To the adults here....

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by F Major, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

do ya thang dawg...i'm just sayin why do niggaz feel that if you make beats and HE make beats....that means we need to collab

i just got thru gettin on my nigga about that shit cuz he keep sendin me lame fruity loop melodies wantin me to "do somethin wit that"

come on dawg, that shit weak...make ya own weaknesses....

thats ALL i'm sayin nigga......
    test
  2. 7thHorseMen

7thHorseMen New Member

I think it depends on how you work in the studio

theres no right or wrong way to do it
    test
  3. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

Like Thuggy Fresh said, I don't invite any cat to my studio. Usually I see them at a function or cats tell me about them, so I tell them to give me a call. When they do come through, they are told to come alone. And honestly they can hate and be jealous, if they do act up, they'll get slapped silly and knocked the fuck out.

As for collabin on beats, I personally love workin with musicians and other producers cuz they bring their own style and creativity and so do i, and we end up making a tight joint. Its always fun. My sound engineer and I usually think up of the same ideas though when it comes to mixing.
    test
  4. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

i have to tell my niggaz ALLL the time not to bring niggaz that "think" they can rap over

not only does it make the track weak....it frustrates me recording them because i have to listen the weak verse over and over again and the shit get stuck in my head....then i find myself recitin the nigga verse in the bathroom while i'm shavin.....
    test
  5. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

test
  6. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

lmao urban is not lying.. beat collabs are not good for business either.. if u ever do one, make sure you get a good benefit out of it as well.. cuz you're gonna be giving up at least half your publishing, half the producers advance, half everything.. the only collabs I reccomend are with other MUSICIANS who can contribute some flavor to YOUR beat.. I know a dope guitar player that we exchange our musical strengths on beats.. I'll come add some keys to his beats.. and he'll add guitar to mine.. and we have increased both of our networks as a result.. but 2 producers tappin away at the same keyboard is not efficient lol.. I think most people make their best shit when they can go into their own vibe for an hour or two and get creative..
    test
  7. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

^^ true

luckily for me I don't have to deal with the whole publishing issues because I usually have that sorted out in two ways. Either they get paid for the guitar they played or whatever instrument, be it violin or whatever, or they get no more than a 10% royalty on the beat. That's how I roll.

LMFAO @ URB and whack dudes...I don't know if you guys rap, but I think that might be the worst thing for me, is like when cats know my album's coming out and they always buggin about making an "appearance" on the album. I just make up bullshit and tell them my label picks the tracks, which is bullshit, because I own my label, and I just have a distribution deal with Sony BMG...They so clueless about the industry that they don't know the first thing about copyrighting or the difference between a record deal and a distribution deal.

Pz
    test
  8. Phoenix5891

Phoenix5891 T.S.K.

test
  9. heroinhav

heroinhav New Member

I disagree. College was a waist of time for me and it's not for everybody. If I'm not interested in something I'm not going to put 100% into it which was the case in school. All school did was distract me from something I really loved.

I don't think it's a smart move to finish school just for your parents. Live for YOU. Saying music isn't a solid ground to stand on is foolish and insecure. If you're versatile, smart, dedicated and willing to network the possibilities are endless... especially if you have a load of different skills. It's not about being "found" anymore... 90% of it is about YOUR work ethic and selling yourself to the lable. Unlike back before the internet where it was 90% of the lable discovering you.
    test
  10. heroinhav

heroinhav New Member

LMAO
    test
  11. MAD SKREWS

MAD SKREWS Dear Mr.Toilet, Im Da Shi

Everyone needs to read "rich dad poor dad"... it's changed my life about everything, including music and the decision i've made to not solely pursue a music career and grow my assets.. At the end of the day, some will say "I don't want to live with the regret of what if".. I say, I don't want to be broke at 35 saying, "what if I had started my own company young instead of being broke"..

I decided a while back that I would focus my efforts on making money. For the adults, if you plan on having children and a wife (which most probably do want to eventually settle) think about the position you will be when that comes. Your 20's are MEANT TO WORK! not to bullshit and just smoke weed and feel responsibility free.. Make something of yourself while you are still young or work at something so hard there is no choice but to make it while obviously playing your cards with as best odds possible (not start playing ball at 16 and hope to make it to NBA type shit)..

I agree 100% that if you don't fully focus your energy, time and passion to this music shit, your chances of making it are slim to non. At the end of the day, the most important thing to do is make a decision. Decide where you want to be in the future now while young.. The longer you take to ask yourself "what do I really want to do", the longer you'll be doing absolutely nothing to get there..

Skrews
    test
  12. Sindustry

Sindustry Playgrind Publishing Co.

I probably have a different perspective than most here. I kinda fell into this whole beat game by accident. I started playing bass in bands back in high school. I had plans to make it big and moved to LA to pursue that dream but after months and months of sleeping on floors and starving I started looking into the college option. I looked into audio engineering because I had a love for recording ever since a friend introduced me to his state of the art four track cassette studio. I had saved enough money washing dishes to buy my own along with a drum machine and never stopped making tracks. Anyway, I was talked out of a career in music by a college counselor who told me there were no jobs in the field. I'm still kicking myself today for listening to that pencil pusher.

