Thinking you look small in the mirror?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by XxLiLBuRnAxX, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

lol I googled this tryna find the name of the syndrome where weightlifters and bodybuilders think they look "small" no matter what they do....I got like 3 pages full of "Think your penis is little?" lol......wow I didnt know THAT was such a huge issue with men...

But thats not what I was talking about.....I know a lot of people who look at themselves (including me) and don't see what everyone else see's. I know Im bigger than I ever was cuz most of my boxers turned into boxer briefs recently cuz my legs are getting huge....In pictures I look huge even to myself...I saw a pic my family took of me a few weeks ago and I was like holy shit....but when I look in the mirror I dont "look" like that. Most people think I play fullback when they see my pictures (they dont realize im short as hell lol). Everyone else sees it but me...I mean I know Im not small but I dont see myself as as big as everyone else does..like I look in the mirror and Im like yeah Im gettin bigger...but take a pic of me and show it to me and i look a hell of a lot bigger than I did when I looked in the mirror...and Im guessing the picture is the way I look to everyone else and the mirror is how I look to myself...its weird....Im not really complaining it was just kinda weird to see myself in a picture and "see" what I really look like for the first time..
    test
  2. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

Bigorexia...word at the picture thing.
    test
  3. MiSt_Of_CoNfUsIoN

MiSt_Of_CoNfUsIoN Ray of Sunshine

FYI: The same thing goes for when you lose a lot of weight.. It took me a long time to see what other people saw. To me I was still the same size I was (or at least close to it) when in reality I looked much different. Sounds dumb but sometimes I still see pictures like " oh.. thats..me?"

lol@ Think your penis is little.. hmmm, makes you wonder, huh?
    test
  4. ThisMiss

ThisMiss Guest

People tell me I have body dysmorphia...but I don't really even know what it is [dunno]
    test
  5. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

lol theres a thread about this on another site right now. ill just paste what i wrote there

ok yea, these people want to be bigger but theres a huge difference between wanting to get bigger and thinking youre not big or not good enough. ok if youre 5'10 230lbs and you think youre "small" in any context of the word you may need a reality check. now if you can assert yourself and say yea i know im a big, im the biggest guy at the gym, etc but you still want to get bigger than thats just a choice.

what if someone has 90 billion dollars and you ask do you think youre rich? and they say, yeah but i want to get richer. would you say that person has money-rexia or would just say the guy likes to make money?

ill also add that your case is different. most of us see ourselves daily, hell i look at myself everytime i walk by ANYTHING that shows my reflection. seeing yourself that much kind of talks away the...im going to say "value" of what it is. especially if its from the same depth and angle. i mean you know how you dont have something forever like a food then go back and try it and its so different? you just get used to things, sights, sounds, tastes, feelings, it becomes the norm.

reality is though youre probaly looking different all the time and like you Burna, all i need for reassurance is the tightening of my sleeves and my boxers tearing when i tie my shoes. the compliments and stares of everybody on a daily basis helps too.
    test
  6. XxLiLBuRnAxX

ok so Im not on the only one who looks at himself in the reflection of everybodys car windows when I walk through the parking lot! Yes! I always thought I was weird lol
    Plus it doesnt help that the entire west wall of my downstairs is mirrors lol everytime I go downstairs I look at myself...

Maybe part of it has to do with the fact that I was at the other gym during the summer and I wasnt one of the big guys anymore....I was actually one of the little guys...
    At the school gym Im well known and bigger/bulkier than most and Im one of the big guys there...

