Time To Lose Some Weight

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Troll, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troll

Troll New Member

Back in high school, I was skinny as shit. I was 6 foot, 135-140. I was a twig. Basketball kept me conditioned. Since graduation (3 years) and in between working numerous desk jobs, I've gained SIXTY-FIVE pounds. I'm currently at 205 pounds. I feel like shit. I don't want to be 140. I want to be about 170. I still play ball, but it's like once or twice every two weeks which doesn't really do shit.

My eating habits are horrible. I eat late every night, and eat fast food too much. I drink tons of soda. I know these need to change, that's common sense.

So strictly to lose weight, not to gain muscle mass in the process, what would you suggest?

After reading through this forum I see a few things are being suggested:
    Sit-ups/Crunches
    Running on a track every night
    Interval Running
    Jump roping

I love Smart Ones, Budget Gourmets and whatnot, so eating those aren't a problem.

I just have this big gut now. I don't drink or smoke, so it's purely the food I eat, when I eat it, and the lack of exercise.

What do you suggest? Could someone write up a weekly exercise routine for someone in my situation?

Here's what to remember:
    Currently 205 pounds, wanting to get down to 170.
    I like to play basketball, so if you could factor that in somehow, great.

Thanks in advance!
    test
  2. -Paper Chase-

-Paper Chase- alwaysgotberrybluetoblow

Just seen your myspace, nice tee shirt, I have the same one..

Anyways here's what you should do:

Minimize your intake of sugar
    Don't eat past like 8 pm
    Don't drink any more soda
    Drink a lot of water
    Count your calories, try to eat under 2,000 a day
    Run the track 4 to 5 days a week (every day isnt necessary but if you want to, do it)
    Lift some weights
    Do the 8 Minute Abs work out everyday (there's a link to it in this forum)
    Do push ups and pull ups everyday

If you do all that for a week or two, you'll lose weight..and once you start seeing progress it'll become alot less depressing to do haha..and you'll be a 170 in no time..
    test
  3. Troll

Troll New Member

If I did that religiously, whats a timeframe I may be able to get to 170?
    test
  4. -Paper Chase-

-Paper Chase- alwaysgotberrybluetoblow

35 pounds..hmm I'd say two months? It depends on how hard you work..
    test
  5. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

first off, exercising is going to make your weight loss a lot easier, and youll look good when you lose it.

2nd, the key to weight loss is diet. i can only give you broad information, however. if you want more than what i give you, you need to speak with a registered dietition because neither i nor the people in this forum know anything about your medical background which impacts diet greatly.

so step 1

correct your poor eating habits.

STOP drinking soda, completely, period, none, ever.water should make up 90% of your liquid intake, a cup or two of coffee and milk with cereal, thats it.

START eating more frequently with smaller portions. 5-7 mals a day, this means breakfast everyday, this also means eating a meal 30-60mins before bed...yes you WILL be eating before bed.

EAT CLEAN. no cookies, ice cream, junk food, fast food, etc. you know whats good and bad for you, and if you have to ask then its probaly bad. nothing thats frozen or in a bag. stick mainly to the permiter of the super-market, skip the aisles except for essentials.

next step is figuring out what you should be eating now, how much youre going to be eating@ your weight and importantly, how to get there.

take your bodyweight and convert it to KG (your weight in lbs divided by 2.2) the formula only works with KILOS so make sure you convert it first

next, (im assuming youre between 18-30yrs old) do this formula: (15.3 x wt.)+679

next step, next you figure out your lifestyle
    1.3 sedentary: no/little daily activity
    1.6 light ocassional unplanned activity
    1.7 moderate daily planned activity, such as brisk walk
    2.1 heavy daily workout routine consisting of several hrs of exercise
    2.4 exceptional daily wrokouts for extended hrs:competition training

now take whatever you got from the formula, and multiply it by whatever the number is infront of your daily level of activity

ex. (120lb/2.2=54.5) <-- kg conversion

(14.7x54.5)+496 = 1,297

1,297x1.6 = 2075 cals daily

now as your daily level fo exercise increases and so forth youre going to need to re-do the formulas to accomodate your changes and also to see what you should be eating@ your ideal weight.

now, once youve figure out your current caloric intake needs make the approiate calorie cuts to get there. start by dropping 100 cals a day, 500 a week, whatever youre able to do.

i also reccomend keeping your carbohydrate intake to below 100 grams a day, id honestly reccomend going lower than that but youre just starting. also keep in mind your pre-bed meal should be something like cottage+peanut butter or sugar free jello, (some BCCA's are great too) avoid carbs pre-bed because those are what cause fat stores.

now for exercise, the good stuff.

you spend a lot of time sitting you said, so check this out http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1561783 (this goes for anyone else ...especially on this site)..i think theres another article too so search around that site a bit, its grade A, honestly.

oh btw, no biking for you.

you like basketball so do more of that, play full court games if you can.

HIIT training is definately going to give you the best results for fat loss as well. circuit training will be good too, and will not only give you muscle mass but will improve your cardio also. its going to seem like a lot at first but i have a more intense approach to exercise than most, even when dealing with begginers.

also, no machines...god i hate them. they take away so many stabilizer muscles and secondary (antagonist) muscles and leave out the eccentric range of motion(i,e. the gravity resistance on the way down). so if youre going to hit the weights hit the freeweights, i dont are if you need to use 5lbs for bicep curls, you will get stronger and move up. you ask any real athelete, bodybuilder, or trainer and they will tell you that form is key so dont feel embarassed about using a low weight because muscle is going to build and grow and youll do more. also keep in mind that when you do different exercises for the same muscle (like skullcrushers vs overhead extensions) you arent going to use the same weight because theres a variance in the mechanics of the lift.

which reminds, do new workouts as often as possible, changing them every week is great to avoid plateaus and make new growth.

good luck, work hard, and stay focused.
    test
  6. Troll

Troll New Member

Awesome man! You guys are very informative.

I appreciate it!
    test
  7. you need a good diet... i drink alot of orange juice, and eat alot of bannanas lol.. i was bad and ate my moms food she made me for my birthday tho lol..

i do the 8 minute abs workout i think i posted the link from dailymotion somewhere if you cant find it search dailymotion.com.. you should run everyday i hate running inside so i usually go outside but with the 100+ degree weather its kind of hard to do it more than 5 minutes... buy a weight bench if you dont already have one or if you dont have much space get some exersize balls, i would take those over a weight bench but i already had a weight bench so i didnt buy any yet.
    test
  8. LiveFromThe781

i used to do the 8 minute abs, i dont think they work very well. i mean, if you need to start a core foundation then i suppose you could start with that,even though doing sqauts and one arm bench pressing will probaly be better since abs are used as stabilizers in many compound lifts but after a couple of weeks you should be moving on to pull ups, hangin knee-ups, windshield wipers, weighted sit-ups, serratus crunches, barbell roll-outs, etc.

then if you want them to actually show, you gotta cut a ton of carbs -regardless of your diet.
    test
  9. stunnaa

stunnaa New Member

eating right is def the most important.
    test
  10. LiveFromThe781

yup, thats why you can see 70 pound 12 year olds with abs.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.