This Is Amazing

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by reznick, Apr 22, 2011.

?

Technology?

Poll closed Feb 20, 2012.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Robots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reznick

reznick New Member

Next Step in Social Gaming?

[youtube]Q_8rrcsYK4k[/youtube]

I like the idea, but the actual game doesn't look to appealing

But this idea of real life social gaming could come together real nice in a year or two
    test
  2. reznick

reznick New Member

Pulse App

Thank god I found this. If you guys aren't using Pulse from the appstore, which is free, your sleepin hard.

All your favorite sources/news sites in one simple organized app. Perfect.

I got all my tech, Chicago news, and World news all together. Lovin it.

Singularity Hub is featured as a new source!

edit: Oh snap, you can also add rapmusic.com
    test
  3. reznick

reznick New Member

Visual.ly

is fuckin awesome

visual.ly is the domain name

Theres more information documented in the past decade or so than in the rest of human history put together.

These guys have created a new visually pleasing way of presenting data.

Heres a few dope ones:

http://visually.visually.netdna-cdn.com/TeamsThatStayTogetherWinTogether_4e1e439b98bd7.png
    http://visually.visually.netdna-cdn.com/TheInternetin2015_4e0893a777c9c.jpg
    http://visually.visually.netdna-cdn...wninfographicdailystatistic_4dd131d613244.jpg
    (Images are too large to embed)

Theres all sorts of categories between politics, education, tech, etc.

Post some good ones you find
    test
  4. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

omg someone just found out what an infograph is
    test
  5. reznick

reznick New Member

these are the best of the best
    test
  6. reznick

reznick New Member

Robots for Humanity

I'm trying to post as little tech related stuff as possible, but this I think you guys will agree is pretty cool.
    test
  7. reznick

reznick New Member

Jetpack Fail

:funny:
    test
  8. drewthetruth

drewthetruth ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

test
  9. drewthetruth

drewthetruth ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

test
  10. reznick

reznick New Member

This came out of a printer

[​IMG]

"It’s no slouch of a UAV either. SULSA boasts a 6.5-foot wingspan, a top speed of about 100 miles per hour, and is nearly silent while cruising. Created on an EOS EOSINT P730 nylon laser sintering machine, its wings, hatches, control surfaces--basically everything that makes up its structure and aerodynamic controls--was custom printed to snap together. It requires no fasteners and no tools to assemble."

Only part that wasn't printed was the electric motor

http://www.popsci.com/technology/ar...fly-worlds-first-working-3-d-printed-aircraft
    test
  11. Snapppp

Snapppp hehe...Member

yeah rap-id prototyping/manufacturing and 3D printing is dope shit, in the next few years i would expeect alot more things to be made in this manner due to the fact theres minimal waste material. since the objects are being built up bit by bit rather than cut away bit by bit [see milling machines] only the right amount of material needed is used, which is obviously advantageous.
    also theres the fact that you can make awkward shapes out of one solid piece of material to such high precision that, like this aeroplane, you wouldnt need tools to fix the pieces together, you could design something so that all the components simply snappp into place which cuts down manufacture time.

the only real problem with it is the cost to make things that way, and the time it takes to make something by building it up layer by layer.

tbh though, i half expected this thread to be about bioprinting, since your always talking about living forever, and the fact that in the past few years theres been a few breakthroughs regarding creating working muscle tissues, heartvalves and other shit by printing layer upon layer of certain growth cells in certain ways...
    test
  12. reznick

reznick New Member

No doubt Snappp, I think your right on the money with the advantages and disadvantages. If I had big money in the market now id invest in the Makerbot company because of how fast this tech is growing and improving.

Bio printing is also incredible. I have been talking about synthetic and artificial working body parts for a long time but people here don't seem very interested. I thought an airplane coming from a printer would garner more attention. The medical field in 10 years from now will be vastly different than the way it is now. The next question: could synthetic body parts stop aging? Some experts are speculating that if we keep changing and fixing our bodies we will not die, the same way a car will not die with proper maintenance.

But yea, home 3d printers in a couple decades will be printing out your clothes, basic items, food, etc. It's going to be a huge market changer.

I think in 10 years 50% of the forum users here will have their personal 3d printer at home.

Sent from my iPhone 9 in 2024
    test
  13. Snapppp

Snapppp hehe...Member

Yeah in a few decades i could imagine most people will have one of these, or there'll be companies that own the machines in every town and city that we can rent to use or something. if everyone had a printer that can make everything for us then the majority of the economy would probably fuck up...

I think that as well as using it for the general manufacturing process, the 3D printing could also be used to make a replacement part in an everyday machine, that would otherwise be unavailable.
    for example say a part of your vacuum cleaner breaks internally, preventing you from using it. nowadays you would have to get the company to send the replacement part to you, but since manufacturers usually only create enough parts for a certain amount of machines, you would probably just have to buy a new vacuum.
    with this technology you could just download the 3D image of the part thats broken from the companies website or something and then use the printer to make the part for you...pretty lame example but you get the idea.

and yeah when it comes to all that medical stuff shits definately gonna get crazy over the next few years...i'll admit i'm a bit sceptical as to whether we'll be able to go for tune ups and shit like cars, but life span will definately increase with the introduction of such technologies.
    I think that this bioprinting is more realistically going to be introduced rather than synthetic "machines" though...like i saw a talk on TED the other week where they made a kidney through bioprinting growth cells and it worked. I would trust that kidney over a synthetic one any day...or would that kidney be classed as synthetic?
    test
  14. reznick

reznick New Member

No doubt, and to some extent, people are already using it for such purposes. The extent of what you can do with it is very minimal, but I remember hearing about a guy with a makerbot whose shower curtain rings ripped off his shower. And he just churned a few of em out using the makerbot, and his problem was fixed. But yea, its still really early, and theres not very much you could do with it.

And yes I think i've seen that Tedtalk, but there are several regarding synthetic/artificial body parts. Can you link me to the one you watched if you still have the link? Yup, all artificial body parts are considered synthetic. I think it involves printing as well as stem cells depending on the particular project/part. These advancements are improving really really fast, its kind of hard to believe what is happening.
    test
  15. Snapppp

Snapppp hehe...Member

click link
    test
  16. reznick

reznick New Member

thanks never seen this one, watching now

...wow at 1954 being the first organ transplant. Only 60 years ago...wow
    test
  17. Bleach...

Bleach... Put me in your markers...

I can't really imagine 3d printers becoming common household technology... I mean they're not particularly useful beyond a few specific professions. Even today how many households own a colour laser printer? And how many own one that prints anything beyond a4? I can imagine 3d printing becoming a lot more widespread, but I imagine it would reach a level similar to that of larger format printing, like a1/0 plotters at officeworks and other printing places. Also becoming common in larger offices that would utilise the technology relatively often.
    test
  18. reznick

reznick New Member

Well the logic here is that by the time it happens, the capabilities will surpass just the mundane plastic objects. It will include printing meats, fabrics, and all types of other stuff.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.