Flash forward many years, I had no desire to go to college for something I was not interested in, but went anyway and got a BS degree (they call it that for a reason). I bounced from job to job for years before finally taking a city job doing mindless labor working for bureaucratic idiots. By this time I had met my future wife and needed something stable. I was still making tracks, but mainly for myself. I rarely played them for anyone unless they took an interest in my hobby. Looking back, I have many regrets career-path wise and feel I sold myself short.

I make a decent paycheck from my regular job and 100% goes to pay my bills and take care of a stay-at-home wife and three kids. I've been very good with my money, will have my home paid for in a few years, alot of money in a 401K, and vested in a comfortable city pension. All that being said, I have yet to give up on music. My goals are probably somewhat different than most here. I stopped putting tracks online pretty much years ago. I got tired of the hassle trying to sell beats. I got the opportunity to get into a music publishing library, now owned by Getty Images that changed my focus. I still write in my own style, whatever I'm feeling at the time. I just shop tracks to music publishers and advertising agencies. I make a little more money each year and anticipate my side income will surpass my job income within two years.

I see young guys like Soleternity taking the leap of faith and going all out towards his goal. He's got a few things going for him, that I believe he will make a nice career out of his music: talent, determination, a plan, and a strong mind. If you have all that, I think you would be well served to follow your heart. For many though, that may not be the right way to go. It was not for me.

My philosophy on life has changed over the years, and the things that are happening for me musically now, I wasn't mature enough to deal with when I was younger. I was too interested in partying and fucking groupies back then. I still use the internet, but I'm pounding the pavement and making some decent connections locally.

My advice: find what you truly love to do in life and the success will follow. Pursue your passion anyway you can. I've found its never too late.
    test
  13. MAD SKREWS

MAD SKREWS Dear Mr.Toilet, Im Da Shi

My advice to Sindustry: Take your money out of that city pension. They are robbing you and you don't even know it. Many cities do the same thing and paint the picture that investing your money with them is the best thing for you. I would suggest you speak to a primerica rep in your area. They will give you a detailed financial needs analysis and help you see the clearer picture with all kinds of illustrations so you can see where your money really needs to be. Suggestion only. Everything else, I agree.

Skrews
    test
  14. BlaZeDemBeaTz

BlaZeDemBeaTz 5 Letters - YMCMB

This is a interesting thread, and I feel it would be interesting to see what the same people who posted in here feel today, 2 1/2 years later... Because as we know times change and people change...

Hell, since then the whole music industry has changed due to the ipod generation totally demolishing album sales...And producers get paid alot less in the major industry...

When this thread was made I already had my first big break in the music industry... having one of the most talked about tracks of '06 and even a music vid where my production was the 2nd single in the video next to a Kanye West track...and to date Ive had around 20 industry releases and even done beat collaborations with Just Blaze and Alchemist...

I had already graduated college around age 21, but was not using my degree and focusing 100% on production, day and night. In that meantime I had a bunch of placements lined up on major albums...and being naive and new to the actual music industry I was kinda blinded and thought everything was going to be peaches and cream...
    Almost every corner you turn to... someone in the game is gonna try to fuck you over or take advantage of you... And I know it wasn't just me because I know other upcoming industry producers who are going through the same situations...

Say you have 5 placements lined up on major records... Ok your about to bank, right?
    well labels used to give you half your advance up front, half when the record comes out to secure the track...That practice has been thrown out the door due to shrinking budgets. So You could be waiting a year or longer per check...Then out of them 5 tracks...3 of them might get scrapped and never see the light of day...So now you have been waiting over a year to get paid for 2 different records...Which might be 2 diff $5,000 checks, and you'll have to break bread with managers, laywers, or other people who earn a cut (including the IRS who will want around 30% of anything you files a w9 on)... and for example, out of them 2 records... 1 might pay you with no hassle... then the 2nd might just try to screw you over and not pay you at all. Then you go into a huge hassle just to get paid... So after the big hassle... you got your advances... but say you used samples in the records?... say goodbye to most of the back-end publishing you were to recieve...
    Sadly, you can accumulate more $ working with indy artists in the time your waiting for a industry artist to break bread...
    Your defense could be to say "well you gotta get the singles and the ringtone money"... but that all falls into dirty politics... You could have the right sound for that, or even the better track, but there gonna take a jr rotem track over yours anyday... That's something I feel falls into luck and polotics... It's almost like if you don't have someone huge co-signing you then ur gonna have a way tougher time.

That is NOT my situation but it is a good example of how the music biz actually works at this time...

I feel that from my experiences I learned this is not a game you want to put all your eggs into 1 basket til your totally comfortable financially...Music is still my #1 priority. But I had to get my hustle up...

I'm 26 years old and I have a wife and a kid...
    If I woulda stayed naive and on the 100% music hustle... I would prob be still in my apt. struggling...
    Because I wised up I have a 2000 sq. foot house in the suburbs with a big ass yard, garage, 50" plasma, nice studio, ect...
    I get my $ then anything from music is just a added bonus...

