The West Coast is dead because.....

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by R-Tistic, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L.R.G

L.R.G Lookin Real Good

west coast is not doin anything big commerically, yuk n crooked i is dope in my opinion but realistically mainstream music is what carries the genre. the reason its "concsidered a genre" is because its mainstream.
    test
  2. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

Everybody has a natural bias based on where they grew up and what they grew up listenin to that....but I am definitely not biased towards anybody just because of where they are from. I could really care less where anybody is from....I'd say Lil Wayne and Ludacris flow n delivery gets on 98% of the rappers on the west right now.

I posted this thread basically seein how everybody thinks....so as shown, some people feel like you, and others feel opposite. I just think it's funny when cats like you will knock the fuck outta the west, and most of y'all won't acknowledge how much of an influence we had and still have on everything that comes out, and act as if we are just dead because our music is "trash". It's 100 diff reasons, and yeah one is because most west rappers who have had a chance to blow haven't evolved enough to make an impact...but there have been many songs and artists that definitely had what it took to blow, but they didn't get that push.
    test
  3. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

Cali Iz Active
    Prolly One Of The Only Singles Ive Felt This Year (2006)
    test
  4. all KillaH

all KillaH New Member

name some "ill" west coast artists that i probably haven't heard r-tistic, i'm open minded as fuck about music i've lived in houston, long beach, chicago, and philly, out of all 4 different regions in the US on average the average east coast head shits on the average head from any other region
    test
  5. R-Tistic

It seems like you know most of the illest, and if you don't like some of the ones already mentioned, I'm sure it's not many other ones that would impress you.

You might be open minded to an extent, but it all depends on your taste...because it's cats that you said are wack like Daz, Kurupt, Murs, and a few others, who get a lotta love outside the west...so it's not like we are the only ones who feel em.

And I'm sure the av east coast rapper does get on most other regions....L.A. has been too busy on other bullshit the last couple of years, and our rappers haven't stepped it up as much as they should have...I always say that. L.A.'s upcoming scene, or the "New West", doesn't have a lot of rappers who are really that impressive to me or anyone else, and we do need to get so me rappers with some diversity. The best dudes I hear are usually good at one thing and average at everything else....like it'll be a random dude with major freestylin skills who can't write a good song or hook. And too many of them want to sound east coast, and not only are they usually not as good as the east coast rappers, but that's just not our style or sound.

Our drought has just been too damn long though....the east coast definitely suffered some droughts, and with those, they still had enough rappers to keep em alive commercially at the time, even though most of them sound outdated as hell now and only a few made major impact, such as Nas, Mobb Deep, and Biggie...and I'm speakin of the 93-97 phase when they were tryin to figure out what direction to go.
    test
  6. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

R-Tistic has never made a post I've disagreed with.

But yeah... Lack of new talent is the West's problem. All of the big rappers are old as all hell and mostly fallen off, and the new ones are local.

I still think that Roscoe is the West's best chance of getting back on.

Even if Game was huge everywhere, I doubt he'd have brought the West back on. He didn't feel West Coast to me at all. I don't know what that really means, to be honest - Personality, perhaps. Game was mad generic. They found an east coast mixtape rapper in the West and tried to make him a star.

BTW, I also feel that Daz and Kurupt are fairly wack these days - Especially Kurupt. He's utterly terrible. As for Daz, my ears can't take his loud yelling ass for long. Rhymes are weak, too.

What's happened to Murs' voice? It sounded really different on his last album. Blunt smoke?
    test
  7. R-Tistic

Roscoe does have a very good semi-commercial but still lyrical appeal to him. Just as all of our other best rappers, nothing ever happened for them, and I don't know if it's primarily because the record companies didn't push them or not...but Ras, Crooked, Sly, Scoe, and a few others all suffered major from that. And it's bad because all we need is two of them to be pushed with major force for us to make some noise.

With Game, I somewhat predicted what would happen from him coming out, but I really couldn't be sure. I figured that he'd give exposure to the west and make companies want to take a chance with west coast artists...and this happened to a point, because G. Malone, Bishop Lamont, and several others did receive major deals. But at the same time, his overall image and sound didn't do much for the west at all.

