There is a god.

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Dex Uchiha, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radium

Radium f k

ah yais yais radium yais woo woo swag

(._. )

srsly though, for evybody saying its illogical to believe in god and things like that: youre missing the whole point!
    test
  2. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem Neos Helios

Meditation is crucial in cultivating true happiness and a connection with god, the ultimate reality, whatever you choose to call it.

We get so bogged down in thought that we don't really experience reality like we should.

When you meditate and learn how to quiet the mind and focus entirely on the present, you put yourself in sync with that moment to moment ebb and flow of the universe.

You truly see a blue sky and experience the smell of a barbecue in the air for the first time.

You realize that you're just a tiny microcosm of something so much larger than you and it's an amazing, grounding feeling.

I was an atheist. I was smug. I tried to see everything through the weak lense of human rationality. And it's an incomplete existence.
    test
  3. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

i don't really disagree with your conception of god, i simply don't call it that. you say its god, to me energy is just energy. i think the only difference between our view points is that you see an implicit sense of divinity where i do not. i'm not denying the 'macrocosm,' as you put it.

now the one point i disagree with you on is that you say that in order to be in harmony with the 'true essence of shit' one has to turn away from the ego or the self. this is something that only a human would ever assert. for every other creature on earth, the true essence of life seems to be an endless struggle for survival, which basically plays out as an ongoing process of self-actualization.

my challenge to your assertion is that if what you say about god is true then it doesn't take meditation or any specific state of mind to tap into that energy. that energy already defines and motivates everything we do, and there is literally nothing you could do which is any more or any less a part of it.
    test
  4. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

i dunno, man. i know anecdotal evidence is not worth much but i have a cousin who is bi-polar and slightly autistic... and for most of his childhood he was misdiagnosed as simply having ADHD cause he was hyper and his parents i guess did not look into it as much as they should have. ADHD as far as i know is not really considered as severe a disorder as those other two, or at least the connotations it carries in society are not as negative, yet the misdiagnosis did much more harm than good. once they switched him onto the right medication his personality and behavior changed dramatically for the better. i guess what i'm saying is that maybe it would help some for the people in question to not feel 'diseased,' at the same time there is always the possibility that it is an actual disease caused by chemical imbalance in which case a proper diagnosis and treatment is actually the best thing for them.
    test
  5. Radium

Radium f k

ya i think meds can stop certain processes from happening in the brain, thus altering behavior. and this probably is ultimately good in many cases. i think that meds can have some negative effects too, by stopping other processes from happening in the brain that probably didn't need to be stopped. i guess i kind of see them as being sort of like dropping a big bomb in your brain: you might get rid of some things that you need to get rid of; and you might get rid of more things than that too. to me it seems pretty obvious that if you can avoid using meds then you probably should.

if thoughts can fix your problems, then you should use thoughts. i think thoughts can be used as extremely accurate agents in the brain. you can control them and choose exactly what you want to remove/add to your brain. meds are not like this. the difference i guess would be like trying to build a lego castle with your bare hands or trying to build a lego castle while wearing boxing gloves. one can actually get you a castle and the other might just get you one big generalized castle shaped pile. but i admit for some people this might not be feasible to ask. you cant really just ask somebody to have better, more effective thoughts. the setting has to be right for this; and maybe for some this is impossible to have that setting. maybe they need meds.

my point though was that the severity of using bi polar disorder as a way to contain/interpret behavior might not just be inaccurate but even harmful to the person who is trying to use their thoughts as solutions. thoughts are extremely powerful, but they wont create themselves under certain settings. i think its fair to question if using bi polar disorder is really an effective way to create that setting
    test
  6. Radium

Radium f k

since you dont actually know that at all, it shocks me that you could then go on and create such a concrete conclusion:

it seems like you already made up your mind, to be honest.
    test
  7. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

i agree for the most part. when i was younger i was diagnosed with ADD and they put me on meds (adderall) which i eventually refused to take because they zombied me out each morning. i eventually got over my ADD by just forcing myself to pay attention because i preferred that to the pills, or maybe i just learned to cope with the ADD. either way i agree that people should avoid taking pills if they don't really have to and in many cases it does seem that some of these illnesses are over-diagnosed or at least the pills for them are prescribed in many cases which they don't need to be.

