Thinking of Buying a Used M3 Possibly M5, Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by Ben Official, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

I've been researching the M3's and 5's for a little bit, thinking I'm going to buy one in a few months. I've been browsing at a few on autotrader from a 95 to 2001. Price ranging from 16-29k. Ideal price somewhere in the high teens to low 20's, but possibly up to 29. Some of the ones I'm lookin at have like 40,000 somethin miles, some have around high 70s.

I was also considering the Audi S4 but the turbo would be horrible for insurance and the Beamer is just so much sexier.

I also live in Wisconsin which is shitty snowy weather in the winter, and I'm not sure how good the BMW's RWD will hold up.

Like I said price range is high teens to low twenties preferably

If I splurge n buy the M5 I might be able to go as high as 29 but not sure.

What do yall think?

Any other cars better for the price?
    test
  2. I say get the M3 if anything.

but, if you don't have a large bankroll after you drop that cash on the purchase, matinence is gonna be a bastard. When it breaks down, the parts and labor are gonna be hella expensive. As far as traction during the winter, a lot of people drive them in berkshire county (western MA), and I have never once seen one slide off the road, or on the side of the road getting towed away.
    test
  3. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

IF you get the M3 or M5 for Wisconsin..it better be a summer only car. Cause unless you have enough experience you are going to end up crashing your baby and be pissed off after it is all said and done. Matter of fact, no need to even get a RWD in a snowy area like Wisc.

Better look for AWD atleast you can have the ability to drive in the snow. Time to think logical... and the logical answer is the S4.

Now for the other shit. Are you go with cars? Are you good with rebuilding, replacing, or atleast capable of modifying a car? If not the cars you are looking for are absolutely the worst possible cars for you. The 96 M3 which is probably the most affordable in your range is the worst E36 M3 they made. The 97-98 are by far better made and the reason they cost more besides the year of the car, is because they are much quicker cars.

As for insurance, you talk about the "turbo's in the S4" being an insurance problem...lol. You want a M5 which is a V8 car that does 0-60 in 4.9. M3's and M5's are some of the most expensive cars to insure under 90G price range. Unless you are over 25, these cars will be expensive to insure. The S4 would by far be the cheapest of the three.

The M5... I guess you want a e39.. or maybe a e34... I think the e34 is affordable for your price range. Most E39 M5's (the ones with the angel eyes) are pretty damn expensive used or not, and by far the best M5's they have ever built.

Pros and Cons of all 3 cars:

All that shit being said, I have driven almost every model M3 since 89 till now. Can't wait on the new E90 version. Same goes for the M5, and driven the S4. The best car by far is the e39 M5 and then the M3 then the S4, in terms of fun to drive. They all have their benefits and disadvantages.

M3 and M5 strive on their great driving experience.
    RWD is great, no substitute for it.
    Interiors are nice in the M3's and outstanding in the M5.
    S4's have AWD, the best AWD in any car bare none.
    S4's are fun with Bi-turbo V6 engine, but not as fast as the M5, but quicker than the E36 M3.
    S4's have great interiors, Audi is the best in terms of that.
    All 3 cars have great fit and finish.

Now for the Cons:
    M3 & M5's in the snow...lol.. if you feel like taking that chance it is fine. I have done it my share of times, but I don't recommend it. It is fun when you know the limits of the car, but if you don't you are just going to end up with an expensive paper weight.
    M3's and M5 are expensive to insure, more so than the S4(although still not cheap.)
    All cars are prone to electrical problems, none more so than the S4.
    96 E36 M3 had some mechanical problems as well.

Bottom line the best car of the three: Easy M5

The Best car for the money : E36 M3

The best car for all around driving: S4

Since you are looking, take that into consideration... I think the S4 would be great for you geographical location... If you lived in my area or anywhere down south... it would be an easy decision, and I would choose a low mileage 98 or 99 M3.
    test
  4. Ben Official

Damn, I wish you got on AIM more, cuz I need to talk to you about that shit.

A lot of useful info there, I know you know what your talkin about

I'm thinking maybe...MAYBE I will keep my 99 Galant to use in the winter.

Thats if I can get the loan for the little extra I would have to pay by not selling that shit.

