This may be a bit premature to say, but...

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Jack Shitt, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Shitt

Jack Shitt Not "jackshit"

...I think Jon Jones might be the first Kobe or Lebron to hit MMA.

The way I see it, MMA didn't really start to flourish in the mainstream until 'The Ultimate Fighter' blew up roughly 5 years ago. I kinda see Bones as the first seriously gifted natural athlete to focus his efforts on pursuing MMA. The fact that he's got the perfect build for it is just the icing on the cake. That's not even taking into account his wrestling credentials.

Jones started training 3 years ago, which tells me that he wasn't interested in MMA until it was a household name, and his speedy rise to the top tells me he's a phenom (no vitor).

Whattaya think? Has UFC found their Roy Jones jr?
    test
  2. SprungyMC

SprungyMC Active Member

jones is the truth.
    test
  3. haatley

haatley Well-Known Member

i dont think so.
    there have been plenty before him.
    the kid has a lot to prove, guys like gsp and silva are still the "kobe and lebron".

so many unknowns when it comes to jones. what's gonna happen when he fights a huge wrestler and has to fight off his back? ya he stuffed bader, but there's bigger and stronger than him.

what's gonna happen when he gets a little older , grows into his frame some more and all of a sudden he can't make 205 anymore, so instead he's fighting guys like valasquez, carwin and lesnar?

i think he's an amazing talent, but i think people are getting ahead of themselves and over rating the kid.
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

what about gsp and/or silva?
    test
  5. haatley

haatley Well-Known Member

and before them, what about liddell, couture, hughes and fedor?
    test
  6. Jack Shitt

All those guys were great... but none were/are the Jordan of MMA. We just haven't seen that. What we did just see, however, was a 23 year old kid whose been training for 3 years absolutely destroy the best LHW in the game. Not even Anderson Silva has done something like that. He's had some impressive wins (and some not so impressive) but he's been part of the sport for years and years and years.

The thread title is "This may be a bit premature..." meaning I realize it might be too soon to make this claim, but so far, he's off to a better start than any fighter in MMA history.

Also to consider, this was the first time Shogun has been TKO'd (unless you count the leg break).
    test
  7. Makabreli

Makabreli done

nah, he's just a wrestler with a lot of inherited pros.

Kinda making MMA look like a joke if we want to be real about it.
    test
  8. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

exactly

hes our boy from home i can tell you right now he'd never been in a real 1on1 fight until he started training for mma 3-4yrs ago.. hes definitely a prodigy, his wrestling he worked at all his life, i think greco roman is the best type for mma and thats exactly what he did day and night now its paying off. he wasnt an mma fan until shortly before he started training, he went back an watched everything.
    test
  9. SiFu

SiFu Burning Down Babylon!

Its hilarious to me that you discredit Silva and GSp but have no good reasoning why they ARENT the Kobe/Lebron of MMA....

Your like 'not even Silva has done something like that' lmao...do what!?!? come out the gate a beast and run thru everybody and get a title shot that win and then retain the title for some very tough matches as well as remain undefeated at a weight class above the one your a champion in!?!?

I mean if becoming champ in 3 yrs is all it takes to be considered a 'Jordan' or something then Brock surely should be the one!?!? he became champ with 5 fights lol

Bones Jones is dope....but right now Silva and GSP are still the top dudes in UFC...

so yes....very premature

PEACE
    test
  10. Makabreli

Makabreli done

lmao jesus christ.

Just when I thought his win was bad enough for MMA.
    test
  11. SiFu

^^its not bad for MMA at all....

anyone with half a brain who follows it knows MMA is just good wrestling, some BJJ and MuayThai....case closed no other skills needed lol

PEACE
    test
  12. KRich662

KRich662 Well-Known Member

Have you never seen Anderson Silva fight?

Fuck outta here

(and lulz at Shogun being the best LHW in the game)
    test
  13. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

I want to see what happens when he can no longer make 205. I think he will have a lot of trouble. I think his success is due mainly to his genetic advantages more so than anything else. At heavyweight, he will still have some advantages, but not to the same extent as he does at 205. Should be interesting.
    test
  14. N A S T Y

N A S T Y Well-Known Member

Fedor was the first God of MMA
    test
  15. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

Don't know if I agree with this, but Jones is just so fucking long and his striking's improved so much he'll never have much trouble getting the clinch.

Greco definitely has a ton of uses but I think freestyle is more useful, especially if your striking isn't great.
    test
  16. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

Silva

and there have been a bunch of naturally gifted athletes, but must never focused on the ground game or worked to better their weaknesses. Melvin Gullard for one, although now he's really been working on his shit and gonna be champ at light weight as soon as he gets a title shot.

Shit crazy horse from back in the day was naturally gifted, just had no discipline lol
    test
  17. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

Krazy Horse is still around, he's called Kid Kaos now.

That fucker just didn't believe in the ground game.
    test
  18. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

aka all the main skills lmao @ thats it

hes saying its bad because they were just talking about the day of someone stepping in and dominating is over people are training their whole lives now. yeah his wrestling he has been, but his striking? hes being considered one of the best strikers right now and he just learned how 3yrs ago lmao shogun had been training muay thai long as jones probably wrestled and he had no answer..

to me though its not bad, its just a testament to the talent jones is
    test
  19. SiFu

lol main skills I know...but they arent really super diversed lol and the rules cater for these styles strengths etc etc but thats a different convo...

I agree...the whole 3yrs thing doesnt mean much except Jones is a natural....and being a natural and training>>>>training.....

the thing is tho...people will figure out his weakness over time like they have Silva, like they did Machida....then it will be a question of how he mixes it up and how he pushes his boundaries to be even better....

I think he's dope....I hope he does dominate......its just too early to tell at all....and he hasnt overtaken silva and gsp yet at all nowhere close

PEACE
    test
  20. Jack Shitt

This is kinda my whole point... we haven't seen that kind of "natural" in MMA up until now. I'll be the first to admit that Silva and GSP are currently 1 and 2 in the sport, but neither of them we're champion by 23, nor did they rocket up the rankings at nearly the same speed... they put in a LOT of work to get there. On top of that, both of them have taken L's to lesser opponents AND been put in compromising positions by lesser opponents.

Again, I realize that it's gonna take a few more big challenges to see just how great Bones truly is, but I think there's a really good chance that he's the real deal.

As much as I love Fedor, GSP and Silva, I just have a hard time likening their dominance to what a prime Roy Jones Jr. was to boxing.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.