There is a god.

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Dex Uchiha, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

Tis a degree.

More like a green belt.

Brown and black are in the works.

Probably stop at brown and go to another discipline though.

Sweet analogy, btw.
    test
  2. Radium

Radium f k

ok swag its good to know that people like you are ultimatexly the ones that get to make decisions about what kind of brains people should have and shouldnt have then
    test
  3. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Thats not a sword

€€€€€€€{>¦>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>¦>>¦¦¦>¦>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:S:S:S:S
    :this is a sword
    :fail:
    test
  4. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

maybe you have access to evidence that we do not. everything i can find on the topic seems to suggest there's an ongoing scientific debate about what the exact causes are.

when have i implied that i 'know whats wrong with someone's brain' or that the only cause of mood swings is a chemical imbalance? we're talking about bi-polar disorder and how we should label it, the only assumption i am making is that the disorder actually exists (which is based on evidence, even if the supposed causes are not 100% proven). you seem to be assuming that the disorder does not exist and is actually no different from immaturity, which is an equally presumptuous claim with much less evidence to back it up.

i thought you weren't supposed to make concrete conclusions from a vague premise...
    test
  5. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

There is.

The worst thing a scientist (or student) can say is "stop debating this because the evidence is in!" In almost every subject, but especially the social sciences, there's ongoing debate.
    test
  6. TheBigPayback

Wanna know why theres ongoing debate on scientific topics?
    Because sciences head authority is man, there will always be desenting opinion there no matter how sound the science. Correction** Unless however they were to all fall under a certain authority like they did einstein. IF an authoritative enough figure were to emerge with a concrete solid science of everything deffinatively...i could say its possible to have agreement under those circumstances.
    test
  7. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

Wow, it takes some strong weed to get to posting something like this.

Sorry, but pseudo philosophy does not warrant the thread title "there is a god" because such a statement is far too definitive to be put into the hands of your flimsy psycho babble.

I am dissapoint.
    test
  8. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

God damn it I just wrote a reply and the screen froze, so here's the gist of it.

Radium, what the fuck are you talking about.

Reggie, these aren't psychiatrists discussing this shit. If it were, I'd let them continue, but it's just two random dudes talking about shit.

As psychology and human service students, you go by the book until you're educated enough to come up with your own, empirically proven theories. The theory we're given is to get blood tests immediately if you think a person has Bi-Polar syndrome, and examine Lithium levels.

Does the psychology community say that's definitely the answer? No. But it's the one we are given to work with. And two people that don't know a lick about psychological chemistry aren't going to get anywhere discussing shit they really don't know about.
    test
  9. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem Neos Helios

I am dissappoint that you have a boner for polysyllabic words but can't spell 'disappoint'

I am 'disappoint' that like every other snobbish armchair scientist you wouldn't have an opinion if it weren't regurgitated from Dawkins.
    test
  10. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem Neos Helios

I'll get to Reggie later.

Great points.
    test
  11. Radium

Radium f k

i

the way i look at the mind is that its kind of like this insanely big universe of different thoughts. the mind takes different thoughts and rotates them up into prominence based on different triggers. the thought that has rotated up into prominence is our current sense of identity/personality/mood. thus, who we r is always changing based on whatever is currently rotating up into prominence

basically, what we really are, ultimately, are just a bunch of thoughts rotating in and out and up and down and over and over again into prominence. you are only ever just a thought; and you actually are constantly dieing and being reborn over and over again. soon after this, a new thought will replace me and take my place.