If you can get on IM sometime and discuss this shit with me I would appreciate it hella

The insurance part sucks, I didn't think it would be that much.

And I am just SOOOOOOOOO in love with the m3 and m5 (Im thinking realistically m3 is much more affordable)

I mean its just so god damn sexy. By far my favorite car in terms of looks. I have never owned a fast car, I've never even driven stick but theres no way I'm going to buy an automatic if I get one of these cars. I would just get clowned way too much haha.

Do you know of any websites where I can just browse and see the cost of insurance for the M3 compared to something like a Galant?

I went to progressive and everytying but its hard to get an exact quote because I am still under my parents for car insurance, and am only 20, so I dont plan to get my own insurance plan as it is, I just want to find out the difference between what I have right now and what I would have to pay in addition if I got the car.

The S4 is nice but I just dont like the look of it like I do the BMW's. It doesnt stand out and theres just something about the M3 that I cant stop druiling over.

Also, no, I don't know how to take the engine apart, how to put on upgrades, I really don't know shit when it comes to shit like that, I usually just have the mechanic do all the work.

I really like nothing more than the M3 (Except the M5 but that looks so much more expensive) and I think an M3 will be good enough.

But yea, I have almost no fast car experience, and havent driven a RWD in the winter to know what its like.

I would think if I got some real nice Blizzacks like I have now it wouldnt be too horrible, but on second thought I am an idiot.

Basically, I really need to find out all the info I can about financing and have been stuck because I don't know how to do it.

I am taking next year (or at least semester) off of college to save money and shit, and I plan on buying the car sometime possibly during the summer, so I still have plenty of time to research.
    test
  5. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

I will try to be on tonight or maybe sometime this week.

Sedans are less-costly to insure than coupes, but insurance companies use a ratio of weight to horse-power to determine the "sportiness" of a car. An M series, sedan or coupe, will boost your insurance for being a "sports car".

If you'd like to avoid the extra insurance, you could always buy a regular BMW and then make some mods to it. Also, the car color and airbags play a big part. Age definitely does, and since you are under your parents coverage, you shouldn’t have it that bad. And since you are 20 you have 3 more years till you are dropped off of their coverage. Then you have to think what are you going to do then. Be smart in that sense to think if you are going to keep this car, be prepared for the insurance spike for you in the next 2 to 3 yrs when you are on your own coverage.

As for websites... hmm I think Insure.com might help. I think tomorrow I probably could get an avg quote for these 3 cars, if I can remember to do so.

M3’s are great, the E36 is a great car, hell I had my eye on one, and still have my eye on a Black w/red interior E46… but I don’t take this wrong but I have a really good understanding on these cars in terms of mechanical, electrical and so forth. I can help you out in terms of these cars, cause there is no reason for you to not enjoy your purchase.

There is more to this but I am rushing to get somewhere.

True blizzacks work well… but even so some experience is need to drive the car in snow. I think the car can be driven in snow as 108 said, he has seen it, as I have, and I have seen them in ditches as well. All depends on experience level. Since you don’t have any with performance cars and rwd… and manuals… then you have to understand my position in saying you might want to look else where. But besides that, it is hard to say look somewhere else cause the E36 M3 is an extremely fun car to drive.
    test
  6. Ben Official

yea, thanks, again a lot of good info

i have been researching intensly the past couple days and its looking better and better

i am almost certainly getting the e36 m3 over the other 2 cars

i asked another guy my age who lives in the same place, and his insurance was really not bad at all. im sure mine would be a little worse with one accident and a ticket a few years back.

i figure ill be spending about 19-23k on it after thinking about it more

ill have 10,000 and if i sell my galant i can get maybe 3500-4000, plus a couple more thousand i will have had so i will need like a $7000 loan.

right now im in my 2nd year of college and am taking next year off

hopefully my mom will let me live with her for free assuming i help her with stuff around the house

i made $10 an hour, ill be working about 40 hours a week mostly tax free (government paid job) so like 1500 a month, i think i can pull off a 7000 loan in that year hopefully

ill keep looking into it and ill be staying online for when you get on

thanks a lot
    test
  7. kaveh

kaveh New Member

M3

my boy is gettin one this summer,
    so if your lookin for more of a racing type car, I'd go with the M3
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.