To the adults here....

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by F Major, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

Are you pursuing your passion or are you pursuing your career with music as just a side thing? Its definitely a choice that is made once you hit a certain point in life. What made you decide to handle that decision the way you did? This question is really for those that are grown, have their own place(not living off mom and dad), and a 9-5 that doesnt involve retail, or fast food.
    test
  2. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

music was never a main objective....ppl need to learn to be realistic about their goals.....theres no Music 'draft'...theres no guarantee that your talents will ever be discoverwed or even Evaluated for that matter...so its not like gettin drafted to the nba or nfl.....so u gotta get ya education and pursue a more practical career where its easy to be evaluated and considered for a position, thats just the mature thing to do....and i should know because that was a choice i had to make 3 years ago....sometimes u just gotta choose your livelyhood over music man....focus on it as a side gig...but make sure u can plant your feet on solid ground...u can build castles with sand.....but when the floods come u right back at square one....even if u get THAT far in the first place....

i'm in school and i work for credit suisse investment bank...i'm comfortable right now....actually might be renting a house....i wont buy one now tho...i want that to be somethin to experience with the future wife....whenever that may be......

well, thats my point of view on the whole thing
    test
  3. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

Real Talk @ Urban
    test
  4. Reign

Reign Let it...

Well I dont work in fast food BUT i do work in a restaurant... BUT thats all i got right now so I'm taking it. I'm a full time student and work full time and me and my girl just got a 2 bedroom apt. and shes 6 months along. Music used to be a "I need to get signed" type of activity but over the last year I've matured a lot more and I just do it because I enjoy doing it and because it's an escape from everything else.

But I been away from moms support for a few years now, and for working in a restaurant I'm doin aright. No complaints whatsoever
    test
  5. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

exactly the direction I want to see this thread going, keep building
    test
  6. Turl

Turl Producer

im finished my a-levels, not sure what thats equal to in the US, but i was in university for 6 months after that, dropped out of after that - didnt enjoy the course at all.. to much bullshit like java programming for my liking. So im studying Media/Music at the minute.. when this course is finished i plan to do a higher course of the same style.
    test
  7. Mellow Madness

Mellow Madness aKa sTaTiK

I Actually Just Fell Into Beatmaking And Just Got Hooked.. It Was Never Something That I Planned To Persue In..

Its Mainly A Hobby That I Love To Death.. And Make Money On.. For Something.. That I Dont Dedicate My Career To.. It Helps Cover Some Bills.. As Well As For Spending Money...

But My Main Career Is What I'm Doing Now..

Beatmaking Will Never Be My Main Priority.
    test
  8. Money Greene

Money Greene Da Man-Da Myth-Da Legend

I'm actually pursuing my passion with everything I got. I work 9-5 at and EDI company but music is still the main focus. I refuse to be 38 with a family and a 9-5 and always thinking "What If?" "What if I gave it my all, would I have made it?" So, I go hard at my passion so there is no way I can fail. None, anything I have ever gave everything to always worked out.

What made me make this decision was I graduated from college so all obligations I had were finished. I promised my mom that I would do that, so I did it. The rest of my life is mine and I love beats too much to not do it. So I moved to LA, then I moved to ATL.

I kind of disagree with Urb though, I cant focus on music now as a side thing. This is my main jump and if I treat it as my main jump, it will pay off.

I see it like this, at my age, im young enough to sacrifice my livelihood (im still making good money though) for music. Its not like I have a wife, child, car note, mortgage or anything serious like that. All i have to do is pay my rent and eat, after that, I got to go, excuse the white boy talk, balls to the wall at my dream. No homo.
    test
  9. ChaseNCashe

ChaseNCashe If it aint Polo, Keep It!

^^^ Thats whats up.

I'm in college now and I'm bout to quit lol.

You can always go to a community college and do your thing.

Music is my life. Fuck what anyone says.

My moms dont like me dedicating all my time to it but i could careless. If she puts me out thats even better.
    test
  10. Money Greene

Whoa, whoa, whoa young man. Don't be all quick to leave the nest and get into this real shit. Community colleges really aint the jump. Where you got your degree from and your experience really hold a lot of weight. I didn't want to finish college but i'm glad I did because I would not have been able to land this kushy, easy ass, good paying job.
    test
  11. ChaseNCashe

ChaseNCashe If it aint Polo, Keep It!

Man fuck college man lol.

I'ma finish out this semester. Move away from New Orleans..do music and then do school part time and shit.
    test
  12. -008-

-008- New Member

I am Music, Music, Music.

Everything else is a side thing.

If the whole shit house goes up in flames tommorow,

what did you spend most of your time doing?

Hopefully not making some multi-national corp. richer and richer. and richer.......

Life is a beautiful thing, music is a true Blessing. (even w/out any god)

008 aint had a job in 10 yrs.......( im a gigolo. what, byitch?!?)

Heres some knowledge fo ya.

As a man thinketh.

Here is a youth hard pressed by poverty and labor; confined long hours in an unhealthy workshop; unschooled, and lacking all the arts of refinement. But he dreams of better things. He thinks of intelligence, of refinement, of grace and beauty. He conceives of, mentally builds up, an ideal condition of life. The vision of the wider liberty and a larger scope takes possession of him; unrest urges him to action, and he utilizes all his spare time and means, small though they are, to the development of his latent powers and resources.

