Thoughts on Rippetoe's Starting Strength?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by DahStoryTella, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DahStoryTella

DahStoryTella knowledge of self

I'm thinking of changing up my routine. I'm seeing nice improvements, but still. Anyways, my main concern is the squatting 3x a week in Rippetoe's Starting Strength . Is that dangerous? Haha.

The Starting Strength Novice/Beginner Programs - Starting Strength Wiki

I've been told you could substitute Power Cleans with Bent-over BB Rows, so I might think of that.
    test
  2. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

tbh i'd switch deadlifts to replace workout b's squats, and find a different exercise than deadlifts for workout a.

and bb rows are fantastic, i'd suggest the switch.

most people that have exercises are already in the place they need to be and can combine different workouts just for maintenance. don't always subscribe to their teachings.
    test
  3. DahStoryTella

DahStoryTella knowledge of self

Yeah, I haven't done BB rows in a while. Looking at what you'd do, I'm thinking this could work for Workout A?
    Squat
    Bench
    Cleans/Rows?

Workout B would be:
    Deadlift
    Press
    Cleans/Rows?

I'd also prefer not to ''Press'' (would rather do DB Incline press or DB Shoulder Press), but I don't wanna completely switch up the program.
    test
  4. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

well, an easy way to keep the program and kinda switch up the workout would be to do DB rows instead of BB rows on workout a or b. shoulder presses are good, i like heavy shoulder shrugs moreso though - but that's just my personal preference.

incline is good for chest and shoulders. if you don't like to press, then just substitute. do what's best for you cuz that's what it's about. you have a base, now modify for your goals.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.