT.

No order.

Blu - His peak is so high. I understand his valleys can be... pretty fucking low and boring as shit sometimes, but this man when he on his game and has some dope beats is, based on the criteria of lyrical skill at the absolute peak of their ability, is the best of all time. Silly criteria, I don't think he's GOAT, just in that. Below the Heavens is a genuine classic, Johnson & Johnson has two of my favorite songs of his of all time, and he's steadily been dropping dope shit since.

Black Thought - I followed his career pretty much up until the last two Roots albums, which I still plan on listening to. But yea, so consistent. Only arguable misstep was Phrenology. I always expect BT to tear shit up and he does on every single relevant subject you can imagine. One of the most overlooked true greats of all time.

Hov - It's kind of obligatory at this point. I can't even remember the last time I listened to him. But I could still probably recite almost every verse from Reasonable Doubt up to the Black Album (and some of Kingdom Come and American Gangster). Hov is the GOAT in my mind and he always will be. Way too good, way too relevant, way too innovative (not inventive there's a difference), way too god damn Hov.

Slug - I remember not liking Atmosphere for years upon years. Everything I heard I hated. Then one day I gave Se7en's Travels a chance, and I've been a fan ever since. Either ya love or ya don't I guess, I was on both sides of the coin. I don't really like the new direction of Atmosphere but I respect it as a new direction. It must get boring to make the same stuff for so long so switching it up is bound to happen.

Styles P - I mean, I was still born in the projects. Styles P is the shit. As consistent as anyone ever, only questionable thing is beat choice. His mixtapes are my favorites ever (esp. Ghost in the Shell) and he never forgot where he came from. I know this shit is just a game but it's cool to see someone being real with this shit every now and again.

Honorable Mentions:
    Guru - is the shit. Gangstarr Baldhead Slick ftw
    P.O.S. - One of the most original styles around, still finding is groove which is kind of fun to watch. Audition was amazing, next album, meh, We Don't Even Live Here might be his best album yet though.
    Lupe - I mean, his use of poetic device is second to none in all of music really. Sometimes it's really kind of astounding.
    Illogic - Listen to First Trimester, come back, and you will understand why.
    test