Very soon so altered has his mind become that the workshop can no longer hold him. It has become so out of harmony with his mentality that it falls out of his life as a garment is cast aside, and with the growth of opportunities which fit the scope of his expanding powers, he passes out of it forever.

Years later we see this youth as a full-grown man. We find him a master of certain forces of the mind which he wields with world-wide influence and almost unequaled power. In his hands he holds the cords of gigantic responsibilities. He speaks, and lo! lives are changed. Men and women hang upon his words and remold their characters, and, sunlike, he becomes the fixed and luminous center around which innumerable destinies revolve. He has realized the Vision of his youth. He has become one with his Ideal.
    test
  13. Medicinal

Medicinal nmljby

your absolutely right and anyone that says fuk college will probably be sorry when they turn 30... If you go to college you can be finished at 21, 22... thats still really young and you can do whatever you like after that and always have the degree to fall back upon. You do not necessarly have to go into the career that your degree pointed you towards however a college degree opens the door for jobs that a non-degree person can not and will not get and your pay will be double "most" non-degree people. And now a degree has become like a college diploma where it is almost expected....in addition it is cool to do all music etc...however you have to plan for when you are married, few kids and want a house....It will be much harder to afford all of these without one... or the buy the home of your desire... or go on the vacation of your desire....but with all that said... dont go into some major that pays your 20,000 when you graduate eg. sociology, physiology, communications.
    test
  14. -008-

-008- New Member

test
  15. M.Maestro

M.Maestro Ghost

If I don't make it in some FORM of music (WHICH I HIGHLY DOUBT). I will be part of music regardless.. if I'm playin an instrument, doing live shows... writing for a score, or writing a theme song for a tv show.. WHATEVER. My music doesn't stop with rap and r&b. I'm learnin all forms, so IF rap doesnt work, or RNB doesn't work. I still got jazz, I still got smooth jazz, neo soul, I still know how to work the keys, play the guitar, bass whatever..

But if BTY SOME chance I never get any work (WHICH I HIGHLY DOUBT AGAIN lmao)

I'll be doing Audio engineering, which I plan to take soon.... so.. In the end ,I will be in music..

simple... there aint no ifs about what i'm doin, I'm going ot do it, and thats it.
    test
  16. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

I turn 25 in a week. Got my BA from University of Maryland. I had a career going but recent left my job to have more time to dedicate to music. I bartend now to make dough but focus on music. The point came when I got in contact with a couple artists with undeniable talent and then just recently got some major exposure. So now, it's Taping Your Mouth Entertainment, LLC. My partner is 28 and an engineer. We take this as serious as a heart attack and I love music almost as much as I love my mama. There's no other way for me. Shit is in my veins, and I'm determined to succeed.

I realized a few years ago that I can't work for anyone else. I have a low tolerance for bullshit, and I always found myself questioning the dumbass decisions that my bosses would make. Plus I can't put in 20-25 years at some job just so I can get a bullshit pension, a plaque, and a gold Montblanc when I retire. Music allows me to be autonomous and do what I love to do.
    test
  17. (( Ozone ))

(( Ozone )) t-t-t-t-toxiq

I don't see how anyone can pursue a career at this music shit, attain some sort of success, and STILL be passionate about it.

There's just way too much bullshit that comes with being in this biz, I seen too much son... regardless of whether I have the oppertunity to really blow up or not... certain shit has just turned me the fuck off.

But this music shit is dumb lucrative if u know what you're doing, so it's still my main focus. But I'm on some "whateva" shit now... I make what sells the most.. cash my check and keep it movin.
    test
  18. qp -q to the p-

qp -q to the p- Active Member

Just got my application for Full Sail in the mail today. I am getting an associate's degree in business administration from a college I am attending now, but I am looking to start over and getting a Recording Arts Degree (associates degree) from Full Sail and then completeting their Entertainment Business Degree (Bachelors degree) after. This is something I've been thining about for a while, but just now doing.. can't wait to go though
    test
  19. Fro$tyTheGreat

Fro$tyTheGreat The Head Honcho

smh

when will niggas realize that production isn't the ONLY way in the music business? if you have a crazy ear for good music then you can be an A&R, or recruiter, etc. YOU DON'T ONLY HAVE TO BE A PRODUCER TO GET IN THE GAME. there are labels out here right now hiring people JUST for that.

I personally think that a lot of ya'll just ain't well-rounded and can only make beats. with me, this is WAYYYY bigger than just producing. I know how to craft good music, market artists, and my business-knowledge is on some other shit. whatever position you're in though, you're going to have to work your way up. cause that's how the business is designed.

but to answer the question, my main focus is music. i'll make it one way or the other because I don't only make beats. period
    test
  20. Money Greene

I couldn't be an A&R. Honestly, fuck an A&R. They the ones that get in the way the most. Their seems to be a lack of musical vision with them, its bottom line only. I know its a damn businees but its also an art.....let me stop my rambling.

Ozone is right too, way too much BS and politics in this shit. Once you start dealing with money and actual signed artists, it starts to pick with you. I honestly don't know how long I will be able to do music but I have to at least give it my all so i can never ask "What If?"
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.