top 5 QBs ever in order

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by FlaccoDaGreat, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlaccoDaGreat

FlaccoDaGreat New Member

well whos ur top 5?

idk i cant see how im wrong tho

its who is overall better....elway just seems to make the most sense.

have any of you actually suited up and played...cause that can help in the crediblity...
    test
  2. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

and Favre played hung over during the early part of his career and in college, he was a drunk, how is that different then smoking cigars during halftime?

So your basis is on if a quarterback could play today? Why not recognize them for what they did and not base it on how they would do today. That is totally subjective because your assuming we pluck Unitas from 1958 and assume he does the same things he did in that time. Starr won 5 titles in 7 years, not saying he is top 5 but 5 championships in 7 years is nothing to scoff at.

But is this top 5 list meant to be after 1980?
    test
  3. FlaccoDaGreat

FlaccoDaGreat New Member

yeah favre wasnt suppose to start though

alcohol in college vs tabacco in the pros

case closed

starr and unitas would never put up elway numbers
    test
  4. Nam Dekan

Favre was still drinking pretty heavy when he was in the pros. He played plenty of games hung over, even during his first MVP season.

So your list is based on #'s? I'm confused as how you are ranking your top 5. Is it numbers only with certain people? Marino has numbers superior to Elway's, but I'm assuming you put Elway over Marino because he has two super bowl's. Then Elway over Favre because he has one more Super Bowl ring then? And them both over Montana because they got better numbers which trumps Montana's rings. Since you are big on the what if's when it comes to the old school players would your what if formula come into play with Montana. He wasn't a regular starter his first two years in the league and had injury problems during his career couldn't you use your what if powers to calculate what his numbers may have been?

Then you are eliminating anybody who played before 1980 because they would be horrible players today because you assume they wouldn't adapt to todays game.

The more I think about it though I would put Favre over Elway..
    test
  5. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

I already put my list but I'ma change it up a bit.
    1. Joe Montana
    2. Steve Young
    3. John Elway
    4. Brett Favre
    5. Troy Aikman/Dan Marino

I excluded Brady and Manning for now since they're still playing and it's hard to intergrate them into a list of retired guys. Also left out Bradshaw, Unitas, Tarkenton, Starr, Stabler all those older guys who I just don't know enough about to put them in.

-Montana's 4 Super Bowls put him at the top. Plus he's regarded as the most clutch QB in NFL history, which I agree with.

-John Elway vs. Steve Young is tough because Young was trapped behind Montana for 3 or 4 years and he was hurt quite a bit which is why he's not higher up on the statistics among other QBs. But he does have 3 SB rings to Elway's 2 and he's still the highest rated passer in NFL history. Plus Young won MVP twice, Elway once.

-Favre gets credit for the SB win and being durable enough that he didn't miss a start all those years but he played during the same time as most of these other guys (you can exclude Montana as he was wrapping his career up in KC) and he only has 1 ring to show for it. It's not even like his GB teams weren't equal either becuase they were in most cases. They just got beat by Aikman's teams, Young's team and Elway's SB team.

-Troy Aikman doesn't get enough love because of his surrounding cast and he didn't have the physical attributes of any of the other guys on my list but he does have 3 SB's in 4 years and he was an extremely accurate passer. Concussions were a problem though and he had to finish his career earlier than expected. That's why Favre is ahead of him

-The ring holds Marino back for the same reason Favre is rated higher. He played against all these other QB's and they all have atleast 1 ring. Marino was the best pure passer of everybody listed though. I can give him that much but rings matter to me.

What NFL team you play for?
    test
  6. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

That's my only problem with his list. It seems like he ranked the guys first and is setting the criteria after, which is why there's no kind of consistency to his arguments.
    test
  7. FlaccoDaGreat

FlaccoDaGreat New Member

i have consistency

elway over favre

favres already better than montana

marino is second, his talent was sickening

and young

and i played highschool ball, that matters when it comes to credibility. i actually know what a QB goes through

steve young is the bootleg elway hahaha thats easy....

montana dont got sick numbers like elway

and elway beat favre in the superbowl

all u need to do is get the top 3 then judge them

it aint that hard. im using every possible critera

favre is better than montana

its hard to judhe elway vs montana but we already know elway is better than favre

just because one person has this but this guy dosnet dont make him better and nor is that how i put it

elway is the GOAT
    test
  8. Nam Dekan

I played college ball for two years to answer your question about suiting up, and in High School.

Montana DESTROYED Elway in the Super Bowl....Why even bring up Favre/Elway Super Bowl if you ignore Montana/Elway Super Bowl. Montana also beat Marino.

Since this list is Post 1980 top 5..

1.Joe Montana
    2.Bret Favre
    3.John Elway
    4.Jim Kelly
    5.Dan Marino

Kelly really is underrated, granted he never won the big game but to get there 4 straight years is just an awesome accomplishment. They should've won that first one though. Kelly also only had a 11 year NFL career as he started off in the USFL, and had good numbers for the amount of time he played.
    test
  9. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

Oh so you're deciding it bracket style then [funny].

