Throwback Track Of The Day: Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - Tha Crossroads

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Tray_Is_Gay, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tray_Is_Gay

Tray_Is_Gay Sup, Tray?!

[​IMG]

Audio CD (November 24, 1998)
    Label: Ruthless (Red)
    Album Title: E. 1999

"Following the surprise success of Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's summer 1994 anthem "Thuggish Ruggish Bone," the group returned a year later with E 1999 Eternal, an impressive debut full-length that dismisses any notion that the group was merely a one-hit wonder. From beginning to end, the album maintains a consistent tone, one that's menacing and somber, produced largely by DJ U-Neek, who frames the songs with dark, smoked-out G-funk beats and synth melodies. The Bone Thugs interweave their voices well, trading off verses and harmonizing on the choruses; plus, they sound more enthused and collaborative here than they ever again would, as they would later splinter and grow apart. There are a few standout moments, most notably the Grammy Award-winning ballad "Tha Crossroads" and the feel-good welfare ode "1st of the Month," as well as, of course, some obligatory blaze-some-to-this tracks, "Budsmokers Only" and "Buddah Lovaz." The intermittent tracks are good old-fashioned gangsta rap about murder, drugs, and money, though Bone's harmonious delivery makes them exceptionally interesting. In the end, the consistent tone that makes E 1999 Eternal such a beginning-to-end listen is unique among Bone's subsequent albums, which tend to be jumbled, as is the remarkable group cohesiveness, which is central to the appeal of standout songs like "Tha Crossroads" and "1st of the Month." Putting aside the disappointments that laid ahead for Bone, E 1999 Eternal stands as one of the most accomplished, unique hardcore rap albums of the '90s, one that's often unfairly overlooked, if not dismissed entirely. [The original release featured a different version of "Tha Crossroads" titled simply "Crossroad" that was quickly replaced by a radio-aired, Grammy-winning remix.]" ~ Jason Birchmeier, All Music Guide
    test
  2. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

If I did an album, I would love to have U-Neek produce a song for me. That dude was ill.

I listened to this album for literally 2 years almost everyday. It's close to flawless. "Buddah Lovas" is fucking horrible, though. Bone was one of the biggest 'fall-offs' in the history of rap.

"Crossroads" was a coo track - though I did like the OG "Crossroad" version better.
    test
  3. kyza soza

kyza soza This way up.

The video was sick, with the dude.. when he touches the old mans head and you see him die was dope.. and the baby.
    test
  4. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

and I'm gonna miss everybody, I'm gonna miss everybody (Long Gone), I'm gonna miss everybody....Living in a hateful world, sending me straight to hell, living in a hateful world sending me straight to hell
    test
  5. Infamous-J

Infamous-J O.G.

East1999 is flawlesss, Buddah Lovas was meant to catch heat cause its them harmonizing(more of which you saw on art of war)...Just ma 2 cents, I loved this album from front to back, and still play it non stop to this day....
    test
  6. NinoBrowN15

NinoBrowN15 the 100 million man

yeah this was a illy album i remember my step-pops had it
    test
  7. Rezor X

Rezor X Resurrects

East 1999 my nggas

think about back in the days when the year was '89
    little ngga on the grind, gotta get mine, doin my crime
    test
  8. Sick-Scripts

Sick-Scripts Stylish Irish = McFly

yea...this is the best shit they done imo

great song and an even better video

Eazy E in the clouds at the end

insane
    test
  9. TheNotoryousOne

TheNotoryousOne Grown Ass Man

^^^
    Agreed. One of the best videos ever. Bone's first two albums were tight as hell.
    test
  10. Senór Temp

Senór Temp Child of Monrovia ...

It was dope when it dropped but I can't listen to it now, there's much more to Bone Thugs than their most commercial song.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.