This Is Amazing

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by reznick, Apr 22, 2011.

?

Technology?

Poll closed Feb 20, 2012.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Robots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reznick

reznick New Member

So will you refuse all new medicines, and technological breakthroughs in medicine invented from this day forth?
    test
  2. reznick

reznick New Member

We need nano technology to go to Mars?

What does manipulation of atoms have to do with that?

And fuck a flyin car, I want one that drives itself!

[youtube]bp9KBrH8H04[/youtube]
    test
  3. reznick

reznick New Member

aging is a disease

its your cells dividing until your dead

science can fix that
    test
  4. MattPORTLAND

MattPORTLAND Well-Known Member

Yeah Reznick, that's what I said. Think I'll just avoid the bottles with the "may make you live forever" warning.
    test
  5. reznick

reznick New Member

What if you have deadly lung cancer. And they the ability to make you a brand new lung. You wouldnt take it?

They can already create a lung, and surgically insert it into a lab rat.
    test
  6. Drones

Drones Active Member

this. with the quickness.

deep ecology >
    test
  7. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

yea but this kind of immortality also wouldnt save you if you got shot in the face...or would it?

this + something like surrogates where you're physically removed from danger would be CRAZY
    test
  8. Drones

Drones Active Member

yer gonna die, reznick.
    test
  9. reznick

reznick New Member

exactly....

IMO there will be solutions for that, but I dont wanna jump there in this thread...
    test
  10. reznick

reznick New Member

nope :)
    test
  11. mapleleaf

its all complicated and part of the concept of singularity imo.

like...so once people can become immortal, we will have an infinite AND exponential growth rate. the laws of population dynamics state that at some point the growth HAS to stop. exponential growth rate simply cannot go on forever. do we not have any more kids? are we only allowed to procreate once we've set up ourselves with a death date? until we leave this planet, or find a practical and effective way to deal with the current population problems, i dont even want to think about us adding even a decade to our lifespans

scary- they say the first human to benefit from 'immortal' technology may possibly have already been born, meaning we are very close
    test
  12. MattPORTLAND

MattPORTLAND Well-Known Member

In that case I would probably take the lung. I understand the technology, my sister has a gastric tube and her best friend has an artificial esophagus, both of their lives, mobility, speech, etc. are entirely thanks to modern medicine/technology. There's just a difference between trying to stop premature deaths/creating a normal life and trying to prevent dying entirely.

Do you realize the implications immortality would have on accidental deaths, war, murder, terrorism etc.? Pretty sure regardless of medicine if you get shot in the head you'll die, if you get nuked you'll die, if you get hit by a bus you'll die, etc. It will just make death incredibly more tragic. Think of the power a bomb threat would have if the people killed by it would live forever otherwise? And regardless of the technology we have to prolong life I think our destructive capabilities will make it pale in comparison. And even if the world turns into pacifists at the realization of this technology what then? Fly through space and explore rocks? Chill on earth and twiddle our thumbs for the duration of eternity?

I really could give a fuck about living in some sci-fi authors wet dream.
    test
  13. reznick

reznick New Member

actually exponential growth is not certain

the meaning of the technological singularity is that we simply do not know what will happen past that point (2045 according to Kurzweil)

exponential growth may or may not continue to happen. It's hard to imagine what will happen. Because if we simply put a 'halt' on the technology, some mofo out there will continue to build and improve on the technology, thus creating a big problem. The only answer would be to keep technological growth opensource for everyone. And there are definitely many many dangers in the future of technology which is scary. They have an institute in California studying the implications.

but in my opinion I do think growth has to stop growing exponentially. When? I dont know, but I dont think it's in the foreseeable future.
    test
  14. Mr Pumper

Mr Pumper omg

Immortality would be dope, as long as I stay looking the same way I am now.

hunnid bitches

awww damn
    test
  15. reznick

reznick New Member

Nobody knows what the implications could mean.

It will not be an overnight thing, there will be thousands of steps until we get to that point. And during that time we will have to ask ourselves if we are doing the right thing. I believe we are. I mean, technology has always had the ability to harm or help since the beginning of it. Fire can keep you warm or can burn you.

And to accept this technology growth you have to also open your mind to a new world. In 30 years they will probably be able to re engineer the brain. If someone could 'copy' your brain, and apply it on an embryo or however it would work, would that be you? These are questions we will have to deal with. Technology is undeniably reaching that point very very soon.

And yea flying through space to explore does sound pretty inciting.

As for population concerns, what if we could colonize mars? We will have the information on exactly how to do that shorty after we reach singularity.

And I also see a lot less people having babies once they will have all these artificial substitutes for having sex and a baby. In fact, my theory is that having a baby, and having sex will be two entirely separate and disconnected events.
    test
  16. mapleleaf

god damn. this gets 5 alien thumbs up.

i have always thought this about technology- love it, thankful for it, in fact dont think i could live without it. BUT it seems like people are a bit too progressive with it sometimes. Like, advancement after advancement as fast as they can, like there is some kind of end of the road? these kinds of technology, imo will either entirely unite us as humans or completely divide us... i would rather have it be somewhere in the middle.
    test
  17. Sloss Littlez

Sloss Littlez KING SLOSS THE BOSS NIGGA

I think we're just being held back to be honest.

Where does murder fit in all this?

Surely, me bashing ur brains in could truly put an end to you....

or is the soul just gonna wait til the body gets "put back together"

if anything this will just put an end to any disease/illness, but not murder or any accident.

-EDIT- had the page open before matt's post. but he is spot on
    test
  18. reznick

reznick New Member

Its a scary thought, but I trust humans beings. And I believe there will always be order.

If you told people from 1700 that everyone would one day have a car, they would instantly think mayhem and destruction. They would think that everyone would have the power to just run someone over, or break down buildings, rob people and get away. These are all true statements, arent they? However those people would have never imagined the order in which the technology would be available and used. And in the end, you have to ask yourself. Are car accidents, one of the top leading causes of deaths, worth getting to a place 20 times faster? Well...I sure dont see anyone handing their keys over.

As for the end of the road, its a very interesting thought. But I feel there is still an incredible amount to explore. I mean, space is not infinite. At least thats what the common understanding amongst astronomers is. So whats at the edge? I want to know these things. And everything we discover just opens up more and more questions. There is so much out there to discover and learn. If theres an end of the road, I cant imagine the world we will be living in when we reach it.

I think it will unite us as human beings. Th internet has united us in a history changing way. In a thread we see BitMaffaka posing in a picture in a foreign country as an imitation of Gasp, from an entirely different country. And we take simple things like that for granted, when decades ago this was unimaginable. In the 70's and 80's people thought networking like this would occur, but not for more than a hundred years. Kurzweil predicted it would happen the very year that it did, and people were calling him crazy. And hes not a prophet, he just uses the exponential growth pattern.

I think you guys really should see the Transcendent Man documentary posted here by Knowledge I think. He answers questions and concerns a lot more serious than some of the ones you guys have brought up. even if you think the whole thing is a joke, I suggest you watch it.
    test
  19. MorgzyV8

MorgzyV8 JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

Hells yeah!!!
    But I think that's what Sifu was saying...there needs to be major jumps in technology before anyone goes to mars...there's no reason for it yet. We havent been back to the moon for a reason...there are zero resources for us to pillage there. Same with mars as far as we know now.
    test
  20. reznick

reznick New Member

Actually there is speculation of the possibility of moon rock being able to be used to create energy

How moon rocks could power the future - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience - msnbc.com
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.