Elway vs. Favre in one semifinal
    Marino vs. Montana in the other

Oh and one more thing...
    and now here's your first post in this thread

You have him 4th here. You're all over the place
    test
  10. mr madness

mr madness Silly Bitch Say Whaaaaaat

Aiiight, it was fun earlier but now let's be real, your greatest qb of all-time has an amazing career qb rating of of of of of of 79.9. Which puts him 47th all-time, behind such legends as

Chad Pennington 88.9
    Matt Hasselbeck 86.2
    Jake Delhomme 85.2
    Rich Gannon 84.7
    Brad Johnson 83.1
    Neil Lomax 82.7
    Neil O'Donnell 81.8
    Danny White 81.7
    Dave Krieg 81.5
    Randall Cunningham 81.5
    Jeff Hostetler 80.5
    Jeff George 80.4
    Steve Beuerlein 80.3

He has never ever, ever ever, ever ever, led the league in td passes, led the league in passing yards once (cruising to a huge 7 yard victory over Steve Young)

And ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

92 in 3:10 in the Super Bowl against the 16th ranked defense >>>>>>>>
    98 yards in 5 minutes in the AFC Championship against the 11th ranked defense.

But that's just common fucking sense, no reason for you to be bothered with that.

And as for college:

Aiiight I don't know much about Montana's college career, but I smart, I can learn. Like I learned Elway couldn't even lead his team to A fucking Bowl Game and finished with a wonderful record of 20-23. Montana: national title, many comebacks, and a fucking movie. Advantage: Montana
    test
  11. FlaccoDaGreat

FlaccoDaGreat New Member

hes a winner, overall the best with the ball

never ever ever had a true great WR...he did it all himself

[​IMG]

the best QB the world has ever seen
    test
  12. mr madness

Nigga it was 487-10, you didn't emphasize destroyed enough, shiiiiiiiiiiiit I think Rathman just scored another touchdown for the 49ers
    test
  13. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

LMAO @ Jake Delhomme having an 85.2 QB rating.

Terrell Davis...but I've made that point already. I get it, Elway is your favorite of the bunch so therefore in your mind he's the best.

I can stop arguing this now.
    test
  14. mr madness

No, but he did have Jackson, Johnson and Nattiel, the 3 amigos, the only team that really had a better group of recievers was the 49ers and the Redskins in the 80's.

But shit I almost forgot
    test
  15. Nam Dekan

He had some good receivers along with Davis during those 2 years. Rod Smith, Ed McCafferey and Shannon Sharpe.
    test
  16. Nam Dekan

Oilers and the Browns had some good receivers during the 80's. Oilers had an impressive group with Hill, Givens, Jefferies, and Duncan.
    test
  17. mr madness

Yeah, the Oilers did, but that was more towards the early 90's after Elway quit losing his Super Bowls, the Browns had Slaughter and Newsome, that's it.
    test
  18. pantherdef

pantherdef New Member

1. Joe Montana
    2. John Elway
    3. Troy Aikman
    4. Jim Kelly
    5.Dan Marino

If a qb is judged on wins and being clutch, I have to put troy up there. History has not been kind to Jim Kelly but people know the deal, and Marino was considered the gold standard of productivity. Right behind them I have Steve Young, Farve, and Warren Moon.
    test
  19. FlaccoDaGreat

FlaccoDaGreat New Member

how the fuck is troy up there and favre not? kill yourself

you niggas dont know shit

elway and favre were both on the all 90s team....troy aikmen wasnt. so your automatically wrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_1990s_All-Decade_Team

jim kelly got to 4, played in 3 and he lost all of them

elways talented, clutch overall the best, had a rocket launcher arm maybe even better than favres....he is overall the best montana was accurate but he didnt put up his numbers and his body died out before his.

i also heard someone bring up his injuries and what could have been. fuck out my face we dont do could have beens, hes already retired. and look at his team. he had ronnie lott, jerry rice, that tight end, and a sick D. oh yeah bill walsh....

who was the coach of elway most of his career? no one good until shannhan. he carried his team to the superbowl with no real team until TD and shannon sharpe.

theres no need to even argue why favre is number 2...look at his accomplishments and just look at him on the field. i rather have him than montana.

i dont need to say anything for joe cause you guys already sucked him clean

marinos numbers were unheard of the ideal pocket passer. prolly the most accurate of them all

montanas team was in its prime when it got to the superbowl, elway was still a young bull. just for the fact elway once again took his team the FURTHEST it can go, thats sick. he may not have won all five but damn just getting there with less to work with. hes only one man and montana was in his prime....what can he do you cant discredit him for losing to the niners.

elway = the best cause of his ability to give his team a chance to get to the superbowl every year, even by himself....just add one more person you are winning 2 in a row.
    test
  20. FlaccoDaGreat

FlaccoDaGreat New Member

oh and elway has more probowls

case closed
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.