Music is always my #1 priority... but you gotta get your $ from all angles, because for the meantime music money might not pour in like u expected it.
    test
  15. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

Good update INFO
    test
  16. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

1st of all, great fuckin post, can i copy that shit onto my blog and give u credit as author

2nd- when Pac died, death row papers were audited and showed that artists, producers, engineers, board operators, musicians, etc, were owed over $13 million in unpaid royalties. these labels are not paying back end, theyre keeping that shit. in my major label experiences, the money u get up front is the only money u gonna see. shit, I dont even know how these labels could track me down unless they call me (my # has never changed in the last 5 years), Ive changed residence 7 times since 2004. And they do not like to call U. ASCAP wont call U, U must file with them. But when You ry to call the labels, the A&R has been fired, or has changed projects, or the department has closed down, or the intern is now handling it, or some stupid corporate bullshit games. I had a reverse expereicne from wht INFO said. I got paid a shitload of money to produce 2 beats that would never see the light of day. Jive A&R called me, asked me what my rate was, since the songs were already done and recorded, I told them a 5 figure amount, and they agreed to it for each. with no hesitation. they cut the whole advance up front, which the artist helped orchestrate, because everyone wanted to get paid, because the artist had another agenda and just wanted to drain the budget. the songs are fuckin clasics, so are the beats, but that shit will never come out

with independent projects, they come out!! and you can build your own fanbase, you can work in whatever genre you want, you can put out your own projects if you have aspirations as an artist.. its all up to you.. build a team, build a label, put out the music that you like..
    test
  17. MgTheFuture

MgTheFuture Music is my life

Hmnn, 2 and a half years ago...

things were alot different personally, but musically, just the same.

When my dad was sent to prison, it caused me to "grow up". So i been through a tornado of BS 40-50 hour a week retail and fast food jobs, walking a hour to work, and jumping here to there.

moved to atlanta, lived in NC, been up north...just taking shots in the dark.

Finally decided to persue home recording this year, to get some extra money on the side, and gear up.

By this time, im living on my own, paying 700$ for a loft, and so on...
    So my job, that was paying me almost 100$ a night on weekends, gets closed down.

and im stuck. No way in hell can i work min wage again, and sustain...

So i focus all my energy into beat making and recording.

Did so, networked with alot of artists, did a few shows, sold alot of beats, produced 3 artists whole albums locally, and got my name out.

Speed up a little bit....

around beginning of summer, becuase people knew where i lived and i was making cash everynight... someone tried to break in my house and rob me at gun point.

Needless to say, it failed.

However, that experience made me question who my friends were. And it made me realize, its hard for people to see you do good. There's alot of starving people who want what you got, even if they have to risk their life to take it.

So, now... i met with an artist, who was starting a label. We met each other in middle school, and rejoined paths on PMPworldwide of all places. He was in school in maryland...at the time

Now he is back in raleigh, and we have teamed up to work on his label together. We have 3 acts under us, im the main producer, and we have connects with some good ent lawyers and his people are stting us up shows at charity events and certain things in this city, as well as up north.

And on top of it all, now im an artist.

And i went from my great depression, of 3-10 beats a month...to over 30 beats every month...as of now.

I got a new set of artists im dealing with, and a new environment, that has a better support system, then me being on my own.

My dream never changed, it just got modified.

I learned that your personal life, dictates alot of what decisions you make towards your career.

I just thank God for the law of attraction, and sending me people who support my vision, and don't get in my way.

I reached alot of road blocks, hating family memebers, jealous friends, but it can't stop you...It won't stop me.

So in the next 2 years or so...i should have accomplished a big block of my dream. a tour around the world, a few major releases, some writer/publishin awards, and maybe a grammy....

It's all in focus, keep focused.

everything else is drawn to the one who requires it.
    test
  18. Hitman J

Hitman J lets get get get it....

However, that experience made me question who my friends were. And it made me realize, its hard for people to see you do good. There's alot of starving people who want what you got, even if they have to risk their life to take it.

real talk..

ima update my visions when i get a minute to write
    test
  19. heroinhav

heroinhav New Member

The key is to be smart about your money and your money will work for you. Selling beats is a GREAT hustle!!! but expand your mind and make money different ways. Save your money and let that money grow while you're still stacking money from royalties, a part time job or whatever you do!

College is great if you're studying something your interested in... but college isn't the ANSWER. The answer is learning how to control your money.

Save up money to buy something that will give you more money such as real estate, stocks or a product that you can sell and generate more money.
    test
  20. 7thHorseMen

7thHorseMen New Member

Everything I said 2 years ago is still relevent till this day.

I still feel the same way, and I'm still pursueing music.

I haven't gotten far as I wanted to because due to some family problems. I had to put everything on hold. But right now I'm back on my grind.

Education is something you need but nothing in life is gurantee.

Not only that, you can get put on as a producer at any age.

As long as your music is relevent you can still get put on at any age.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.