you could be right about bi-polar disorder being an inaccurate diagnosis of why somebody has severe mood swings. my only point was that you might also be wrong, in which case telling them that they are just 'immature' rather than diagnosing and treating the illness for what it is could actually lead to adverse effects even when your goal is actually to help the individual in question.

well, i don't really feel qualified to claim that i know what causes it. i can post links which state that evidence indicates it is at least partially genetic and that specific functions in the brain might be related, but at the end of the day you're right, i don't really know for sure. that's why i set up the first part that you quoted as a qualifier for the second part that you quoted. if the first part is false then the second doesnt apply. what's shocking about that?
    test
  8. Radium

Radium f k

i think you can try to treat mood swings without in effect putting a person in a one man quarantine box because they have a severe disease that makes them different from everyone in society.

the only difference between calling it bi polar disorder vs immaturity is that one title is way way less severe. i think that this lack of severity is actually very important because it creates a more conducive setting for this person to operate from. you have to explain why you think increased severity would be more helpful to them instead.

to me it would seem to make a mountain out of their problem, instead of diminishing their problem.

you cant make concrete conclusions from any vague premise. its not that you are wrong but your level of certainty that you finalize your argument with seems misplaced. you shouldnt conclude on that note. it makes you seem very biased.
    test
  9. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

obviously you dont
    test
  10. Radium

Radium f k

(-.- ; ) yeah i just de-railed this thread hecka bad i think

to get back on tanget, i co-sign dex, this thrad, and its idealistic sentimentality, to the fullest, and do the cooking dance
    test
  11. TWAMP$iN

TWAMP$iN proper weaponry

beautifully written agreed whole heartedly.
    test
  12. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

Yes we do. Lithium levels, for the most part.
    test
  13. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

U lost me at tao lol
    test
  14. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

the other difference between those two labels is that one of them is disingenuous. there is already a word 'immaturity' which already has a specific meaning. it's not indicative of the disorder in question, so i would wonder how exactly we would differentiate between someone who is just immature and someone who has bi-polar disorder and is in need of treatment. if acknowledging the existence of the disorder in question is 'putting them in a quarantine box' then i wonder how exactly they could be treated for that disorder without it having the same effect.

very well.
    test
  15. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

One's a chemical imbalance. That's the difference.

How are you two still debating something that has been scientifically proven?
    test
  16. Radium

Radium f k

whats disingenuous is pre concluding that you know whats wrong w someones brain. the problem of mood swings can be coming from different things (eg not exclusively chemicals like you seem to be implying) and your level of certainty (control) that you are trying to impose over this completely vague picture does not really seem to fit with that.

for example not everyone is chemically balanced, whatever that even means.

some are more sensitive than others and experience more intense feelings and thoughts. there is a possibility that this itself is not actually a bad thing that needs to be treated by taking drugs. maybe increased sensitivity and intensity of thoughts and feelings is not actually the villain.

there is a possibility that the part that actually does need to be treated is the way that this increased sensitivity and intensity of thoughts and feelings reacts to triggers in the environment which ultimately can cause a mania or depressive state

in which case, a person might try to overcome what is really their immaturity, instead of trying to overcome an innate chemical imbalance (what does that even mean) that makes them unique
    test
  17. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

HOLY FUCKING SHIT BI-POLAR DISORDER IS CAUSED BY DISTURBANCES IN LITHIUM LEVELS. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE PRESCRIBED LITHIUM.

Holy fucking shit.
    test
  18. Radium

Radium f k

i challenge you to a sword duel

(>_<) +++{>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    test
  19. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

Just saying, imagine, uhhh, we'll say black holes, were a discussion point.

And Dex and I are discussing the nature of their creation.

And you're a physics student, who has already obtained a degree in physics.

And you come in, and say, hey guys, cool discussion, but this is what actually happens.

And then Dex and I just continue our discussion.

That's what just happened.
    test
  20. Radium

Radium f k

i was not aware of your black belt in psychology
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.