When he was coming out, it started up MANY debates about what it meant to "sound west coast" and to "sound east coast"...most people said Game sounded East Coast, and some people who disagreed would say "that is ignorant, you only say that because he can rap good, because he has lyrics and multis, and doesn't sound like a 90's rapper"....but on the flipside, people said "he sounds east because of his voice, his accent (which sounds nothing like L.A.), his choice of words and slang, the technicalities in how he raps (rhyming the same words), and just his overall style"....and I agree, he did sound a lot more like an east coast rapper, and even east coast people would agree.

So with him sounding east, it didn't do much of anything for the west, because he was just a "west face" as black people say that certain blacks are just a "black face among whites". So som people who didn't like the west coast still didn't like them, because we didn't have somebody out there who sounded west, or re-defined west and had a unique style as Snoop did...and with him bein pushed so hard by G-Unit, companies probably felt he would have never been as big without 50 and G-unit, meaning a west coast artist getting pushed from scratch would still be pointless and no profit would be seen.

Two years ago, we were ALL excited, thinking "Game is bringing back the west"....and he claimed to do so. However, it's NO WAY POSSIBLE for ONE person to bring back an ENTIRE coast, and it wasn't his responsibility at all so you can't be mad at him. When the west was on top, it was not just one artist...it was about 5-6 MAJOR artist who knew and bumped, then 5 or so who were very big at the time as Jeezy and Lil Wayne are now but weren't #1 yet, then 15-20 one hit wonders...and those numbers are just wild estimates, but that's much more than just one big artist. And the sound of rap was all west coast....you hear these TV show theme songs and commercials soundin like "Yeah" and "In da club"....10 years ago, they were soundin just like "What's my name" and "California Love"....such as the Jamie Foxx show theme song, and the whole Fresh Prince Soundtrack. So it's no way Game would be able to make that all happen.

***steps off soapbox***

So yeah....artists are not the only way the west was running things, because the sound of music was shaped by what the west was doing.
    test
  8. pestilence

pestilence now believes he's hyphy.

Not Pac...

The Twinz (from what I can't see) are nowhere to be found.
    The Dove Shack are nowhere to be found.
    The old Warren G is nowhere to be found.

You can't find laid back cds like these anymore.
    test
  9. fcuk

fcuk New Member

fcuk the west coast. last west coast music i bought was pacs greatest hit. probably gonna get the new dre but thats because i grew up listening to that fat piece of scum music.

we all know the east coast run this industry. im not gonna vene say why cuzz it will offend 85% of u in here who are from idaho, utah, wyoming, iown and kentucky....

nyc, we run this. ask about us
    test
  10. R-Tistic

Yeah you do definitely do continue to run it....
    test
  11. fcuk

fcuk New Member

theres no stripper turned rapper out in nyc though.
    compton can eat a fat u know
    crenshaw can eat a fat u know
    la la, can eat a big, fat, u know
    test
  12. j$crILLa

j$crILLa ~$crillVille~

i m still bumpin westside rap more than anything, but the reason its not the most popular is because its not radio freindly music i guess.... and like dude said, the west hasnt a new artists blow up other than GAME, but the vets are still makin great music... $HORT, 40, DPG, CUBE, QUIK, SNOOP... to name a few
    test
  13. SuB zer0

SuB zer0 A.D.R.I.A.N.N.A

reguardless they still on top right now
    test
  14. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

how is the south on top

nobody from the south even released a multiplatinum record except for luda and that was years ago
    test
  15. all KillaH

all KillaH New Member

you ever heard of "Co$$" r-tistic, i've heard a few tracks they did and every one was a banger, i haven't been able to find an album or anything they did, they're from long beach i believe
    test
  16. E. Fate

E. Fate Guest

It's dead because my nigga Spit Fiya aint been given his just due.
    test
  17. R-Tistic

Nahh, where did you find em at? What kind of style do they have?
    test
  18. R-Tistic

I donno the statistics....but they have remained in constant rotation on every medium, and have put out a numerous amount of artists who've been successful since 98, and I think at least 10-15 have gone platinum if not more. They've had a whole lot of singles, and ran the club scene.
    test
  19. all KillaH

all KillaH New Member

i heard them first on this producer dude named "exile"s album called dirty science then i did a search and found a track they did with RBX and another track, i'll upload a joint
    test
  20. all KillaH

all KillaH New Member

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.