This is what Joe Frazier said about MMA

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Radium, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radium

Radium f k

Joe Frazier: "Why would anyone pay to see 2 men roll around on the floor? That's how girls fight!"
    test
  2. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Someone post a gif of Ali and Frazier rolling on the studio floor clueless about what to do horizontally.
    test
  3. 1234gfret5

1234gfret5 Bitch Suck my 12 Inch

I'm so sick of this boxing vs mma shit. im gonna flip the script and act just as immature as most boxing fans from now on.

OMFG U DONT LIEK BOXING? UR A FUCKEN FAGGOT MANG< U MUST SUCK DICKS BECUZ MMA IS FOR FEGGOTS LOL IM COOL AND FUNNY
    test
  4. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

In all fairness, old school MMAers basically started it.
    test
  5. 1234gfret5

its a new age though.

americans have finally voted in an african american. (even though the only reason might be because the white redneck fucked our country into oblivion)

people should evolve over time, shit has changed sadly.. and now, boxing fans (who are mostly older people) are talking shit to mma fans (who are mostly younger)

it is sad to see 30-40 year old people talking shit to 20-30 year old people lol.

when it comes dwn to it i think it is jealousy.

mma fans use to talk shit on boxing because boxing was popular.

now no one gives a fuck about boxing because u can watch mma and see a hell of a lot more violence.

boxing fans are just jealous, period.

you can argue it all you want. i respect boxers just as much as i do mma fighters.. but boxing fans will always have that faggy swag where they cant admit certain mma fighers are awesome.
    test
  6. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

Allow me to interject if I may. I am a fan of both. I never classify myself as an MMA fan or Boxing fan, because I am really just a fight fan. After taking up boxing, I understand their criticisms now. The striking in MMA is usually sloppy. The form is usually terrible. That type of criticism from the boxing community is valid. I think when MMA guys talk about boxers just running away from each other and not fighting is also valid. Both sides have valid criticisms of each other it becomes fruitless when they begin criticizing things that don't matter like saying that the majority of mma fans are rednecks or that boxing is dead. At that point it just becomes a pissing match.
    test
  7. Radium

Radium f k

in fairness I think Joe was just saying this because its true that the stereotype is most girl fighting is grabbing and rolling around whereas what is seen as manly is to stand up like a man and fight with your fists.
    test
  8. double ML

double ML Guest

your average MMA fighter will fuck up your average boxer 99 of 100 times.
    test
  9. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

Joe has never been submitted haha... he's a lifelong boxer so u cant blame him for being close minded. I've come to terms with the fact that ground fighting looks funny to someone who doesn't understand it.

George Foreman said he wishes MMA were around when he was just learning how to box, he loves it and said he would have taken that route instead.
    test
  10. thaRooster

thaRooster hahahahahhaha NO!

The mma striking is not sloppy it is just different. In boxing you dont have to worry about being kicked, or taken down, therefor its 100% different. mma striking and boxing are 2 different things so it is unfair for a boxer to critique a mma fighters standup game
    test
  11. 1234gfret5

i might have to agree with this homosexual army cook for once.. fucking WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    test
  12. 1234gfret5

this is 100% true.
    test
  13. double ML

double ML Guest

i'm an extremely heterosexual intelligence analyst who has never been a cook.
    test
  14. 1234gfret5

no, u were a chef for the army lol. how was it baking cookies for rednecks with guns all day long?
    test
  15. double ML

double ML Guest

nope. never been a chef/cook/anything culinary related for the army.

and there's not many rednecks in the army percentage wise.

once again, you show how stupid/ignorant you are.
    test
  16. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Seems like we rarely agree on topics these days, but I agree with all of this.

Although I would add that looking at MMA purely from a boxing perspective is a little unfair. Bobbing and weaving can get you kicked and knee'd in MMA, and covering up doesn't work as well without the big gloves. I read that Freddie Roach said something like "I didn't even know they were allowed to throw knees" after the AA/Fedor fight.
    test
  17. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

Someone saying MMA striking is sloppy from a Boxing perspective is like a Golfer critiquing a Hockey players swing at the puck. Of course alot of MMA guys only know enough striking to get over, but thats overall a false comment.
    test
  18. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

All of those saying that the majority of MMA striking isn't sloppy and its just "different" have probably never sparred a striking art before, or only focus on the elite fighters. Sure, BJ and GSP aren't sloppy strikers but the vast majority of MMA fighters (read local shows and promotions) are extremely sloppy. Even in the UFC for every one fighter you can name that has good stand up I can name two that are sloppy.

For the guy that said head movement can't be used in MMA...lol. Well, I'm pretty sure Wanderlei wished he moved his head before he got caught by Rampage's left hook...lol. When boxing guys talk about head movement in MMA they are referencing moving your head and slipping after you throw a combination. There is no danger from kicks or knees at that moment. After you throw a flurry of punches, it is proper technique to move your head. The vast majority of MMA fighters do not do this. That is why when me and my boy watched that Silva/Rampage fight we couldn't believe how sloppy Silva was. We learned not to do what he did week 1 in boxing...so yeah, most MMA striking is sloppy and not just different.
    test
  19. Heat Devil

Heat Devil Macastopheles

1.) Nobody said head movement can't be used in MMA. There's a difference between head movement and bobbing and weaving. Watch Randy's movement in his last few fights, or even Fedor's. That's begging for a kick or knee.

2.) Many successful boxers have more than one hole in their game. Many are even sloppy. Ever watched Roy Jones?

3.) What you first attacked was form. This includes stance. Boxing stance leaves you open for kicks and takedowns. Muay Thai stance leaves you open for takedowns. So for MMA, you have to make adjustments, which compromises things. When you see a fighter with low hands, you might laugh because you've sparred a couple times and you're an expert all of a sudden, but that assists in stuffing takedowns. That's the thing about MMA people don't understand; there's no black and white, right or wrong. There's only the moment and the chaos of battle. You have a lot more to defend than other forms of combat.

4.) I laughed too when Rampage was clueless about what to do in the Muay Thai clinch. Or on his back against Forrest. Or grappling with Sakuraba. Or how to check Forrest's leg kicks (something I learned the first week of Muay Thai). ;)

5.) Sparring is different from fighting. Sure, you've learned some things in the couple months you've said you've been doing it, but in a couple of real fights you and your corner would be walking away saying "damn, I should've ___." It happens to everyone. That's why they make such a big deal about it when a fighter is so technically sound while fighting. It's not that they're the only one to learn or put in the work, just the ones that were able to apply it to real world situations. Wandy's learned better technique than what he uses, but along the way he found a niche that isn't working very well anymore. He's still relatively young and he moves well, so improving isn't out of the question. Anderson improved overnight late in his career.
    test
  20. Heat Devil

Heat Devil Macastopheles

ha, I cursed it.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.