Three 6 Mafia Beats..... (Producers Enter)

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Rex Skully, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex Skully

Rex Skully .......

I need help making the kicks/bass in my beats hit like Three6Mafia... I want them to hit just like that...

I don't know what I'm missing... it's not as easy as just using the kicks/bass in a "Three 6 Drum Kit"... they sound muddy.

I know for the most part they just use 808's.. but the bass is SO clean and hit's perfectly on all speakers/subs...

what is it? their EQ'ing, compression? or something else?

any suggestions?
    test
  2. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

Probably layer them, side chain compress if it's distorting with the bass. all i can say, just mixing stuff. I'm not that great at it myself though
    test
  3. NonSenSE913

NonSenSE913 Active Member

Compression and layering of different drum sounds as well as eq'ing. If youre using software only then you have to remember that they use hardware to make their beats as well as expensive compressors and mixing boards.
    test
  4. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

the sounds, the arrangements, eq, and maybe even lack of compression. Ive found that 808s hit cleaner when not compressed much make sure to get rid of all of the frequencies that hit in the 808s area on the other instruments. A sold non 808 kick helps also.
    test
  5. Thrizzy

Thrizzy 3.T.

Probably sidechaining.

IDK man every single producer kit I've ever used sucked.

As for 808's man use that shit on Reason > Thor > Percussion > 808
    test
  6. MgTheFuture

MgTheFuture Music is my life

Well to my understanding, you're talking about the "perception" of the bass.

Try this.

Let your 808/kick hit the cieling of your mix...say -3db

Than don't have any other sound except your snare, up to -9db.

so you want ATLEAST 6db difference between the kick and the rest of the beat.

Now Lowcut/hi pass the instruments at around 125hz

Then hicut/low pass the 808 to like 1k

What this did is make room for the instruments and make room for the 808

but since the instruments are much lower than your kick..it feels as though it is "HITTING" harder.

Johnny Juliano and Vybz beats mixes look alot like this. Download some of them and open in Cool Edit if you dont beleive me.

Other than that, Harmonic processors, such as those in alloy or Ozone would help, if you add some saturation to your 808 to get it to stand out more.

Just focus on balances after that.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.