Its just funny and weird....like Ill be at the gym and I see alotta ppl around my height and they look bigger than me and I be tellin ppl in there that I wanna be that guys size or that guys size....and theyre like dawg you are bigger than he is lol, Last semester I worked out with this guy i met about my size and one day I told him like man you gettin big Im tryna be your size...we went in the locker room and weighed up and I weighed a good bit more than him....its all psychological....
    test
  7. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

it totally depends on the mirror im looking in. i think it has to do with the lighting. sometimes im extremely happy, sometimes im extremely dissapointed. i think i do have a bit of this bigorexia syndrome. i definitely don't think i look as good as everyone says i do
    test
  8. LiveFromThe781

ben you have to big and want to get bigger to have bigorexia.
    test
  9. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

im 6'2"...so id have to get up to 240-250 and want to be bigger before i could say i have a problem...but i dont
    test
  10. XxLiLBuRnAxX

but what constitutes "big"? I'm "big" to normal people but small because of my height to many of yall...so i mean when dealing with this disease its hard to determine who has it or not if going by size and desire
    test
  11. Ben Official

um.. no.

bigorexia is the opposite of anorexia. bigorexia is thinking you look smaller than you are. you dont have to be huge to have it.
    test
  12. LiveFromThe781

the opposite of anorexia is binge eating. have you heard of fantasy feeders? theyre the opposite of anorexics and every bit as disguisting and mentally warped.

bigorexia is when you want to be bigger and bigger and refuse to believe youre big in any way. its when you start shooting synthol into your pecs and arms (think greg valentino) its when feel bad about your body all the time until you hit some level that doesnt exist and cant be achieved. its extremely rare and isnt as simple as saying..oh i dont think im that big.

you DO have to be huge to have it.

"Bigorexia" a mental disorder characterized by a normal person's obsession with an imagined defect in physical appearance; also called [muscle dysmorphia

you compete at a weight class ben, youre like 150lbs. there is no way in hell you have bigorexia.
    test
  13. Ben Official

actually that is true. From what I read before about bigorexia, I read it as being the same thing as muscle dysmorphia and i stopped reading. now i feel dumb. but i do think i have a bit of muscle dysmorphia.
    test
  14. LiveFromThe781

if you have low self-esteem about your body it isnt the same thing. im not even trying to pick on you or whatever but ben youre not big. there isnt a lot of muscle you slab on to a 150lb body. if you were 5'8 230 lbs, shredded and you felt you "werent big enough" or your body wasnt "good enough" ...not in the competitive sense, but in the sense that its just not good enough for anyone, then you may be a candidate for muscle dysmorphia.
    test
  15. Ben Official

you can be 90 pounds and still have muscle dysmorphia. i do not have low self esteem about my body. there are some times when i will look in a mirror and be like "your chest looks weak as hell today", or "i can barely see my abs today" yet i will receive a compliment on how shredded i look from someone in the gym. when i was just shy of 170, i was a lot bigger. since i cut down at times i think i look too small, but people tell me that this is a perfect weight for me and that i do not look small. muscle dysmorphia is not the same as bigorexia, although they are related.
    test
  16. LiveFromThe781

.......are you serious? so apparently every girl on the planet has bigorexia if they say, "i have no tits", "i have no ass", "my hair looks like shit", "omg she has the same dress wtf"
    test
  17. XxLiLBuRnAxX

actually the terms bigorexia and muscle dysmorphia are used synonymously....
    test
  18. Ben Official

i have heard muscle dysmorphia used as another phrase for body dysmorphia, and i have heard bigorexia being called a form of muscle dysmorphia, used as muscle dysmorphia, and as a totally different thing as muscle dysmorphia.

anyways, yes, sometimes i look at myself and do not see what everyone else sees, but its probably because i've always been hard on myself. maybe its dysmorphia, sometimes i think it is, sometimes i think im just a perfectionist.
    test
  19. LiveFromThe781

thats definately a more plausible theory. but honestly people are impressed by anything. after working out for like 3 months i was at a Store 24 and i scratch my head and some random kid is like yooooo what did you do for your arms? im like uhhh curl dumb bells?

then im walking through stop and shop parking lot and some toddler kid is like muscle maaaaan. i weighed around 170lbs at the time @6ft and i was still lifting at home with subpar equipment. ...yea people are easily impressed, especially in the most obese society on earth.
    test
  20. rocker314

rocker314 Rock Star

sometimes it's all in the mind.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.