timbo = beat jacker

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by urban_tactics, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

deuce....if u say that dumb ass shit one more time.......
    test
  2. *Deuce Wilde*

*Deuce Wilde* aka stfu dave

test
  3. GTDProductions

GTDProductions Aye

and den....and den..and den and den and den and dennnn.......
    test
  4. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

test
  5. ian_n__

ian_n__ New Member

yall obviously didn't read, original song was not copyrighted. and I fail to see how sampling electronica is the same as interpolating another hip hop beat. ethically and legally its the same, but whatever. LOL @ sampling some soul or something not being the same as sampling a composed beat, tho. what was the song you sampled, not composed? it just appeared out of thin air?
    test
  6. generalK

generalK New Member

Not copyrighted?

Of course it's copyrighted. If I record myself sitting on the toilet taking a dump, that clip is copyrighted right there. If you make something that's your own, it's copyrighted. It doesn't have to be registered anywhere. Just because you can download it for free on the Internet it doesn't mean he gives away all rights to it.
    test
  7. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

check again buddy. all that means is you can prove u didnt steal it if someone came at you with it. But only official copyrights hold up in court. which means you cant sue someone with just the "proof" you made it. you can only defend.

no point in arguing with me. That's wat THEY told me. so if you feel you wanna argue call them and argue with them.
    test
  8. *Deuce Wilde*

why the fuck would there be a copyright department if the second you record something it's officially copyrighted? are you seriously that dumb??

that finnish shit was supposed to be a hip hop beat?
    test
  9. generalK

generalK New Member

test
  10. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

dawg, between this thread and the other one, im convinced that your fucking retarded. but its not your fault, i blame your parents and their faulty genes for making you so fucking stupid.

qoute from the copy rightoffice

"How to Secure a Copyright
    Copyright Secured Automatically upon Creation

The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently misunderstood. No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure copyright. (See following note.) There are, however, certain definite advantages to registration. See “Copyright Registration.”

Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created, and a work is “created” when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. “Copies” are material objects from which a work can be read or visually perceived either directly or with the aid of a machine or device, such as books, manuscripts, sheet music, film, videotape, or microfilm. “Phonorecords” are material objects embodying fixations of sounds (excluding, by statutory definition, motion picture soundtracks), such as cassette tapes, CDs, or LPs. Thus, for example, a song (the “work”) can be fixed in sheet music (“copies”) or in phonograph disks (“phonorecords”), or both. If a work is prepared over a period of time, the part of the work that is fixed on a particular date constitutes the created work as of that date."
    test
  11. *Deuce Wilde*

so we basically have a copyright department for nothing?

as premize said, call them yourselves

and also, that shit is a bunch of horse shit. as urb stated before i believe, i could mail myself an unopened envelope, stamped today or tomorrow, whatever, then down the road say a song comes out with an instrumental (let's say produced by Scott Storch) that's all over the internet (or any song for that matter, i'm just saying that for example purposes), i could download said instrumental and burn it to a CD, write (Copyright [Symbol] 2007 [Name]) on it, and seal it in the envelope... and let's just say this song came out in late '08 for example purposes. so then you're telling me i could sue Scott Storch saying i made that beat way back when?
    test
  12. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

dawg u really, really, dont know what the hell your talking about...go to copyright.gov and read up on all this shit...and the poor mans copyright with mailing shit to your self has failed to hold up in court several times, that shit is another misconception.
    test
  13. *Deuce Wilde*

which is exactly what my point was.... the site generalk posted said that poor-man's copyright was an acceptable form of copyrighting
    test
  14. ian_n__

ian_n__ New Member

Deuce, my point was in line with yours. I agree with you in your in-context definition of beat jacking. Sampling some electronica/techno/etc. is not the same as stealing a beat from another hip-hop producer and calling it yours. ethically and legally it is the same, however. thats my point, everyone should recognize both
    sides of the issue and leave it at that. And to Sam Sneed and generalK's points, copyright laws vary from country to country; quote from Finnish copyright law:

Art. 3. When copies of a work are made or when the work is made available to the public in its entirety or in part, the name of the author shall be stated in the manner required by proper usage.

A work may not be altered in a manner that is prejudicial to the author's literary or artistic reputation or to his individuality, nor may it be made available to the public in such a form or context as to prejudice the author in the manner stated.

The author may waive his rights under this Article with binding effect only in relation to use that is limited in character and extent.

Art. 4. A person who translates or adapts a work or converts it into some other literary or artistic form shall have copyright in the work in that new form, but his right to dispose of it shall be subject to the copyright in the original work.

If a person has drawn freely on a work to create a new and independent work, his copyright shall not be subject to the right in the original work.

Art. 5. A person who, by combining works or parts of works, creates a literary or an artistic compilation shall have copyright therein, but his rights shall not restrict the rights in the individual works.

As I stated before, Timbo should have given credit, wouldn't have cost him a cent. But did he break any laws? Doubtful.
    test
  15. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

^^^word. timbo definitely jacked dudes beat, and who the fuck knows how that shit can be sorted out with different countries laws...i wonder if something like this has ever been to court before?
    test
  16. Medicinal

Medicinal nmljby

I know that Dr. Dre and Truth hurts were getting sued over there use of the indian sample.... but I never heard what happen with that.... prob. settled out of court.
    test
  17. generalK

generalK New Member

The mailing stuff to yourself wasn't my point. The point was that the minute you create something of your own it is copyrighted.

Of course it is harder to prove that it's originally yours when it has not been registered at a copyright office, but in this case that's not a problem. It has been proved that the tune was uploaded to serveres in 2000.
    test
  18. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

a lot of you are fucking smokin crack...

theres no interpolation...its a straight sample....and if i read one more post about someone tryiing to say timbo doesnt sample imma drop kick someone....timbo fucking samples...stop making up bullshit....
    test
  19. *Deuce Wilde*

how is that a straight sample? the sounds used in timbos version differ from those in the original from what i can tell in the video
    test
  20. *Deuce Wilde*

nevermind yeah it does sound like a sample lol, couldn't tell in the video
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.