This Is Amazing

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by reznick, Apr 22, 2011.

?

Technology?

Poll closed Feb 20, 2012.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Robots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

test
  2. reznick

reznick New Member

If you knew you were going to inherit a farm in a few years, wouldn't you spend some time preparing how to operate it?

I decided a while ago that I'm staying on top of tech for the rest of my life, because while people scratch their heads 20 years from now saying "omg...this is happening fast," my mind will be in a more productive place. Whether that will end up being a substantial difference in anything I do, maybe not, but taking that chance is very worth it to me. It's fun to follow as well.

Damn that Grey goo shit sounds bad.

This is a bit in the deep end, but I was thinking not long ago: what if our (societies) deposition to these end of the world scenarios and technology, is what innately keeps us in control of it? Like, maybe we naturally think this way, because when the time comes to have these powers in our hands, we don't run wild with it like a bunch of idiots, but rather appreciate the fragility of having those technologies.

Who knows.

The way I see it, we have enough Nukes on Earth destroy humanity already. If we have the capabilities now, in it lies in the hands of powerful military leaders, I am honestly not too afraid of anything in the future. We already live on the brink of destructions, just buttons away.
    test
  3. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

I agree with this sentiment 100%. To think otherwise is foolish. Of course it is our awareness that keeps us in touch with our capabilities.
    test
  4. reznick

reznick New Member

Tornado!!!

AHHHHHH!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 9 in 2024
    test
  5. Red Beam Da Kid

Red Beam Da Kid Well-Known Member

test
  6. bobbaforce

bobbaforce I don't give a nada

test
  7. reznick

reznick New Member

Losing power fucking sucks. I was tweakin last night. Like wtf I'm supposed to light candles n read books? Fuck outa here!

Sent from my iPhone 9 in 2024
    test
  8. Eyerate

Eyerate The Definition of Real..

one of the homies got a tree through the roof..

[​IMG]

thankfully, i only lost power for all of 2 minutes.. although i was prepped and ready to rock in the event of a long service interruption. i shoulda took pics. i had the gene, lights out the ass, etc.
    test
  9. serge dot T

serge dot T Shotgun Serge

A fucking tree? Seriously?
    test
  10. drewthetruth

drewthetruth ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

lmfaooooooo dead @ tree thru the roof

make sure you stock up on food/water and withdraw cash

hurricane season baby u never kno what gon happen
    test
  11. Eyerate

Eyerate The Definition of Real..

yea man.. we had gale force winds topping 85MPH. trees smashed cars n shit. actually that was my biggest worry because i basically live in the woods. thankfully the muder wagon was unscathed.
    test
  12. Red Beam Da Kid

Red Beam Da Kid Well-Known Member

wind carries tree thru houses during bad storms all the time u must stay in alaska
    test
  13. reznick

reznick New Member

holy fuck @ tree through the fuckin roof

daaaaamn, and it was long enough to crush somebody
    test
  14. reznick

reznick New Member

Google Translations!

So you can go to China, with 0 knowledge of the Chinese language, and have a conversation with someone in Chinese.

Translators: Time to start looking for a new job, because this is only the beginning.

Web Version:

Google Translate
    test
  15. Met-A-Forikal

Met-A-Forikal Time, cunt!

I've been using Google translate for the past year or so. That's how I've been communicating with some of my European pals.
    test
  16. reznick

reznick New Member

test
  17. reznick

reznick New Member

Is it efficient would you say?

Did you use the phone version?
    test
  18. TsirhCitna

TsirhCitna New Member

not really effective for various reasons and never will be. maybe you can talk to someone in china with broken, awkward mandarin or whatever, but it'll never match up to having knowledge of grammatical rules, slang, contracted words and so forth.
    test
  19. reznick

reznick New Member

Yea those are huge obstacles, however I do agree with Kurzweil on this one, that by 2029 computers will have human level translating abilities.

Which he admits, is still not perfect, because it is human level, and there are words in different languages that have different meaning and cultural style to them.

I don't know how long until it becomes perfect, my guess is around 3 decades from now.
    test
  20. Met-A-Forikal

Met-A-Forikal Time, cunt!

Efficient enough. Does a pretty good job. No, haven't used the phone version. May not overtake human translator because of little nuances like emotion and context and all that other good shit.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.