i think if you can become more aware of how much power you have in choosing what your next thought should be, you can avoid certain triggers that muscle in try to choose for you. if you really can say confidently that you know that, then its really just up to you what kind of thought you want to have next then. and nobody really knows the true extent the power of thoughts can really have. some thoughts are so powerful that they actually can make big changes to the structure of your brain physically. like, they can really start to re-wire you

maybe, through awareness, someone can create thoughts powerful enough to stabilize their mood swings and finally get over them, possibly even despite a pre existing chem imbalance. but im just guessing that. youre right to called me biased about it. i think my criticism of bipolar disorder was reallythat since nobody really knows how it works or what it really even is, we shouldnt just go and slap a label on somebody - especially one that states you have an innate malfunction of the brain that stops you from making good decisions and being in control of yourself. im thinking thats possibly a very damaging kind of thought to pass on to someone: it might not ultimately be true at all.
    test
  12. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

that's an interesting philosophy, sort of reminds me of the idea of solipsism i.e. all you can really be sure of is the existence of your own mind through your thoughts. i can see how it could be a helpful ideology for someone who is struggling with emotional distress - that is, assuming that they are actually capable of controlling their thoughts, and more so assuming that their thoughts are actually capable of changing how they feel.

i'm just not entirely convinced that is the case. but you're definitely not the first person i've met who seems to think that some of these disorders that are so prevalent today which were unheard of not too long ago are largely manufactured by society. i'd be much more apt to agree with your premise in the case of say ADD or ADHD (perhaps not that they do not exist but that they can probably be dealt with without meds in most cases). in the case of bi-polar i've known 2 people who went off their meds and it lead to episodes, and had one cousin as i mentioned who was misdiagnosed for most his life while the disorder still fucked with him pretty thoroughly. so i guess that's left me convinced that it is a somewhat serious disorder.

so would you like us to go out and get psychology degrees so that we can continue our discussion on rapmusic.com? people discuss politics, religion, economics, science, etc all the time on here without having any formal training in said fields. nobody is expecting the next big psychological method to come out of this thread. we're discussing it for our own amusement.

i would think that since you are studying this field you could offer an interesting insight to the discussion, or maybe just some sort of substantial proof that bi-polar is caused by X, rather than simply using your degree to make an appeal to authority without expanding on your thoughts on the matter.
    test
  13. Radium

Radium f k

nah i feel you. if a person's mood swings are so severe and they show no ability/willingness to ttry to take some control over this, then they should think to try meds, just to even begin to see any type of results. probably many people are like this and thats probably whats best for them specifically. then again, some might have a greater innate capacity to be strong willed and demonstrate more resiliency. they have to be considered in this also. not every case can be considered similar. thats anotehr cirticism i have towards the way bi polar disorder gets defined and diagnosed: it just really feels like a big blanket statement

really tho im not against what youre implying but i do think the way mood swings are approached and defined must definitely be more open ended. if only just to reflect the reality that what causes mood swings is still not fully known.
    test
  14. TheBigPayback

Dead.
    test
  15. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

i thought the first post by dex was ON THE SPOT!!! good quote mayn good stuff.. tryna incorperate those philosphies into my christian walk without deviating to far from my roots
    test
  16. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

Excuse the fuck out of me? I don't know who you THOUGHT you were talking to, but you should watch your goddamn mouth.

You've never heard of "I am dissapoint" before? Perhaps you should get the fuck off of the internet then.

Also, what about that post or anything I've ever posted in this forum would lead you to make such an egregiously stupid assumption. Never assume.

Just because you can't even convince yourself that your ridiculous small minded worldview is actually reality doesn't mean you get to take it out on others...so again, watch your mouth.
    test
  17. TheBigPayback

I am disappoint at all yall
    test
  18. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

test
  19. Superman70

Superman70 edited

not much to disagree with there except the title i guess.

being an atheist does not mean you can't be in touch with the world and feel that we're all connected and all that. and is not synonymous with brawn and ego and self, even if that is how you and other approached it.

and there is always ego, even if you believe that we were created by a divine source that will put us where we need to be.

it is true that we are part of something much larger than us whether there is a god or not. the god is not required to see the sky or to find the meaning.

not saying there is no god. i tend to think no one is any more sure of that than anyone else. just that the things you mention doing are possible without that belief in a god.
    test
  20. Superman70

Superman70 edited

posted before reading this, agreed

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.