-Tips When Performing a Spoken Word???-

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by RealMS, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

Hey y'all
    I've only done a spoken word once in my life in front of a small crowd, and next week I'll be doing one for this talent show at the campus here next Thursday. No way can I memorize one in such a short time, but I need some tips, I think I'll be nervous a lil since its a big crowd. Anything would be helpful and very much appreciated.
    Love-
    test
  2. Clarksvegas_Dan

Clarksvegas_Dan Registered Voter

Well, I'm not the expert, but I would say remember that spoken word is also a true performance art. Project your voice or not dependent on the tone, use gestures, walk around, interact with the audience, enunciate, make good use of your pauses and such, and most importantly--Get your point across. That's what I would do.
    test
  3. allnakey

allnakey Sex is no fun by yourself

Never did on in my life, i'd say just go to more spoken words and just observe what the performers do. The best way to learn the art of spoken word is to see it more and more.
    test
  4. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

I've done it only once.

And somebody told me if you're nervous just look at one paticular thing, like in the middle of the crowd. And focus on that one thing. It helped me out alot.

But yeah you also gotta move around alot and interact(sp) with the crowd.

As far as rememberin the lines. Start off maybe like 3 lines at a time, and try to get those down until you know them by heart. Then go on to the next 3.

good luck
    test
  5. RealMS

I pretty much just gotta work on the nervousness-like those crazy butterflies that swarm in the pit of my stomach. The advice given is really what I was aiming at too, and I hope it goes well. I appreciate it-lets hope I don't fall and break a leg now!
    -Much Love
    test
  6. MISSKEYdaQUEEN

MISSKEYdaQUEEN Watch the black panther..

I'm sorry I didnt peep this earlier mah!

I've been doing Spoken Word poetry for 6 months now. I do it at 3-5 different spots so I am very regular. My advice to you(and I am no pro yet either) is to embrace the audience. They for the most part are not out to get you. They want to be inspired. Read about something you believe in and become comfortable with reading it on paper..It's ok! Many poets (even slam poets) read off paper. But read it like fluid off the paper! Find that place you were in when you wrote the piece and go there inside. You have to feel your words. If you don't feel them no one else will!

Luvmisskey- aim

hit me up if you need to!
    test
  7. RealMS

-thanks gyrl
    test
  8. MisterEThoughts

MisterEThoughts MysteryOfUntoldTruth

Hmm I done it couple times what I do is practice it in front of the mirror for like 20 min a day and practice the pauses and things like that and the movement and such and just keep doing that in front of the mirror get ur friends to watch u let them be your audience.... good luck
    test
  9. DaJackle

DaJackle ThoughtS ProcessinG

yeah, I agree with misterE...first practice it in your private...then...do it in front of people friends, someone you just met...that's what i did for my one talent show...lol i read to 5 people at my job...heh they'll respect you too, and it's a good way to gain a new friend ^_^
    test
  10. DaJackle

DaJackle ThoughtS ProcessinG

forgot my point lol...the point was that...the more you do it in front of random people, the more confidence you'll have doing it in front of random audience
    test
  11. RealMS

lol ^ thanks for the advice DaJackle, the talent show was in July. Nah I'm clowning, I appreciate you takin the time, I'll hold it for future reference. My creative writing instructor says I am too elegant for spoken words, unless I change up my style and put the upmost power in my words-yeah I understand but damn that was a full audience and I was nervous as hell. I didn't win but I still got much props and respect for just doin it lol. Thanks homeboy
    -Peace
    test
  12. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

Your creative writing teacher was a retard... spoken word can be elegant, just don't read it all thugged out or anything. Always try to break the ice first with the audience... make some kind of joke, ask how they're doing (my favorite), get them warmed up because otherwise they'll just sit there and only half pay attention, then clap when your done, and wait for it to be over so they can smoke weed, or play bongos.
    test
  13. MISSKEYdaQUEEN

MISSKEYdaQUEEN Watch the black panther..

^^^Yessssss yessss!!! I feel that! Go up there and be like "How are you tonight!! Make a joke maybe. I always talk about my children..ex-Dayum my son tripped me out today..yadda yadda..

Something sincere and natural though, not rehearsed!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.